First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Yeah, lot of cons and pros...
I own a Tesla Model 3 Performance for 1,5 years/41,000km. Had together with a Porsche 911C4 991.2 and BMW M140i. I used 90% the Tesla, so sold the 911 and waiting for the Taycan GTS release (missing the Porsche feeling).
I never felt cheap the Tesla next to the other two German cars. I had zero issues with it (up to now) next to couple of ones with 911. Goes like crazy if you need and not stressed when the traffic is slow. It is a real 'sleeper' if you like a style like this. Premium guys pushing from behind first, you just push the pedal and become small in the mirror immediately. Their next move much different, believe me :)
Have to agree with the original topic 100%. No other car -value per money- is able to approach it. I always happy to sit in, working everything like should be in other higher class cars. Maybe plastics are lower level a bit, but the sharp and intuitive easy handling screen over compensates it easily as a full picture. Other cars are miles away from this level. For your eyes the interior is simply clean and functional, never had a bad feeling to sit in from a high spec 911. Especially opposite on the handling usual everyday things like menus, music, navigation etc.
We will keep it for my wife, and the next car that goes the M140i.
The price of the Taycan GTS will be nearly 3 times higher after spec... We'll see, but it is worse 3 times? - I am sure not (in advance).
Sponsored

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
There is no doubt that Tesla have contributed massively to the overall move towards EV’s, but being brutally honest, I personally find the 3 and Y just damn right ugly, the S is a good looking car, but I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a Tesla.

I’d be blown away by the performance (no doubt), but the minimalist interior is just not for me and looks cheap imho.

The yoke on the plaid is just being different, for the sake of being different.

I’m delighted they exist, but they are just not for me.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is no doubt that Tesla have contributed massively to the overall move towards EV’s, but being brutally honest, I personally find the 3 and Y just damn right ugly, the S is a good looking car, but I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a Tesla.

I’d be blown away by the performance (no doubt), but the minimalist interior is just not for me and looks cheap imho.

The yoke on the plaid is just being different, for the sake of being different.

I’m delighted they exist, but they are just not for me.
Where I live Model 3s and Model Ys are everywhere. Nobody is buying A4s or 3-series or C-class sedans anymore because for that driver and for that price range, the Teslas are just a superior means to get from A to B. No time at the dealer, no oil changes, no service intervals no loaner cars no getting out of the car in the dead of winter to fuel up, etc. A to B comfortably and reliably with minimal intrusion and the latest tech. Tesla is eating the Germans’ lunch and will continue to do so. The new generation M3s/M4s are out and by the looks of it nobody is buying them. I can count on one hand how many I've seen out in the wild. In past generations it would be a BIG DEAL to have a new M3, but now it's just a non-factor.

All of the criticisms levied here are legitimate - Elon is a dipshit, the interior is cheap-ish, the car Is straight line fast but lacks handling and steering feel. These are car fan/car forum critiques. The average non car person/non Porsche driver doesn’t know what you’re talking about and doesn’t care. And these cars are not for you. I'm a former Tesla driver and a future Taycan driver because I do care about these things (and my car's looks) and so I'm willing to shell out 2X the cost of my Model 3 performance to get them. Most people are not me.

So you can badmouth them all you want, but you’re watching the revolution real time and it’s passing you by as the new software/battery/AI/chip (and sure, cars too) 21st century monolith marches on.

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it’s passing you by as the new software/battery/AI/chip (and sure, cars too) 21st century monolith marches on.
You do realize that this is the Taycan forum and many people here have bought one, ordered one or plan to order one, so I am not sure exactly what you think is passing people by. LOL.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You do realize that this is the Taycan forum and many people here have bought one, ordered one or plan to order one, so I am not sure exactly what you think is passing people by. LOL.
The idea that Tesla is some passing fancy and doomed for failure or just another car manufacturer competing with Toyota or VW (or Porsche). I'm not a fanboy at all, but it's not just a car company and its aspirations go far beyond whatever we think of in terms of what we expect from car manufacturers. That's what I mean, and I don't see any other car manufacturers coming close to those kinds of aspirations (and even if they wanted to - they couldn't).

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where I live Model 3s and Model Ys are everywhere. Nobody is buying A4s or 3-series or C-class sedans anymore because for that driver and for that price range, the Teslas are just a superior means to get from A to B. No time at the dealer, no oil changes, no service intervals no loaner cars no getting out of the car in the dead of winter to fuel up, etc. A to B comfortably and reliably with minimal intrusion and the latest tech. Tesla is eating the Germans’ lunch and will continue to do so. The new generation M3s/M4s are out and by the looks of it nobody is buying them. I can count on one hand how many I've seen out in the wild. In past generations it would be a BIG DEAL to have a new M3, but now it's just a non-factor.

All of the criticisms levied here are legitimate - Elon is a dipshit, the interior is cheap-ish, the car Is straight line fast but lacks handling and steering feel. These are car fan/car forum critiques. The average non car person/non Porsche driver doesn’t know what you’re talking about and doesn’t care. And these cars are not for you. I'm a former Tesla driver and a future Taycan driver because I do care about these things (and my car's looks) and so I'm willing to shell out 2X the cost of my Model 3 performance to get them. Most people are not me.
Quite a number of people at work have model 3’s and they are very happy with them, my friends that have driven model 3’s (converting petrol heads), have decided against them in favour of other options (BMW / Polestar / VW / Porsche) for similar reasons to those I have mentioned.

I am a massive lover of cars, although I’m not (if there is such a thing) your archetypal Porsche owner, although I’ve always hoped to have one.

In all likelihood this Taycan will be the pinnacle of car ownership for me, unless financial miracles happen. I’m buying this mainly with my heart, knowing future chances will be limited.

If I purchased a Tesla (at this stage), I would purely see it as a form of transport, not a car I would get excited about driving (if that makes sense).

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Quite a number of people at work have model 3’s and they are very happy with them, my friends that have driven model 3’s (converting petrol heads), have decided against them in favour of other options (BMW / Polestar / VW / Porsche) for similar reasons to those I have mentioned.

I am a massive lover of cars, although I’m not (if there is such a thing) your archetypal Porsche owner, although I’ve always hoped to have one.

In all likelihood this Taycan will be the pinnacle of car ownership for me, unless financial miracles happen. I’m buying this mainly with my heart, knowing future chances will be limited.

If I purchased a Tesla (at this stage), I would purely see it as a form of transport, not a car I would get excited about driving (if that makes sense).
totally makes sense, and why I sold mine. But for every petrol/gear head there are 10 people who just want to the grocery store and back. This is also my first Porsche. I had hoped it would be a 718 Spyder, but i have small kids, this is a close second and I can’t bear the thought of causing thousands of mini explosions of combustible former algae just to get myself to the grocery store if there’s a better way to do it.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I don't see any other car manufacturers coming close to those kinds of aspirations (and even if they wanted to - they couldn't).
As a current Tesla model Y owner, I beg to differ. My model Y is fine, but it is certainly not the 'be all and end all' car. A friend of mine just got his model Y mid November and he feels the same: its a good car but certainly not a great car. As he said to me "it has its quirks".

In my opinion, the worst thing about the model Y is that the promised range is simply not there. When I bought my car I was sold on a 313 mile range. In my day to day driving (about 30 miles round trip to work) during the summer with A/C on, I barely get 200 miles from 80% down to less than 10% (you can extrapolate this to be around 275 miles on a full 100% to 0% charge). Some people believe that Tesla delivered model Y's with less than specified battery capacity, others blame the poor range on aggressive driving (not me) and others blame the poor range on the tires (mine are the base tires).

Whatever the cause of poor range, Tesla delivers good cars but they over promise and under deliver on features.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Quite a number of people at work have model 3’s and they are very happy with them
Ask them if they are happy with the window glass rattling inside the doors every time they are shut. Tesla says it's "normal" and "working as designed"
(Side note: Tesla paint SUCKS)

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ask them if they are happy with the window glass rattling inside the doors every time they are shut. Tesla says it's "normal" and "working as designed"
(Side note: Tesla paint SUCKS)
Its normally

1. dead quick
2. cheap to run
3. makes fart sounds

and I’m not joking lol

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Its normally

1. dead quick
2. cheap to run
3. makes fart sounds

and I’m not joking lol
I hear ya. Model 3/Y: made for the masses.

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hear ya. Model 3/Y: made for the masses.
And they’re damn good at it, like has been said, a large percentage of people don’t care about panel gaps, paint imperfections etc (apparently much improved since Shanghai started supplying the UK market).

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hmm, well, no. I've looked at and ridden in a Model S. Don't like the looks (especially the interior). As for the Tesla Model 3, there isn't anything about the looks (inside or outside) that appeals to me. Being an EV or even straight-line acceleration isn't my primary consideration for a new car.

The Taycan will be my first EV and if Porsche hadn't started making the Taycan I'd probably have bought a 911.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
or just another car manufacturer competing with Toyota or VW (or Porsche). I'm not a fanboy at all, but it's not just a car company and its aspirations go far beyond whatever we think of in terms of what we expect from car manufacturers. That's what I mean, and I don't see any other car manufacturers coming close to those kinds of aspirations (and even if they wanted to - they couldn't).
Of course they are just another car manufacturer. People buy cars, they don't buy aspirations. They are selling cars to just like VW and Toyota are selling cars.

Their stock is selling aspirations, like the 2020 levitating 0-60 in 1.9 second, 600 mile roadster with the laser windshields, or the 2017 coast-coast FSD trip after showing what has now been revealed as a faked FSD video (paint it black).

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But for every petrol/gear head there are 10 people who just want to the grocery store and back.
That is why Toyota has sold over 1.1m units last year. No many people are buying a 60k car to people who just want to the grocery store and back. LOL.

I can’t bear the thought of causing thousands of mini explosions of combustible former algae just to get myself to the grocery store if there’s a better way to do it.
You can't bear that thought? OMG.
Sponsored