MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
only three swaps?
Yeah. And the battery is at something like 96% still.

Apparently the dev team put over a million miles on these cars. It’s still early, and most people won’t put that many miles without getting new batteries, but it says a lot about the engineering ?
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Yeah. And the battery is at something like 96% still.

Apparently the dev team put over a million miles on these cars. It’s still early, and most people won’t put that many miles without getting new batteries, but it says a lot about the engineering ?
With all due respect: i can’t believe that it’s possible to use tyres 100k miles.
especially not on 2,5t car.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With all due respect: i can’t believe that it’s possible to use tyres 100k miles.
Just as interesting: 300,000 miles in time period... let's generously call it 600 days.
That is 500 miles every single day for 1 1/2 years - that's about 8+ hours of driving every single day.
:rolleyes:

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
actually 50k for 79 kWh of LiON battery storage isn’t bad if you want to build a home power storage system like Powerwalls for having a working powersystem with the grid offline

Tesla Powerwalls are like 7 k each for 14 kwh of storage - so 6 powerwalls is 42k for slightly more than 79 kWh

this is competitive for home powerstorage and probably not a bad consider for obtaining that sort of capacity of high quailty Lion cells…

hmmmmm - wonder what it would take - I’d love 79 kWh of “storage” for when California’s grid goes down.
Would you not have to think about how the battery functions and stays regulated? This battery is temperature controlled through the coolant system and I would be extremely nervous to not have this controlled by a liquid controlled temperature regulation system. After you look at retrofitting all of this and dealing with absolutely zero warranty and insurance nightmare for connecting 79kW battery to your home should anything go wrong, why would you want to risk trying to hack a car battery for home use?
Systems work in totality, using one for another function has risks. Personally, I am in the camp of purchasing products for their intended use case and not willing to risk being a MacGyver when it comes to safety of my family and home.
I love the idea of going 'off-grid' with battery sources, but will wait for the demand to get higher and costs to come down before I start messing with this type of power source to a home. What is interesting though is the new F-150 by Ford. I saw on their commercials that you can basically plug it back into your home and power your residence with the truck battery in case of a power outage. However, this remains contained in the truck and assuming that it regulates everything it needs as an entire system.
Not bashing, just hoping that you stay safe!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
13h/day 6 days a week.
Odometer reads 312,768
PCNA press car.
In that case, I stand corrected.

Do they just drive that one car back and forth repeatedly?
I thought they usually spooled ~5k-15k miles on press cars before they sold them. Did this change with the Taycan?

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
In that case, I stand corrected.

Do they just drive that one car back and forth repeatedly?
I thought they usually spooled ~5k-15k miles on press cars before they sold them. Did this change with the Taycan?
Dealer from NJ. Bought in ATL. He’s done this for decades; has several high mileage cars. Think Irving Gordon is his example. He does this to test and showcase the engineering, though personally I think it’s ludicrous. Granted, these aren’t personal cars; more like science experiments.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it may seem like a bargain until you realize you also need to spend $480 on the protection plate.

those little things add up over time.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If it was mainly highway driving, coasting in a straight line it may be possible.

He may have been on bald tyres 50% of the time.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I would guess that it costs Porsche about $35k to build that battery, which is about the same price as a GT3 engine.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
13h/day 6 days a week.
Odometer reads 312,768
PCNA press car.
@MissionE : in your first post you wrote: my friend…..
And I still can’t imagine tyres after 100k miles….even if it’s press car, but nevermind.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's 2024, and the Taycan 93kWh battery is $37K. From Audi no less. 🙂
P/N 9J1915100AM

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/Drive-Motor-Battery-Pack/103052090/9J1915100AM.html
I wonder if that price is before core charge, which would be added if you are not returning a refurbishable battery. I had my HV battery replaced in December under warranty, and the costs (covered under warranty) were $44,400 for the battery + $13,065 core charge (refundable if refurbishable), plus about $9,000 for labor.
Sponsored