Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That’s what I say about TSLA investors too :)

Hitting the call option gamma goldmine is hardly a measure of the underlying fundamentals. Like you said, TSLA did almost go bankrupt multiple times despite the supposed “cash” on their balance sheet. Elon is a hustler of epic proportions however, and raised money to save the company, so credit where credit’s due.
yup, that and an estimated $5B in government assistance. Totally self made.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well I decided that since I’ve never driven an EV, I’d shut up and take a model 3 out.

Conclusions Following 40 min drive in a Model 3 Performance.

Positives

1. Build quality far better than my wife’s uncle’s model S (it’s an older one)
2. Love the roof
3. One pedal drive is great
4. ITS OBVIOUSLY FLAMING QUICK
5. Steering quick and direct although heavy
6. Absolute tech fest
7. Suspension smooth

Bad points

1. Feels clinical and soulless
2. Not enough thigh support (for me) from front seats
3. Rear seating position is weird as is mentioned on reviews
4. PUT A HUD IN IT!!!
5. Start looking closely and it still looks cheap on the inside
6. Don’t like the wheels

Totally understand why they sell so well, as a stopgap car I’d be happy enough no doubt, but I wouldn’t want one for longer than 2 years.

obviously all just imho
you missed calling out that front bumper cover - why did they have to make it look like Donald Duck? The 3 had SO much more potential with what the learned from the S and X data; that bumper cover...total butterface.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I owned a Model 3 for just over 2 years before making the "dream upgrade" to a CT4S almost 2 months ago.

On the subject of interior quality: first impressions are definitely in favour of the Taycan, especially with my spec:
Porsche Taycan If you’re bored sometime - go test drive a Model 3 20210326_145257
Porsche Taycan If you’re bored sometime - go test drive a Model 3 IMG_0445

However what I have noticed (now that the wow factor has worn off) is that I miss the thick steering wheel rim and super comfy plush seats of the Model 3. I never look at my interior anymore (usually busy driving somewhere!) but whilst I can choose not to look at the Tesla's bland dash, I can't choose not to feel the thin Taycan steering wheel or the flat and unsupportive 14-way "comfort" seats.

The Taycan definitely feels more luxurious, with a smoother quieter ride and amazing Burmester sound system. Rear wheel steering is a blessing and makes the Taycan handle like a small hatchback, no exaggeration! But fumbling with the sloooow PCM (especially when wireless carplay interrupts my audio a few seconds into every drive) feels archaic compared to the Tesla's seamless Spotify integration.

Then there are the things I really miss about the Tesla:
  • One-pedal driving - Tesla has this dialled in so nicely and I'm reminded of it every time I try to bring the Taycan smoothly to a stop with the brake pedal. The Taycan can't even remember my favourite regen setting!
  • An app that works!!!
  • Cruise control that automatically sets to the current speed limit plus a margin, your choice of absolute (kph/mph) or relative (%)
  • Rear footwells that are big enough for my 2 and 4 year old kids to comfortably stow their bags and still have room for their legs
  • Phone key - an amazing luxury I'm reminded of every time I have to go back inside the house because I forgot my Taycan key
  • Unconvoluted charging - I want my charging to start at 12am, and that's a few taps in a Model 3. Doing the same in a Taycan requires lots of messing around with profiles, timers, and the Home Energy Manager, which in my case no longer works (but thankfully the car has remembered my electricity pricing schedule.)
There's no doubt the Taycan is the "driver's choice"... but 98% of the time when I just want a comfortable, electric mode of transportation, I find the Model 3 is a better lifestyle fit once you commit the time needed to learn its quirks; more than can be achieved in a quick test drive.