Impact of Taycan on equilibrium-is it just us?

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, 997.2 Turbo, Macan GTS,
Country flag
My 4s is ordered but I have two unresolved issues where I thought maybe some of you might have some input to share.

I have owned at least 12 porsches and 60 + sports sedans, etc. I am a car addict-some of them barely make it home from the dealer according to my wife - but as I retire it would be wise to limit mistakes so I can enjoy as many new car experiences as possible.

a) have driven Taycan Turbo S twice-once hard like a real sports sedan and once like a daily driver. Both times we have come away with a distorted equilibrium between the ears (similar to getting off a boat without the nausea). I've not seen this reported anywhere else. But for us it appears the low cog, mass, and lack of roll must be creating head shake. Wife says we will get used to it but just curious if anyone else has noticed? A longer test drive is schedule in next 10 days.

b) given this issue I am still ambivalent regarding which roof to choose. Prefer aluminum but might be too claustrophobic

Looking forward to your thoughts...
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Only time I get a ‘feeling’ in my head is from the violent launches, as there are probably pretty high short burst G’s. I have had no issues from throwing the car around curves too much, You may be sensing the countering behaviour of the suspension on the weight? Like the start and stop of a movement?

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Only time I get a ‘feeling’ in my head is from the violent launches, as there are probably pretty high short burst G’s. I have had no issues from throwing the car around curves too much, You may be sensing the countering behaviour of the suspension on the weight? Like the start and stop of a movement?
My wife and I test drove the turbo s and mostly drove with “typical sports car style” but of course tried two or three hard accelerations. I experienced noticeable equilibrium discomfort for a couple of hours, but my wife felt unpleasant effects (she was in the back seat) for almost 24 hours. We are not fast car novices, but the Taycan has a unique feeling that not everyone is prepared for. I’ll have to promise her not to be over aggressive to get her to ride with me in the future.

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My wife and I test drove the turbo s and mostly drove with “typical sports car style” but of course tried two or three hard accelerations. I experienced noticeable equilibrium discomfort for a couple of hours, but my wife felt unpleasant effects (she was in the back seat) for almost 24 hours. We are not fast car novices, but the Taycan has a unique feeling that not everyone is prepared for. I’ll have to promise her not to be over aggressive to get her to ride with me in the future.
thanks, gents.

So it is impacting others but you folks seem to believe it is acceptable or you will adjust in time. I dunno about paying $149k hoping I'll adjust so definitely need more seat time first.

I've never been a pure speed guy; for ex, always passed on 911 turbo's because I prefer feel and handling more than violent speed. Wondering if passing on pdcc would change anything or if it is just the speed that causes that feeling between the ears. Have it on wife's cayenne but never liked on any other Porsches.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, did you test drive a Turbo or 4S? I wonder if the power difference and no PDCC may help? I know that if I do not accelerate hard the Turbo S is incredibly smooth and comfortable in Normal mode. I will be taking a longer trip today and will update after, but so far am and my main passenger both like to be in the car when not being aggressive for long period of time.

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, did you test drive a Turbo or 4S? I wonder if the power difference and no PDCC may help? I know that if I do not accelerate hard the Turbo S is incredibly smooth and comfortable in Normal mode. I will be taking a longer trip today and will update after, but so far am and my main passenger both like to be in the car when not being aggressive for long period of time.
the Turbo S was the only test drive option. I thought driving the Turbo like a daily would have eliminated that feeling but it did not. But in my Porsche experience I've learned that I like the GTS and S versions better than the Turbo and GT3 since I do not go to the track. Look forward to your update.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
agree with epiral. The 4S has less jarring power and let’s you spec the options to avoid some of the performance smoothing ones like PDCC (which come standard on the turbo S). You should also be able to configure the air suspension for more comfort.

have you driven a Tesla model 3 performance or model S ? Just wondering about your personal comparison.

i like the glass roof a lot, fwiw.

ps that’s a nice car history, congrats.

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
agree with epiral. The 4S has less jarring power and let’s you spec the options to avoid some of the performance smoothing ones like PDCC (which come standard on the turbo S). You should also be able to configure the air suspension for more comfort.

have you driven a Tesla model 3 performance or model S ? Just wondering about your personal comparison.

i like the glass roof a lot, fwiw.

ps that’s a nice car history, congrats.
I did drive a Tesla suv and S about 12 months ago. Just wasn't the experience that I was looking for from handling and luxury POV. I may never use ludicrous speed for example. The Tesla made no emotional impact on me; i could appreciate it for what it is-but certainly not my thing.

Thanks, I am enjoying the diversity of my current cars. Taycan can be fun in a new way since I've never had an electric car and in today's climate not sure a cool yellow ferrari would work for me.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So here is what I noticed on a drive today: part of the feeling is the combination of the mass and how well the car hides it. Usually if a car is around 5500 pounds I don’t tend to take an exit ramp at 65. In this care I simply don’t notice it, so I do it. But the momentum/physics still rule and you can really feel the pressure. Could that be it.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So here is what I noticed on a drive today: part of the feeling is the combination of the mass and how well the car hides it. Usually if a car is around 5500 pounds I don’t tend to take an exit ramp at 65. In this care I simply don’t notice it, so I do it. But the momentum/physics still rule and you can really feel the pressure. Could that be it.
mmmm. His head doesn’t weigh any more and the force against it isn’t substantively greater. the body roll and cornering is quite different from both a 911 and a Tesla. Might be something disquieting there. I’ve seen plenty of folks get nauseous on the track, and that’s closely tied with the inner ear equilibrium

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This and the fact that it is electric. Electric cars apply their torque instantly. You may think you are driving like a daily driver because you didn’t hit 100 or do a burn out, but every time you accelerate you tend to ‘jump’ forward. Those small rapid accelerations are tougher on older inner ears.

My model s is not the performance and it can make me sick if I’m not careful.

But in time you become familiar with the immediacy of electric acceleration and learn a lighter touch. :)

The 4S will be easier in this regard than the turbos. But I test drove a turbo and had no problems when I was driving. When the salesman was driving it was another story.

Hope that helps.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well the physics are you are part of the mass of the car, so the centripetal force is still there. I definitely have the same feeling in heavier sports car than say an Alfa 4C which weights less than half of the I Pace or the Taycan,

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Helpful input from all, thanks. Good to see there are others with similar reaction that get past it.

Definitely an adjustment to the instantaneous acceleration and the mass of the car. I didn't remember that being part of the Tesla test drive I did but that was a year ago so could be faulty memory.

I guess the big unknown is whether we as individuals will acclimate. I've never acclimated to large boats on the ocean but have no issue with the sunset catamaran cruises. A 4s without PDCC may work but I definitely will need longer test drives to know since we are 0 for 2 so far...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think different persons react different to this strong acceleration and ability to take corners at huge speed. If you are likely to get seasick than it will maybe play a part here as well.

I saw somebody who tried to do 20 or 30 fyll throttle acceleration in a Tesla model 3 when the Taycan test was done with Johnny at Fullycharged, . The Tesla guy said afterwards he could just not take any more accelerations!

I have never been affected by cars going around a track when driving myself. And I have done a lot of Rally driving in Nordic Countries and also a lot of tracks in the UK. but when Kevin Magnusson drove me around a few laps in a LeMans car, I was not myself for more than 24 hours! I would not have missed the opportunity though!

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Helpful input from all, thanks. Good to see there are others with similar reaction that get past it.

Definitely an adjustment to the instantaneous acceleration and the mass of the car. I didn't remember that being part of the Tesla test drive I did but that was a year ago so could be faulty memory.

I guess the big unknown is whether we as individuals will acclimate. I've never acclimated to large boats on the ocean but have no issue with the sunset catamaran cruises. A 4s without PDCC may work but I definitely will need longer test drives to know since we are 0 for 2 so far...
my guess is the car is so stable and quiet that you are going much faster than you realize you are in these turns. Many / most folks have had that experience and written about it. There isn’t the same aural feedback from the engine revs to suggest maybe letting off the throttle.

try it in Normal or Range mode and baby the throttle more than you would an ice sports car. Hopefully that helps. You can also try the fake engine noise sound.
Sponsored