JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Because we had a sudden snowfall shortly after I took delivery I wen’t out in my driveway and fitted the winterset. I had purchades the 20” Turbo wheel set with goodyear winter tyres (original porsche parts). I read the manual (important info on jacking and securing the suspension in there). Changed the wheels and changed wheel settings in the PCM. Went for a drive to let the tyre pressure sensors to be calibrated and connected. But with no result.

Went to the dealership where I bought the car only for them to inform me that the tyres were supplied with a code on the label that was on each tyre. This code must be programmed in the car (PCM engineering mode?) for the system to work. But I was not aware of it - and did not take note of the codes. The car is going to the dealership for the coding to be done. 1-2 hours of labour. Damn.

Just a heads up to you guys.

Porsche Taycan Important advice when fitting new wheel sets 2538039A-56C9-4B94-B6DF-5BE87577ED00
Sponsored

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I don't believe this is true.

I put my new Winter Wheels and Tires (Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elects) on my car myself several weeks ago. Tirerack shipped the pre-mounted wheels and tires directly to me. TPMS sensors were pre-installed.

The only thing I had to do was change my wheel selection in the PCM settings menu. (Thanks to info posted here in this forum). All you have to do is change the wheel selection "to something else". Even if you have the same wheel size, just change it to something else and then change it back again.

I simply changed my selection from "21 inch Summer" to "20 inch Winter" and the car reprogrammed itself to work with the new TPMS sensors in just a few miles after driving it. You should get a message that your TPMS system is being reset when you first drive the car after changing your wheel setting.

I never had to enter any code. My car picked up the new TPMS sensors in just a few miles.

This sounds very much like more dealer bullshit. Many Taycan users here have mounted their own winter wheels/tires. Its pretty shocking the crap the dealers are telling Taycan owners...

Did you ever get a message from the car that it was resetting the TPMS system?

Where did you get these wheels/tires? Are you sure they have Porsche compatible TPMS sensors in them?

Is this a MY20 or MY21 Taycan? (Mine is a MY20 TurboS)

Last edited:

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
I swapped wheels and had to do the same 'programming' in the pcm to recognize the new sensors. You can do it in 10-15 minutes.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I swapped wheels and had to do the same 'programming' in the pcm to recognize the new sensors. You can do it in 10-15 minutes.
What?

Something more than just selecting a different wheel size?

10-15 minutes is a loooooong time? What exactly did you have to do? What info did you have to provide? ...and where did you have to enter that?

All I had to do was change my wheel size. It took like 10 seconds. I didn't have to enter any codes or reprogram anything. Others have reported the exact same thing. (See thread Here and Here)

If you had to reprogram something, and it took 10-15 minutes, then our experiences are VERY different.

Is this a MY21 thing?

EDIT: I just added a post to the original TPMS thread to let folks know this one is here as well. I also provided specific info (part no) regarding the TPMS sensors in my wheels. It might be pretty ironic that aftermarket TPMS sensors are more Porsche-Compatible than the Porsche ones... (My wheels are not Porsche wheels).

Last edited:
OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine is a MY21 and i did select / change the basics in the PCM but it clearly wasnt enough. Maybe a MY21 related thing. I have read the entire manual - and nothing is mentioned here - but the manual is based on the MY20 as I see it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Went to the dealership where I bought the car only for them to inform me that the tyres were supplied with a code on the label that was on each tyre. This code must be programmed in the car (PCM engineering mode?) for the system to work. But I was not aware of it - and did not take note of the codes. The car is going to the dealership for the coding to be done. 1-2 hours of labour. Damn.
I have had the same experience, but I bought non Porsche wheels in 20 inch, with Pirelli NFO winter tyres and they were supplied with sensors. The wheel shop in the U.K. ( pre Brexit) said they had programmed the sensors for my 20 Taycan etc etc. I could however with a borrowed sensor reader see that the actual sensor ID in my summer wheels were different from the sensor ID in the winter wheels. No result in changing wheels in PCM and drive. It just did not work at all.

I took it to Porsche centre and they said, these wheels are not original Porsche, nothing we can do! We then discussed this and they came up with the solution to take the car in, take the wheels off and supply and fit new approved Porsche sensors and programme the ECU.
Cost 1250 Euro! About 3 hours work.

So your quote is probably similar. There was a cost of 100 Euros to connect the car to their PIWIS tool!!!

My solution was to read off the sensor ID‘s in my summer wheels, note them down. The tyre shop then cloned a set of new tyre sensors with those addresses and fitted new sensors. All took 40 minutes to do and they charge me 210 Eurosfor work and new sensors! So try to go to a tyre shop and see what they can do. Borrow their sensor reader to see what ID you have on the summer tyres.

And then it took about 2 km of driving and all sensors were working in the PCM.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I put my new Winter Wheels and Tires (Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elects) on my car myself several weeks ago. Tirerack shipped the pre-mounted wheels and tires directly to me. TPMS sensors were pre-installed.
Did you ever pass by Tirerack with your summer wheels so they could read the ID of the sensors? Or did you just order via the internet? In such case Tirerack must have had the correct IDs somehow.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you ever pass by Tirerack with your summer wheels so they could read the ID of the sensors? Or did you just order via the internet? In such case Tirerack must have had the correct IDs somehow.
No, this is not that.

Its simply that these TPMS sensors don't require any codes to be set at all. (Their description on Amazon says specifically "No Programming Required"). I never went to TireRack and they never came to my car. No "labels" on the tires. Nothing. They just worked "right out of the box".

All I did was unbolt my summer wheels, bolt on the winter wheels (they shipped directly to my house), changed the wheel size in the PCM Settings, and went for a short drive. TPMS posted a message that it was resetting and in only a couple of miles it was complete.

In all honesty, I was surprised I even had to change my wheel size. My BMW's all automatically "request" to do a TPMS reset if they don't see the sensors they are expecting. Pretty obvious logic, don't you think?

My Tesla just figures out the old sensors have disappeared and does the reset automatically in the background. It just does it. No user intervention required at all. Pretty convenient, huh?

My GMC truck (race hauler) requires me to use the Bosch TPMS tool to reprogram its "PCM" to accept the sensors. Needlessly stupid I think...

Peterw

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo -soon
Country flag
No, this is not that.

Its simply that these TPMS sensors don't require any codes to be set at all. (Their description on Amazon says specifically "No Programming Required"). I never went to TireRack and they never came to my car. No "labels" on the tires. Nothing. They just worked "right out of the box".

All I did was unbolt my summer wheels, bolt on the winter wheels (they shipped directly to my house), changed the wheel size in the PCM Settings, and went for a short drive. TPMS posted a message that it was resetting and in only a couple of miles it was complete.

In all honesty, I was surprised I even had to change my wheel size. My BMW's all automatically "request" to do a TPMS reset if they don't see the sensors they are expecting. Pretty obvious logic, don't you think?

My Tesla just figures out the old sensors have disappeared and does the reset automatically in the background. It just does it. No user intervention required at all. Pretty convenient, huh?

My GMC truck (race hauler) requires me to use the Bosch TPMS tool to reprogram its "PCM" to accept the sensors. Needlessly stupid I think...

Hi all
i have to second this, bought a set of porsche wheels and winter tyres, (Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elects), collected from dealer, removed summer wheels/ tyres and fitted new wheels tyres myself, ( need to access jacking mode in chassis options

I then selected a different tyre type, ie 20 in winter, from pcm, drove for less than 5 minutes and TPMS was reconnected and has worked fine ever since
OK these were porsche wheels and tps , but no coding per wheel needed , maybe its easier with OEM wheels and TPS

Peter

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...maybe its easier with OEM wheels and TPS
Note that my "EASY" experience was with aftermarket wheels and sensors.

I wonder if the ONLY folks having challenges are with OEM packages?

We know:

- Some folks with Aftermarket wheels/sensors ARE NOT having issues (Me)

- Some folks with OEM wheels/sensors ARE NOT having issues (You)

- Some folks with OEM wheels/sensors ARE having issues (the OP)

So, has anyone with Aftermarket wheels/sensors actually had to reprogram their PCM or TPMS sensors?

Maybe Aftermarket wheels/sensors are actually a safer bet?

OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all
i have to second this, bought a set of porsche wheels and winter tyres, (Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elects), collected from dealer, removed summer wheels/ tyres and fitted new wheels tyres myself, ( need to access jacking mode in chassis options

I then selected a different tyre type, ie 20 in winter, from pcm, drove for less than 5 minutes and TPMS was reconnected and has worked fine ever since
OK these were porsche wheels and tps , but no coding per wheel needed , maybe its easier with OEM wheels and TPS

Peter
Well mine are factory delivered wheels, not only OEM ?

talked to my salesperson at the dealer today airing my opinion on the manual lacking USEFULL information in this regard -but off course this was all new to the sales team, and not entirely car related so the were not in a position to offer anything..

On the other hand I’m gratefull that the manual has other important information like the instruction not to fit childseats in the drivers seat ?

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well mine are factory delivered wheels, not only OEM ?

talked to my salesperson at the dealer today airing my opinion on the manual lacking USEFULL information in this regard -but off course this was all new to the sales team, and not entirely car related so the were not in a position to offer anything..

On the other hand I’m gratefull that the manual has other important information like the instruction not to fit childseats in the drivers seat ?
Hah! Really?

I once told a buddy riding along with me that the raised numbers on a stick shift were to accommodate blind drivers. I had him for about 5 seconds... It was GLORIOUS!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, has anyone with Aftermarket wheels/sensors actually had to reprogram their PCM or TPMS sensors?
I needed to reprogramme the sensors on third party wheels. But since the installed sensors were a brand that was not used her, I had to change them. They are a universal type that can be reprogrammed with suitable tool. But I could not find a tyre shop that used that brand. The brands website also does not list the Taycan as a vehicle that can be programmed.

If you get the correct TPMS sensors no programming is needed.

If you purchase OEM Porsche wheels for Taycan, they should fit directly and register.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I recently bought a set of nearly new 19-inch Taycan aero wheels which I want to swap out for the current 19-inch base wheels on my base Taycan. (Another Taycan owner moved up to 20-inch wheels, hence the availability of these.) I've been assured that the new wheels are balanced. The tires are exactly the same size and brand as mine and in fine conditdion. I also understand from previous comments that the TPMS will properly reset themselves after driving a few minutes/miles. So far, so good.

My only problem is getting the wheels swapped. Our local Porsche repair shop (not Porsche owned) says they won't touch a Taycan. :(

We do have a very good tire center in town. I'd be grateful for any advice about what specifically to tell the shop and what in particular to watch out for.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I had my tires changed for the first time yesterday and I did have that problem. I followed the instructions you guys gave above and it worked! Thank you guys! It would have really pissed me off to have to take it to the dealer as they are two hours away.

Chuck J
Sponsored