sneksis911

First Name
Wald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, XC90R
Country flag
Do you guys know if I can import an US Taycan in Germany in terms of charging compatibility? Or other EV specific issues?
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I would think its cost prohibitive. Porsche does not allow you to do European Delivery of a Taycan. So it's not like you can just use an adapter.

To start charging connectors are different between the two regions. Also you would need to look at the PET diagrams and see if there's any difference with the onboard chargers/communications modules, etc.

I would also suspect the car would need to be recoded for Europe.

Porsche Taycan Import US Taycan to Germany? screenshot_1263

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Do you guys know if I can import an US Taycan in Germany in terms of charging compatibility? Or other EV specific issues?
there are adapters for the charging port - would need one adapter for AC charging and another for FastDc

could/would Porsche swap/install the US charging port for the euro-charging port - I'm sure it's possible, but it may not be feasible with out special permission/instructions from Porsche to the service tech

it will take time - to make the changes - since it's not a common process car modifications could be delay'd for quite some time while Porsche works up the procedures for the euro modifications…

there may be software differences (matrix lights for example) than can not be "swapped" and other regional legal requirements - new software image loaded onto all vehicle systems? again possible, but does anyone really have the procedures for such a thing? probably not - again more delay while Porsche figures it out for tech instructions - _IF_ they agree to do it…

will it be cheap? - most likely not…

can it be done, Sure probably

can it be done in a timely fashion - probably not…but maybe.

but you could probably sell the current Taycan for good money
lease a euro Taycan for equal or less money than shipping/modification cost
and then buy a new shiny Taycan with all the +1 enhancements when you return to the US

that would be my path - rather than throwing money at fairly specific modifications that no one will understand/want if you go to sell the vehicle.

OP
OP
sneksis911

sneksis911

First Name
Wald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, XC90R
Country flag
Thanks you’re probably right. Better sell and buy euro version there…

Kaytan

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Plus, it'll always be a grey (re)import with a US VIN, so when it's time to sell, you'd take a hit there as well. This was less of a concern when the EUR was still stronger than the USD, but nowadays it'd be cleaner to sell your car in the US, change that bundle of $$'s into a bigger bundle of €€€'s and buy another Taycan over there.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
there are adapters for the charging port - would need one adapter for AC charging and another for FastDc
Max AC charging would be slow for US car in EU, as it could only utilize a single phase (so 7KW max?)

could/would Porsche swap/install the US charging port for the euro-charging port - I'm sure it's possible, but it may not be feasible with out special permission/instructions from Porsche to the service tech
It's more than just ports, you also need different harness (more wires) and different onboard charger to handle 3 phases in EU vs single phase in USA.

there may be software differences (matrix lights for example) than can not be "swapped" and other regional legal requirements - new software image loaded onto all vehicle systems?
Porsche has that covered, as they do European delivery for ICE cars with matrix headlights.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Max AC charging would be slow for US car in EU, as it could only utilize a single phase (so 7KW max?)

It's more than just ports, you also need different harness (more wires) and different onboard charger to handle 3 phases in EU vs single phase in USA.

Porsche has that covered, as they do European delivery for ICE cars with matrix headlights.
I think the charger is the same for EU and US - but the J-1772 connection does not have the connection for 3-phase (it only has 2 high voltage lines vs. 3 high voltage lines for EU connector) - the onboard chargers are same part number for EU and US - my service guy checked - you are right the harness from the charging port to the charger unit is different (not enough wires because of the "missing" voltage lines and other connectors not in the J-1772) but the physical hardware is the same - but has a "reduced" hardness when connected to a J-1772 North American charging port…

so it would be a "new" EU charging port + harness - but the actual rectifier/AC/DC converter is the same in US as EU.

so if you swap the physical port and harness you could do 3 phase - in theory.

but the matrix lights are "disabled" for US market - even if you take EU delivery - that was what I was referring to - the car is "configured" for US restrictions/regulations -undoing the software differences to make a US car match EU configuration is possible in theory but maybe not in practice.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the charger is the same for EU and US - but the J-1772 connection does not have the connection for 3-phase (it only has 2 high voltage lines vs. 3 high voltage lines for EU connector) - the onboard chargers are same part number for EU and US
Are you sure? Why then is the single phase power max 11KW in US and 7KW in EU?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my service guy confirmed it…two part numbers world wide - one for 11 kW and one for 19.2/22 kW - lots of difference harnesses/wire-bundles leading to the unit however…to deal with different charging ports…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Could it be just a current limitation for the pins on their type 2 connector? Quick google search says 16A and 32A are common for their pin ratings.

If it’s limited to 32A and they have 230V single phase….then that’s what they get.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
3-phase is uncommon in domestic premises in the UK but normal in France (where I lived for a while)
I think the 7kW limit here is the current limit for a single socket on our 230V nominal supply not the car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3-phase is uncommon in domestic premises in the UK but normal in France (where I lived for a while)
I think the 7kW limit here is the current limit for a single socket on our 230V nominal supply not the car.
I wonder why the 21KW charger in EU had a problem with single phase charging at 7KW (hence Porsche recommended 6KW) but no problems in the US charging at 9KW or 11KW. Or is the latest PMCC nerfing masking the single phase charging above 6KW issue too?
Sponsored