rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Yeah the model 3 is a conundrum for me. After test driving one a few years ago I definitely did not want to go back to the conventional 4 and 6 cylinders you find in most cars under 60k. It is nimble, compact and light for an EV. Love the view out the front - reminded me of 80s hondas in a good way. But I just could not get over the poor quality and weird interior choices. So…I’ve been in EV limbo ever since. The taycan is the first EV that truly excites me. I think the next gen Audi A4 built on VW groups PPE platform will be the first real competitor to the model 3 in its price range. (All other EVs in that price range currently are cross overs)
Sponsored

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
seriously - if you claim to be a car person - one should at least consider the competition - now I’m not saying it holds a candle to the Taycan - but put down your biases - and put yourself in the mind set of new car - less than $50k - and I’ll review what’s available…for my money it’s the best 4 door mid-range sedan on the market right now - and blows away anything in it’s price class - that doens’t mean it’s perfect and the are pro’s/con’s - but seriously I’d rather have it than anything else in the 40-50k price range.

and the preformance model for less than $60k out the door - is seriously hard to beat - have to get a Taycan turbo to be as quick.

again not perfecct, not saying it doesn’t have con’s - but compare it to any similiar 4/6 banger in the same price zone and I think it’s hard to not seriously consider it.

262C2A50-1D5C-4435-A73C-E0EC45875BED.jpeg
I test drove the M3P twice after being hell bent on it for months. It wasn't until then I sighed as I realized it wasn't for me, and I was going to have to look elsewhere.

The Taycan had the opposite impression, thought it'd be good, but it felt great. Rest is history.

Vehicles are very emotional purchases, anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I just don't like it, both inside and outside.
I'm not interested in a Tesla, never been, never will.
Had a i3 for years and had so much fun, totally unique car, excellent quality, remote control works very well.
All carbon fiber monocoque, that is so cool, very light for an EV and therefore very efficient!
Brilliant piece of engineering, bold design and drives brilliantly which you wouldn't expect from it's shape...
RWD and corners like a rabbit, very impressive.
Remember, this car is already 8 years old...

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
wow - ok don’t - I didn’t say go buy one - I said go test drive one - I personally will test drive anything - I like have personal experience to draw on - but this the most hostle I’ve ever seen this forum - apologies to everyone - Tesla is a disruptive influence - I think it’s good to have broad experiences…but maybe I”m wrong….

anyways it’s not like I can compell you to do it - but it was a suggestion…

Bolts are fun to test drive also - nifty little car.
I'd hope there's not much excitement on a modern Porsche forum for an overpriced pleather-clad transportation appliance. :p

That said, I do own a Bolt, and it's a hoot (and with good tires, I bet it's even better), but a fully-loaded new one cost us $31k last year. Cheap price to match the cheapo interior. (Probably still built better than a Tesla too, since they aren't built at NUMMI)

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
wow - ok don’t - I didn’t say go buy one - I said go test drive one - I personally will test drive anything - I like have personal experience to draw on - but this the most hostle I’ve ever seen this forum - apologies to everyone - Tesla is a disruptive influence - I think it’s good to have broad experiences…but maybe I”m wrong….

anyways it’s not like I can compell you to do it - but it was a suggestion…

Bolts are fun to test drive also - nifty little car.
No hostility whatsoever intended on my part and absolutely no apology from you necessary for making a suggestion about a test drive. That was totally reasonable. I was simply disagreeing with your assertion that the Model 3 is "the best 4 door sedan available on the market right now". My opinion is that it's not. If I came across too strongly expressing that, then MY apologies.

It IS good to have broad experiences; no disagreement there. It's just that there are certain things about which, for whatever reason, I have zero interest so no point in wasting anyone's time, including my own.

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
I have a Model 3 Performance. I have a Taycan Turbo S. I've done some bit of suspension and brake work on my M3P to get it to a good spot from a handling perspective. But in the end, I jumped all over a Taycan. We only keep the M3P because my wife likes driving it, she feels it drives like a gokart. When given a chance to go for a drive.. I pick the Taycan every single time.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
There are well over 150 EV models on the market here and every single one of it has much, much better quality. So that's a hard no!

I want to test drive new BMW, Toyota, EQA, EQS, new Nio with 150kWh battery and self driving Level 3, yeah even the new Mach E GT sounds good. The Polestar, VW ID 4, ID 6...

Porsche Taycan If you’re bored sometime - go test drive a Model 3 1626583421218

Last edited:

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Why is it „the most hostile you’ve seen this forum“ ? I don’t see anyone being toxic or insulting in any way.

It should have been clear that the vast majority does not like the M3.

Are you offended because you expected more likes and „yea-sayers“?

We have had this topic on the forum plenty of times, so I do not see the reason and need for this post here at all.

Besides that many, like me, want to stay away from the bad politics, communication and blatant scams of that company, you should keep in mind that this is a Porsche forum. Nobody here bought Porsche for the „best bang for the buck“. The M3 is the absolute opposite to what Porsche represents. The exterior is extremely boring, making a VW Polo look like a sports car. And the interior is the worst thing that has happened to automobiles since PT cruiser.

Was my post too hostile? I hear on the Tesla forums it’s all rainbows and love.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Besides that many, like me, want to stay away from the bad politics, communication and blatant scams of that company, you should keep in mind that this is a Porsche forum. Nobody here bought Porsche for the „best bang for the buck“. The M3 is the absolute opposite to what Porsche represents. The exterior is extremely boring, making a VW Polo look like a sports car. And the interior is the worst thing that has happened to automobiles since PT cruiser.

Was my post too hostile? I hear on the Tesla forums it’s all rainbows and love.
Couldn't agree more. For me everything T, even the Y is already old, old models. Why look back? Who want's to buy old stuff?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have to say no matter how many times I’ve looked and driven modern Tesla’s I just couldn’t do it. The Model S and X are just INSANELY expensive for what is a budget car interior (forgetting how numb they are to drive). The BASE model 3 is a good value proposition FOR AN EV (not an ICE), at least what you get matches what you pay. But add ANY option and you rapidly leave that.

THE leaf and the Bolt matched their pricing and both were fun to drive in different ways. My i3 was not worth the premium in ride but damn it was innovative and unique in its interior.

There are now too many equal or better options for the M3l I’ve driven it a few times it’s fine, but I’d say it’s like driving a more sporty Japanese’s mid range sedan.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
This EV versus ICE transition is playing out on the ads during the British Open. The Audi eTron GT RS is a premier sponsor. Those ads are followed by the BMW M3/M4 ad. The Audi plays up the technology and refinement that comes with an EV and the M the playful power and driving experience. These next few years are going to interesting indeed.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
The Model 3 is definitely worth a test drive. That is if you need reassurance that you made the right choice in passing up on a Tesla. While zippy, its handling, coachwork, and interior quality have much to be desired in contrast to ice cars in its price range. My neighbor's honeymoon phase with the Tesla 3 lasted all but 30 days when he felt the need to trade in for what he called, a shoddily-made car with an interior that became less endearing with each passing day. He ended up placing an order for a Taycan for his wife.

Last edited:

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
seriously - if you claim to be a car person - one should at least consider the competition - now I’m not saying it holds a candle to the Taycan - but put down your biases - and put yourself in the mind set of new car - less than $50k - and I’ll review what’s available…for my money it’s the best 4 door mid-range sedan on the market right now - and blows away anything in it’s price class - that doens’t mean it’s perfect and the are pro’s/con’s - but seriously I’d rather have it than anything else in the 40-50k price range.

and the preformance model for less than $60k out the door - is seriously hard to beat - have to get a Taycan turbo to be as quick.

again not perfecct, not saying it doesn’t have con’s - but compare it to any similiar 4/6 banger in the same price zone and I think it’s hard to not seriously consider it.

262C2A50-1D5C-4435-A73C-E0EC45875BED.jpeg
That’s like comparing the newest riverfront seafood place to Red lobster. But they both have lobster tail !
There’sa market for both but that’s why red lobster is at the mall next to Cracker Barrel and the seafood house is downtown on the riverfront

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve been reasonably happy with my S and have put up with the crappy interior because the software is simply ahead of any other car I’ve been in. OTA updates, mobile service at home, and the AP with lane changing and freeway changing is very reliable. I am not a fan of Musk’s lying but I will give three examples on the flip side. When I bought the car I was promised 1000 miles of free supercharging for life but it turned into unlimited free supercharging. Second thing is that about a month after buying the car, a faster version came out for the same price. They took our cars in for an hour and made them over a second quicker for 0-60 for free. Finally, there have been a number of meaningful software updates with autopilot being significantly improved over time. I think we have to acknowledge that Tesla is ahead of the rest on reliable updates, in 4 years I’ve had zero issues with updates.

That being said, I am thrilled to getting a Taycan and a high quality and comfortable driving experience again. Just want to acknowledge that Tesla isn’t all bad.
Sponsored