Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long)

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm a little confused about the steering wheel thing. Pretty sure I have the base "thin" steering wheel. It's leather, it's smooth, I grab it with one hand...or two...or sometimes just a couple fingers, and it turns the car in the direction of my choosing.
I mean it’s not bad, and it is certainly a matter of personal preference. I associate Porsche with thick, sculpted, racing steering wheels. The stock one on my old Mercedes sedan is thicker and more racey.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Is there a difference between the base steering wheel and the base steering wheel with sport chrono?

I'm asking because I test drove one with the chrono package and the wheel felt really good. Much better then my MB sedan.

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
…DC charging probably doesn't have configurable limits because nobody expects people being away from DC chargers too long and hogging up the place.
Near as I can tell, every EV in sold the USA has a user-selectable DC charge limit… except the Taycan. Even other VW group cars have that.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I understand what you mean. An example, however, is where one does not or cannot have L2 at home, or does have L2 at home, but wishes to take advantage of the free EA charging. I have an EA charger five blocks away that is next to a walking path. Me and half the people I see like to take a walk during our free half hour while our cars are feeding.
This is the first I've read of someone wishing their car charged slower. ;) I know that's not exactly what you mean, but a slower charge rate would allow you to take your walk without potential battery degradation from charging to 100%.

Perhaps a solution for your use case would be to plug into a 150 KW/h charger, rather than a 350?

Or you could just walk faster. :CWL:

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is the first I've read of someone wishing their car charged slower. ;) I know that's not exactly what you mean, but a slower charge rate would allow you to take your walk without potential battery degradation from charging to 100%.

Perhaps a solution for your use case would be to plug into a 150 KW/h charger, rather than a 350?

Or you could just walk faster. :CWL:
Yeah it's not what he meant, he just wanted it to auto stop at 85%. What I do is I keep an eye on the charge level on the Porsche app, and walk back out to unplug it when it's at the level I want. You don't want it to stop, but leave it plugged in and taking up a spot, where others could be charging.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag

- There is no way to automatically stop DC charging at a particular SOC. So you have to keep an eye on it if you don't want to go over 85%.

Porsche definitely needs to add a configurable DC fast charge limit. We have AC charge limits, battery care mode, pre-heating, pack cooling, etc. but nothing to say that we'd please like the car to stop fast charging at 80, 90, 95% etc.

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Lotta complaints. Did you check out the Taycan before you bought it? Sounds like it might not be the right car for you?
No just feedback for others who might benefit when picking options or when picking a preowned example. The Taycan was the only EV I did not and could not rent for a day on Turo because there are none where I live. I did test drive a 4S and this one, and of course there wasn’t time to check most of these things, except for the steering wheel, which wasn't a deal breaker. Preowned EQS 450+ is in the same price range (big depreciation) and really luxurious, but too big and not sporty. It was really between a Taycan or 911. The Taycan is really the only EV sports car.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I mean it’s not bad, and it is certainly a matter of personal preference. I associate Porsche with thick, sculpted, racing steering wheels.
Porsche Taycan Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long) R

This one is from a 959, the ur-supercar:
Porsche Taycan Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long) porsche-959-komfort-steering-wheel-21-1450685287

Porsche definitely needs to add a configurable DC fast charge limit.
That sounds like a statement of fact, but I suspect it's more of an opinion.

For instance, I would definitely key the cars occupying DC chargers, idling and without any owner in sight.

(No, I'm exaggerating, but hopefully the point gets across.)

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
R.jpg

This one is from a 959, the ur-supercar:
porsche-959-komfort-steering-wheel-21-1450685287.jpg

That sounds like a statement of fact, but I suspect it's more of an opinion.

For instance, I would definitely key the cars occupying DC chargers, idling and without any owner in sight.

(No, I'm exaggerating, but hopefully the point gets across.)
Ok those wheel photos make me feel better about it, vielen Dank. I guess I’m going for the retro look anyway with my 19” Aeros - the sidewalls gives the car a bit of a Dino 346 vibe. But since Porsche was designing EVs since 1898, I think we should get some respect and a few minutes of grace period at the chargers. Those Bolts and Ionic5s can wait. Not to mention every other EV sold in the US has a user-settable DC limit! We have lots of much worse charger blocking here. It’s called ICE-ing. But mostly at Tesla chargers.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Ok those wheel photos make me feel better about it, vielen Dank.
Gerne.
Thick/chunky steering wheels are a relatively new development (second half of the Naughts?) and they usually mean over-assisted steering ;-). Incidentally, I went back and forth between the GT wheel and the standard out of the same concern, but I'm very pleased with the base/standard Taycan steering wheel. I don't quite get the concerns expressed here anymore.

But since Porsche was designing EVs since 1898, I think we should get some respect and a few minutes of grace period at the chargers. Those Bolts and Ionic5s can wait. Not to mention every other EV sold in the US has a user-settable DC limit! We have lots of much worse charger blocking here. It’s called ICE-ing. But mostly at Tesla chargers.
Am familiar with ICEing, I've been lucky enough not to experience it (or at least it wasn't purposeful). Not so sure on the 'respect' thing - I get yours was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but the reason for my apparent rage is that I have been 'blocked'/left waiting by fellow EV drivers who parked their cars and went away, while their car was idling. So, if anything, the others are doing it wrong by allowing this behavior, and Porsche - as always (insert smug face here) - had made the correct choice.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Oh damn.

I just realized the stock steering wheel is different from the GT steering wheel that comes with sport chrono.

I never test drove a Taycan with the stock steering wheel. Does it really give that thinner feeling?

(kinda glad I chose the sport chrono now despite hating the clock)

Porsche Taycan Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long) 1629905538446
Porsche Taycan Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long) sw

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I never test drove a Taycan with the stock steering wheel. Does it really give that thinner feeling?
I suspect it's the same wheel as in the other models. Going back and forth between the Macan (w/ sport chrono) and the Taycan (without) is definitely noticeable, but more of a brief moment 'oh?' which fades away from conscious thought. The steering feeling of the Taycan is vastly better (to me), and that's all that matters.

Never had "that thinner feeling", noideawhatchutalkingabout. ;)

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I purchased one of the very few pre-owned Taycans out there that was not a CPO from a Porsche dealer. Indeed, the 2022 CPOs are great deals and many have warranties effectively longer than a new car. I've had zero problems with the car and it is so much fun to drive. The build quality is evident.

- I have the steel suspension. It seems I have just the right depression at my driveway entrance to cause the front to touch unless I come at it just right. I got curb ramps until I can get the asphalt added. Sleeping policemen, and all other driveways I've gone over - no problem.

- Probably upon uneducated dealer recommendation, the car has both the 19KWAC and the 400VDC charger options, which, I now understand are pretty much useless and dead weight. It also has the mobile charger connect - also not needed because I can talk directly to the car about how it should charge from my phone, even when it is connected to a dumb L2 charger.

- I was surprised at the cheapness of the base steering wheel w/o the chrono option. Its the primary car-human interface and this is a Porsche not a Subaru. They should not have offered this cheap of a wheel as the default. It is thin and unexciting. I am considering trying to have it upgraded.

- This is my first car with electric steering. I find it doesn't feel as good as hydraulic at low speeds and on the highway while making fine adjustments . But I'm getting used to it. Of course that's required on all EVs.

- The Porsche navigation, especially voice guidance, is surprisingly good. But this is a mixed blessing because I also really like waze on carplay for the social messaging (a.k.a. police reports).

- The apple and spotify "streaming over LTE" music options are a strange feature. It seems maybe an attempt to copy the full Tesla connectivity that is their replacement for carplay. But the Taycan has carplay. What adult in 2023 out there has $100K for a Taycan but doesn't have a great phone and plan to stream into carplay or over bluetooth? To top it off, the connection isn't fast enough to reliably stream anyway. Probably some promotional arrangement like the stale Sirius radio.

- Speaking of media, the car seems to forget what I was listening to and starts each time with a "loading" message, and ends up at some starting point where I have to click a few times to get back to where I was when I parked last night. Why?

- The wireless charging dock is just a laughably dumb design. It requires perfect alignment, burns up the phone, and is hidden in an un-air-conditioned cubby. I have forgotten my phone 100% of the time getting out of the car. What I want is to put my phone on a console recess where I can see it, drive, and then grab it and get out. Not fumble trying to clip it in a place I can't even see from the driver's seat and then forget it is there after I close the armrest. I did read that other cars also haven't solved the wireless charging heating problem. But why? Wireless works great at home.

- When are high-end cars going to come with factory power taps at the mirror? I always drive with a dashcam and a detector. I'm afraid of going in there with the trim tools, but I will have to.

- "Optimized charging" doesn't do anything in the US.

- The charge profile/schedule system is confusing to program, but I realize what it's for. My power is the same price 24/7 and I have amps to spare, so I don't use it.

- There is no way to automatically stop DC charging at a particular SOC. So you have to keep an eye on it if you don't want to go over 85%.

- The car sat at the dealer for a while (we got a good price), and they let some rust form on the brake disks. It has taken a long time for the "first drive of the day - no regen" function to shiny up the disks. Still not sure they will ever break in correctly.

- It had fat 21" wheels, which I now see are really a cosmetic option, at least for the RWD. They look cool, but have shorter range, the tires wear out faster, the tires are more expensive to replace, and the wheels are easier to damage. They feel weird turning at low speeds. I downgraded to the 19's and stored the 21s, although it seems I'm the only one who likes the 19" aeros.
good grief, you like to moan.
Sponsored