f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Just because a company has assembled vehicles for Toyota and Honda does not mean that a vehicle they designed will be anywhere near that quality.
Very much so.
The quality of a car is much more dependant on the conceptual and engineering design of the car than the quality of manufacture, which is a second order effect

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Just because a company has assembled vehicles for Toyota and Honda does not mean that a vehicle they designed will be anywhere near that quality.
They also manufacture NIO EVs. I had a detailed look at it in the local showroom. Quality looks like my last Audi and certainly on par with VW. Perfect panel gaps. And when you drop the door close, the sound is better than on my Taycan with it's missing soft close! Time to visit GAC showroom. ;)

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Thanks for this. Soon to take my new 22 4S PHX- Vegas. Can’t wait. Trouble will be staying under ...100.
Done the PHX - Vegas route twice in my 21 4S. Should be fine cruising in range mode and having fun in Sports Plus mode on the way up to charge in Kingman. Got in at 7% on one trip, just depends where you start from in the valley. The way back downhill is no problem.

Drop me a PM if you’re interested in an AZ group drive some time.

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
Your next goal should be to do the same trip in Range at 80mph, to just provide a data point comparison.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
90+ mphs speed is definitely what killed the range. The key in situations like this is to watch the range, and slow down towards the end to make you you arrive above 0% at the next charger. I've done things like this in a Tesla, and 90+mph cuts the range almost in half, especially going up in elevation.

PS> Does the Taycan have a live estimate of SOC % at the destination like Teslas do? (yep, I'm still waiting for a CTT allocation, 8 months and counting...).
If you use the Nav+ system to calculate a route to your destination, even if you don't follow that route, the nav system give you a live display of your estimated SOC at the destination. I've found that on some trips the estimated SOC increases as I drive and on some times it decreases as I drive.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If you use the Nav+ system to calculate a route to your destination, even if you don't follow that route, the nav system give you a live display of your estimated SOC at the destination. I've found that on some trips the estimated SOC increases as I drive and on some times it decreases as I drive.
Thanks. On a Tesla it goes up and down too, depending on your consumption. The way I use it is fairly simple - slow down when the estimated destination SOC drops below 5% (I used to aim at 2%, but learned that must account for possible roadwork/detours), if the estimated destination SOC goes up, speed up again.

PS) What is Nav+? Is it an option on a Taycan like the Porsche Intelligent Range Manger, or maybe a feature of PIRM? Or is it a standard feature?

Last edited:

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
TLDR
I ran my battery to zero and had to be towed. A few insights and questions follow.

Background
I make the trip between San Diego and Las Vegas quite frequently. The first leg of the eastbound trip is from my apartment in San Diego to an Electrify America in a little town called Hesperia up in the mountains. The trip is 130 miles.

I always drive in Sport Plus mode, Normal suspension, Normal ride height. When I begin the trip, the car always tells me that I have 200 miles of range left. So in other words, I give myself a 70 mile cushion. Despite ostensibly having 70 excess miles to work with, I always roll into the Hesperia EA with a low but comfortable 11 miles of range remaining.

The elevation of my start point in San Diego is near zero. The elevation in Hesperia is 3,100 ft so the trip is net uphill. I normally travel at around 75 mph.

Differences this Trip
I left earlier this time. Very little traffic. Average speed was in the 90's. It was 45 degrees outside. Chilly for Southern California I suppose, but by no means extreme.

Car hit 0 miles of range with a "park car immediately" message in Hesperia, six miles from my destination. I pulled into a Chevron and got a tow truck to get me the remaining six miles to my charger.

photo1.jpg

What it's like to be a Moron while Driving
At around 15% you get a friendly message telling you to mind your range. You've all seen that one. At somewhere around 5% you get a more sternly worded message indicating to charge immediately. This wasn't an option for me. It's not like there were any other chargers nearby according to my PlugShare app. The lowest number on the range indicator is 3 miles. You don't see 2 or 1. It goes from 3 immediately to a double dash ("--") for some reason. So it cheats you out of two miles. On the main console it shows zero:

photo2.jpg

A turtle icon appears on the screen which I assume is Taycan's way of saying, "I'll let you drive a tiny bit more but I'm going to make your life difficult until you feed me."

What it's like to be a Moron while Waiting for the Tow Truck
I had a fair amount of time to think about my poor choices. I initially thought, "I'm going to take one for the team. I'll drive slowly along this isolated/safe road in the direction of my EA charger, see how many miles past zero I can get before it quits, and report back to the Taycan forum with a result. After all, the closer I get the less distance I'll have to be towed, and who knows, it's only six miles to the charger so maybe I'll make it."

After doing a bit of Googling I decided against it. I read that you can damage your battery driving past zero and if you truly hit "real" zero your battery is permanently killed. So I just waited at Chevron for the tow.

Some Findings
There's so much contradictory information out there but from what I gather, there're two types of zero: FakeZero and RealZero. At FakeZero, there's still 15% SOC available which means that had I kept blasting toward my destination, presumably I would've made it, albeit in turtle mode. But driving below FakeZero damages the battery and isn't recommended. If you get to RealZero, your battery is toast.

There are posts on this site indicating that if you plug in to charge at 0%, the charge rate is ridiculously slow due to "preconditioning" that must take place first. This is false, at least at FakeZero. I plugged in at FakeZero and instantly started getting 250kW. In the time it took me to take a lap around Walmart and use the restroom, I was back at 80% SOC and I was on my way.

It's More Common than You Think
I asked my tow driver how often he tows EVs that stall out due to lack of charge. He said I was the first Porsche he's handled but he tows Tesla drivers all the time. And they, like me, all seem to stall out in the same place, after that big uphill climb leading into Hesperia. They check their range prior to the hill, it looks ok, they attempt the hill and run out of juice. And each time they tell the tow driver, "Man, I really thought I could make it." I think I said the same thing to him. :(

When I showed up at Electrify America there was a nice guy charging his ID4 who saw the my car being unloaded from the tow truck. He said, "How many miles short were you?" I told him six and he said that sounds about right. He'd had the same experience.

Negative Effects?
The car seems healthy with one notable exception. Now, when I charge to 100%, the range shows 189 instead of 207 (in Sport Plus mode). Not sure why the drop. Could it be that I damaged the battery? Possibly. But another possibility is that the range estimator simply reset itself. When I first got the car in June 2021, the 100% range was pegged to 189 miles then gradually crept up as I continued driving. Hopefully that'll happen again. We'll see.

Closing Questions and Thoughts
When I left San Diego, I had a 70 mile surplus (200 miles of range to cover 130 miles of distance) but that 70 mile surplus turned out to be a six mile deficit! That's a pretty big miscalculation. I assume the factors involved were: (a) 90+ cruising speed, (b) net uphill from 0 to 3,100 ft, (c) 45 degree temperature. Which of these is the most important factor? I'm not sure. The range estimator had no idea what my average speed was going to be, nor the fact that a major uphill climb was imminent so I can't really blame the tech. But is there some mathematical formula I can manually use myself to scale down the estimated range based on elevation differential, intended speed, etc.? Nothing exact of course but something rough maybe? I can't lie. Being able to drive only 124 miles on a near full charge kind of bums me out. :(

My fellow charger at EA was telling me that Tesla owners have the option to purchase this thing where if you run out of juice, you plug it into your car and you can get another few miles. That would've saved me, although man, it must be super heavy to carry around in your trunk. Anyway, does Porsche offer something like this?

Would there be any meaningful range benefit from setting the ride height to Low while on the freeway?

Thanks for listening and don't forget to check your range.
This makes a good case for carrying a Tesla adapter. You could have stopped anywhere and charged at a Tesla “pump.” also why just EA? There are other groups to belong to in a bind. But yes, uphill at 90 will do it for sure.

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The miles left indicator is a rough guess and completely useless when you have hilly terrain. Our home is on a hill and about 2000 feet elevation gain/loss on 7 miles. Windy road. On the way down I gain 4 miles in recuperation mode. On the way up I lose 40 miles. Always use the NAV it knows the profile and predicts pretty accurately what is left.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
see @Pozuelo post on actual/real-world consumption vs. what it calculates at.....if I am reading that thread right, our PRIM doesn't calculate properly and is assuming more conservative consumption than actual, which will cause many of us to run out of juice, despite having PRIM say we will make it....this could be a major issue. Or, perhaps I am being an alarmist and there is nothing to this, but seems like to me they may have manipulated calculated vs. actual to get better values, which is exactly what VW did with dieselgate and caused the genesis of ElectrifyAmerica (which is fantastic for the small percent that it works perfectly for and the rest of us just complain into the ether).

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The PIRM is very spot-on and the data that is incorrect will not lead us to be stranded, unless you calculate manually with said piece of incorrect info.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The PIRM is very spot-on and the data that is incorrect will not lead us to be stranded, unless you calculate manually with said piece of incorrect info.
+1. My experience w/ PIRM has been like Pozuelo's. Pretty spot on from my experience of driving from Washington to Texas and then back over 7 days. Part of which including climbing over 6,000ft in Colorado and multiple stretches of 85mph thru Oklahoma, Kansas & Utah
Sponsored