Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is the surround camera really worthwhile or just a gimmick? For instance, does it really help protect the rims in a car park or is it one of those novelty items that eventually you think you will stop using?
I don't think I can park any more without surround view. It makes it easy to either park in the middle of a spot, or as centered as possible between other cars. I can't see any situation where I'd take the Taycan if I was going to ever have to street park near a curb. I'd take the wife's car, because I value my bumpers.
Sponsored

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan 4S (July '20), ‘66 Porsche 912, ‘11 987 Spyder
Country flag
Anyone figured out if you can change the virtual car in Surround View to match the color of your actual car? The default is white, but it would be cool to your real color.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I have surround cameras on my BMW M5 and I find it to be very helpful (and cool) and I spec'd it on my Turbo arriving at dealer this week. Am I excited? You bet!
I had the surround view on the M5 and now have the Taycan with it. The Taycan version is different. By default when reversing you get a very distorted view. It is just a software thing and deliberate because it can be changed with a screen press easily. I would say that the two systems are roughly on a par with each other.. maybe the Taycan is slightly better. Maybe.

One big plus point is the horizontal bar which you can align with a wall or kerb at the rear. On mine this is extremely accurate indeed and lets me align the car to the back of the garage with ease. I can't quite remember how my M5 did it but I struggled to perform the same feat!

There is no remote photo mode with the Taycan that I'm aware of. A moderately useful feature on the M5.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I felt that the distortion folks are complaining about in reviews could be solved with software as it is simply image manipulation and I'm hoping not a hardware limitation.
The fisheye view is worse in person - you have the sensation that everything is inches away from you. There is already the possibility of switching to a less distorted view - much closer to other reverse cameras. Unfortunately, the guides showing trajectory are not displayed in that view....

As you said, one can only hope for a software update.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I felt that the distortion folks are complaining about in reviews could be solved with software as it is simply image manipulation and I'm hoping not a hardware limitation.
it’s a feature. Allows you to see much more but making things look odd. I like it because the point of a back up camera is avoiding obstacles, not sight seeing.

i had the surround view on a BMW and this one is comparable. It’s excellent for avoiding curbs and poles in tight spaces. My Tesla didn’t have it and I missed it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
it’s a feature. Allows you to see much more but making things look odd. I like it because the point of a back up camera is avoiding obstacles, not sight seeing.
Right. Maybe just need to get used to the difference between real space and what you see on the fish eye?

andyxxl

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 S
Country flag
Does anyone know a way to change the default from "unusuable fisheye view with helpful lines" to "usable other rearview unfortunate without lines"?

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I have done it. Not at the car now, but I believe once you're in camera mode, one of the icons on the left side is to change point of view. There is - I know because I did it. I did change it back, though.

Neoracer78

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Cool video
Great video, I ordered the surround view on mine, but it doesn’t come up with the cameras to click on the get the full 360. I just have the option to switch front, back and side camera and can view the car from the top. Any ideas?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great video, I ordered the surround view on mine, but it doesn’t come up with the cameras to click on the get the full 360. I just have the option to switch front, back and side camera and can view the car from the top. Any ideas?
Did you order park assist? I think that is the option that gets the surround features. Also not shown in the video is clicking on the bottom center camera which will then let you pan around the car looking at it from any arbitrary angle.

Neoracer78

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Did you order park assist? I think that is the option that gets the surround features. Also not shown in the video is clicking on the bottom center camera which will then let you pan around the car looking at it from any arbitrary angle.

Neoracer78

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Thank you and thought that could be the case, one of the few things I didn’t order was park assist.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
To get all the bells and whistles you will need: Comfort Access + ParkAssist including Surround View + 3D Surround View with Active Parking Support (new for MY21). In UK this equates to £2,997 - cheap at twice the price!

Entry level is the ParkAssist Including Reversing Camera - £408

Next level is Park Assist including Surround View - £1,002

I'm sure most folk assumed Park Assist including Surround View implied 360 viewing, sadly not :oops:

Neoracer78

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
To get all the bells and whistles you will need: Comfort Access + ParkAssist including Surround View + 3D Surround View with Active Parking Support (new for MY21). In UK this equates to £2,997 - cheap at twice the price!

Entry level is the ParkAssist Including Reversing Camera - £408

Next level is Park Assist including Surround View - £1,002

I'm sure most folk assumed Park Assist including Surround View implied 360 viewing, sadly not :oops:
Thank you and that makes sense now. Porsche could have definitely made these options clearer
Sponsored