Impact of Taycan on equilibrium-is it just us?

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Personally, when I drove the Turbo for my first test drive, I didn’t notice anything. However, for my second test drive, my wife was in the passenger seat. She felt it immediately. I was “forced” to do a relaxed drive around town. She commented about 2 hours after that she still felt it. Honestly, she is easily made carsick, and I sort of dismissed the complaint as me just accelerating to quickly. Perhaps I was too quick to judgment.

I ordered a 4S (can make changes for another month) with the performance package, and that comes with PDCC. As a Porsche novice, why would that make a difference? Can someone help me understand? Thanks.
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally, when I drove the Turbo for my first test drive, I didn’t notice anything. However, for my second test drive, my wife was in the passenger seat. She felt it immediately. I was “forced” to do a relaxed drive around town. She commented about 2 hours after that she still felt it. Honestly, she is easily made carsick, and I sort of dismissed the complaint as me just accelerating to quickly. Perhaps I was too quick to judgment.

I ordered a 4S (can make changes for another month) with the performance package, and that comes with PDCC. As a Porsche novice, why would that make a difference? Can someone help me understand? Thanks.
not clear that it would. It will make the car more stable and allow more aggressive cornering. If your problem is being surprised by how fast the car can accelerate and making a bunch of unconscious corrections causing the human to bounce around the cabin just a pinch more, then maybe worse performance in the corners is a self control mechanism ? The car will roll a little more which might be more comfortable for some folks than lots of speed adjustments in silence with a tight suspension ?

my guess is this is mostly small acceleration and deceleration adjustments that aren't smooth enough, and the car has so much torque with such instant response that people end up being surprised.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If I had to guess the PDCC lags slightly behind the reaction of suspension, so you may perceive start of motion then stop, and some may be susceptible to this. On a not reactive suspension the motion/reaction will be slower and more fully “perceived” by your inner ear and proprioception mechanics and not be as disturbing.

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, 997.2 Turbo, Macan GTS,
Country flag
If I had to guess the PDCC lags slightly behind the reaction of suspension, so you may perceive start of motion then stop, and some may be susceptible to this. On a not reactive suspension the motion/reaction will be slower and more fully “perceived” by your inner ear and proprioception mechanics and not be as disturbing.
I was merely speculating that skipping PDCC might help slightly-for some of the reasons noted. Has anyone tested the 4s without PDCC vs the Turbo/s?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
maybe ? I have PDCC on the 911 TTS which is almost as fast and has almost as much torque as the Taycan (not quite as instantaneous). Very similar in straight line performance. At the limits, even more brutal on the corners and braking (1500# less is a lot of physics forgiveness). I haven't noticed anything like this. But I've also learned I need to be very smooth on the inputs, and probably keep throttle < 10% on public roads or I'll be going twice the speed limit before you can count to 3. Okay, on the highway 6.

I felt very at home in the taycan :)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's likely just not being used to the accelerator, and there's a lot more torque than you are used to. My wife complains how I drive her Bolt, because I drive it like a go kart... :p
Wow, my wife says the exact same thing about my Bolt driving. :facepalm:

Going for a Taycan test drive with her this time tomorrow, glad I read this thread tonight. I will try to lighten my right foot.

Also I plan to use the Electric Sport Sound a bit for the trip. The audio feedback may help with speed expectations.

Thank you @BillyC for starting this discussion and all who contributed.

Mhoepfin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Hi,
Tesla Model S owner here and follower of the Taycan. Definitely this is an issue in any fast EV. Tesla has a driving mode called “Chill Mode” which reduces the throttle response a bit and makes it more comfortable for passengers. Turns out this is what I prefer to drive in day to day for this reason. Maybe the Taycan has a similar mode you can test drive the car in?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
In Range or normal mode the throttle response is very smooth and very sedan like, so yes. The suspension also significantly changes its response time and character, its night and day.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
Tesla Model S owner here and follower of the Taycan. Definitely this is an issue in any fast EV. Tesla has a driving mode called “Chill Mode” which reduces the throttle response a bit and makes it more comfortable for passengers. Turns out this is what I prefer to drive in day to day for this reason. Maybe the Taycan has a similar mode you can test drive the car in?
Yes, as this was my 2nd test drive I already knew what the car was capable of so I started in Range mode, got on the freeway to middle Lane hit 70 and the power dropped. Sigh... The default limit of range mode. Reached down the steering wheel to the Sport Chrono dial to Normal mode, And poof 80. Ahh! :cool:

Wanted to take on a twisty drive but Saturday's are too busy for the dealership. But the spouse got a feeling. She had no I'll efects., But I was trying my best to hold back. Flow of the faster traffic. ;)

Now just a wait for an order slot as I only queued October 2019. :rolleyes:

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
It's likely just not being used to the accelerator, and there's a lot more torque than you are used to. My wife complains how I drive her Bolt
That would be my guess also......plus, without a doubt this is a personal thing, but I'm no doctor :).
I'm past retirement age and fortunate to still track some wickedly fast Pcars.
Max G's and WOT affect everyone differently.......my wife will never go out w/me again, and that's fine (BTW she also needs the Dramamine on the large boats).
Daily driving should be very different and just like you get comfortable with different clutches, different throws, different brakes......pretty sure you'd get comfortable w/the throttle feel of Taycan.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I had a similar situation as a passenger in a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I normally love the sensation of speed, but I didn't enjoy that sudden acceleration. Am guessing at least part of the unpleasantness was due to being a passenger.

I think the "launch mode" on any performance EV is a great parlor trick, but I'm buying a performance sedan more for how the car handles, not the zero to 60 times. The fact that the Taycan is capable of that kind of acceleration is great, but that doesn't mean it's an aspect of the performance I would use. I look at it a little bit like top speed. The car is able to easily do twice the legal speed limit on any road in my area, but personally it's not something I would be taking advantage aside from the track.

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would be my guess also......plus, without a doubt this is a personal thing, but I'm no doctor :).
I'm past retirement age and fortunate to still track some wickedly fast Pcars.
Max G's and WOT affect everyone differently.......my wife will never go out w/me again, and that's fine (BTW she also needs the Dramamine on the large boats).
Daily driving should be very different and just like you get comfortable with different clutches, different throws, different brakes......pretty sure you'd get comfortable w/the throttle feel of Taycan.
Hope you folks are right-going to do a longer drive late this week. For me it is handling, steering, ride > than pure speed. So if I can handle the curves I am in; I am unlikely to use anything < 4 sec 0-60. However, if i bought a car that made me sick every time I drove it, even my understanding wife who just ignores the car addiction would laugh like crazy..

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Hope you folks are right-going to do a longer drive late this week. For me it is handling, steering, ride > than pure speed. So if I can handle the curves I am in; I am unlikely to use anything < 4 sec 0-60. However, if i bought a car that made me sick every time I drove it, even my understanding wife who just ignores the car addiction would laugh like crazy..
just tried my first Taycan today and was very happy with how it feels on the road. Admittedly I was only behind the wheel for 15mins and we never really left town. However, the hard accelerations were much smoother than in myold MS........ quick but smooth. A very nice and controlled sensation. Had the sports sound on and must say i love it, and it also gives you an understanding of where you are in the acceleration moments. When you go slow and accelerate it gives great feedback when the car changes gear etc.
This was a Turbo so very excited for my Turbo S. :)

OP
OP

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To close the loop out of courtesy:

I drove the Taycan Turbo S for 2 hours today around the area we live. Driving it like a normal 5 series type sports sedan produced only a very mild reaction. I then worked my way up to sport without any incremental equilibrium impact but I did not "toss" it. I should be ale to work uptown more fun driving over time. Re-confirmed my order.

Side note, driving home in the Alfa felt crude with more bouncing about on same roads.
Sponsored