daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
seriously - if you claim to be a car person - one should at least consider the competition - now I’m not saying it holds a candle to the Taycan - but put down your biases - and put yourself in the mind set of new car - less than $50k - and I’ll review what’s available…for my money it’s the best 4 door mid-range sedan on the market right now - and blows away anything in it’s price class - that doens’t mean it’s perfect and the are pro’s/con’s - but seriously I’d rather have it than anything else in the 40-50k price range.

and the preformance model for less than $60k out the door - is seriously hard to beat - have to get a Taycan turbo to be as quick.

again not perfecct, not saying it doesn’t have con’s - but compare it to any similiar 4/6 banger in the same price zone and I think it’s hard to not seriously consider it.

Porsche Taycan If you’re bored sometime - go test drive a Model 3 262C2A50-1D5C-4435-A73C-E0EC45875BED
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would also add the Ford Mach-e in the list for those who need SUV-ish functionality. The Mach-e currently has a lot of software bugs (based on forums reports) just like the Taycan but Ford is releasing fixes much faster.

I look fwd to test drive the Mach-e GT in 2 months.

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It has lots of performance, and that's it. In that price range it's missing lots of luxury features. Even the lane change assist isn't where it belongs. Everything in it is just cheap.

I'd take an Audi interior any day for that kind of money. I'd rather have a Golf R than a Model 3.

Once every car manufacturer has an EV for every product line, we can get rid of comparisons between cars in completely different classes, like the Model 3 and the Taycan. The Taycan is not an 3-series, A4, C-class competitor either.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
seriously - if you claim to be a car person - one should at least consider the competition - now I’m not saying it holds a candle to the Taycan - but put down your biases - and put yourself in the mind set of new car - less than $50k - and I’ll review what’s available…for my money it’s the best 4 door mid-range sedan on the market right now - and blows away anything in it’s price class - that doens’t mean it’s perfect and the are pro’s/con’s - but seriously I’d rather have it than anything else in the 40-50k price range.

and the preformance model for less than $60k out the door - is seriously hard to beat - have to get a Taycan turbo to be as quick.

again not perfecct, not saying it doesn’t have con’s - but compare it to any similiar 4/6 banger in the same price zone and I think it’s hard to not seriously consider it.

262C2A50-1D5C-4435-A73C-E0EC45875BED.jpeg
Dang....I keep clicking on Apple Pay (since it is yours) and nothing seems to be happening ..... or maybe I just ordered 6 of them ..... better check your account :)

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would also add the Ford Mach-e in the list for those who need SUV-ish functionality. The Mach-e has a lot of software bugs just like the Taycan but Ford is releasing fixes much faster.

I look fwd to test drive the Mach-e GT in 2 months.
If I hadn't bought a Taycan, the Macan EV would surely be my next car.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
The biggest thing the Model 3 has going for it, and it's significant, is that it's an EV. But if the advantages are just that it's electric and quick in a straight line, it doesn't come close to blowing away everything else in it's price range in almost every other important area.

For $50-60K the Model 3 is competing against the Audi S4, BMW M2, and Mercedes C43, all of which are much more complete automobiles in almost every category a car enthusiast would consider. And the $30-50K range includes lower spec versions of the models mentioned above as well as other ICE vehicles like the already mentioned Volkswagen Golf R or EV's like the Ford Mustang Mach-E.

Again, I'll admit that being electric and fast, the Model 3 has appeal. But despite the admonition to put aside Tesla bias, it's difficult for me. I'm sure this will raise some hackles, but in some ways Elon Musk is a P.T. Barnum for our times. IMO, he and his company make claims and promises that are at the margins of honesty and good business practices.

An example is right there in the screen shot above, where the MSRP of a Model 3 is shown as $44K "after estimated savings". Since the Model 3 no longer qualifies for a tax credit I assume the estimated savings are based primarily on fuel expenses over some number of miles. But there is so much variability in what it costs to charge an EV that it's really misleading to tie down a specific number. Besides, I can't think of any other car company that lists the MSRP for it's vehicles based on what might be recouped on fuel, service, or trade in value. The MSRP is the MSRP and the other things may be mentioned but shouldn't be included in the actual price. In my experience, only Tesla would do that, once more stretching the envelope on playing fair with the customer.

Bottom line, there are a dozen cars I'd rather own than a Model 3, my Taycan being just one of them; even given the huge price differential. End of rant. :)

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thinking about mixing it up and getting back into a Tesla Dave ? Not cross shopping a model S with your taycan ?

I haven't had a chance to get into a Plaid, but the older S's, and the model 3 (my wife has one and I drive it from time to time) make me unhappy as a driving experience. The steering is drugged numb and the suspension is terrible. I'm just not an American muscle car guy and I can't live like that.

At the same price point as an Model3 performance, I'd prefer an M2 or a Cayman. Or stretch a little into a BMW M3 or a used 911.

Now, a model 3 with a few after market upgrades .... yeah. I'm definitely Unplugged Performance curious.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will say as uninterested I am in owning one, the model 3 and its performance / $ is what persuaded me ICE is completely doomed, environment or not, on a strictly economical scale.

Look what just happened to Bugatti. That's foreshadowing boys. Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari are all pushing out hybrids. Even they see the writing on the wall.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Since the Model 3 no longer qualifies for a tax credit I assume the estimated savings are based primarily on fuel expenses over some number of miles. But there is so much variability in what it costs to charge an EV that it's really misleading to tie down a specific number.
Yes, “gasoline savings”. Which, in addition to what you point out, probably evaporate pretty quickly if you’re coming from an EV…

Porsche Taycan If you’re bored sometime - go test drive a Model 3 2323ACE3-36E2-49F6-84B0-14567558E127

FWIW, I don’t think I could be bored enough to go test drive a Model 3.

I guess I’ll just refrain from calling myself a “car person”.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The biggest thing the Model 3 has going for it, and it's significant, is that it's an EV. But unless the advantages are just that it's electric and quick in a straight line, it doesn't come close to blowing away everything else in it's price range in almost every other important area.

For $50-60K the Model 3 is competing against the Audi S4, BMW M2, and Mercedes C43, all of which are much more complete automobiles in almost every category a car enthusiast would consider. And the $30-50K range includes lower spec versions of the models mentioned above as well as other ICE vehicles like the already mentioned Volkswagen Golf R or EV's like the Ford Mustang Mach-E.
This right here ^^^^^

The Model 3 has EV performance, and the fact that it's an EV going for it. If an electric M2, S4, and C43 were on sale right now, the Model 3 would be seriously out matched. I drove a Model 3 performance, and it was a blast to drive, but the interior is on par with a $20k-$30k car.

The Model 3 interior is like Ikea furniture. It looks really cool at first because it's different, but once you really start to touch and try it out, you realize how cheap everything is built.

Tesla clearly is still benefiting from hype and being first to market with a solid long range EV. But once the market starts getting flooded with competitive EV's from every automaker, they will need to either up the game when it comes to fit and finish, or they will need to drop the price of the Model 3 to the low $30k.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
wow - ok don’t - I didn’t say go buy one - I said go test drive one - I personally will test drive anything - I like have personal experience to draw on - but this the most hostle I’ve ever seen this forum - apologies to everyone - Tesla is a disruptive influence - I think it’s good to have broad experiences…but maybe I”m wrong….

anyways it’s not like I can compell you to do it - but it was a suggestion…

Bolts are fun to test drive also - nifty little car.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
wow - ok don’t - I didn’t say go buy one - I said go test drive one - I personally will test drive anything - I like have personal experience to draw on - but this the most hostle I’ve ever seen this forum - apologies to everyone - Tesla is a disruptive influence - I think it’s good to have broad experiences…but maybe I”m wrong….

anyways it’s not like I can compell you to do it - but it was a suggestion…

Bolts are fun to test drive also - nifty little car.
Yeah I think your post triggered a couple of strong reactions! I think my attitude as an ex Tesla owner will be similar to the attitude of an ex smoker i.e. becoming the strongest critic
Sponsored