Mert

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Hi Taycan owners..Waiting since May for someone at PORSCHE Connect to contact me after I opened a new case explaining problems. On the recall for my Taycan Turbo , I knew about it before my dealership! I asked the “top tech “in service at my dealership what happens if the fix for the battery power issue doesn’t work and my car loses power while I am driving in the passing lane… What do I do? Will steering and brakes work? He said he didn’t know. Park assist works sometimes and sometimes not. Same thing with the car lift feature.The car is so overly technical in terms of handling commands. Are you telling me that it is logical to have to go into the PCM to change the airflow vents? Taking your eyes off the road?Give me a break! Don’t get me wrong. The car is beautiful, handles great, and is fast. But I never signed up for being part of the beta testing that should’ve been done before this car went to market.. This is my sixth PORSCHE and probably my last. I hope you all are getting better results and satisfaction than I am.
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
How do you go from powerloss issue to climate controls? I understand you’re frustrated but it is not making much sense.

-„What if the update doesn’t work“. Well, what if your next car, let’s say a BMW, what if their steering stops working while driving. What if a meteor hits you while driving. There is no guarantee for anything. Porsche says it fixes the issue and we have to roll with it.
-„Porsche dealer knows less than you.“ That is a typical NA thing that I’m getting from this forum. Due to Covid Trainings didn’t go smoothly these days. And often the Porsche centers Lack competence.
-„Climate controls“. You have to know beforehand what you’re buying. Many car makers are doing it that way these days. Yes it’s stupid but that’s where it’s going it seems.
-„I never signed up for beta testing“. Well you kind of did when ordering the first official EV from Porsche. It is the exact same with the first model S, BMW i3 and so on. You can’t be that naive.

Don‘t take this as an insult or attack, but we gotta be reasonable with our criticism.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What if a meteor hits your while driving.
I always wear a helmet for this very reason! ☄ ?

My wife makes fun of me, but it will be me that’s laughing when a meteor hits our car and she’s the one without supplemental cranial protection.?

OP
OP

Mert

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Hi Taycan owners..Waiting since May for someone at PORSCHE Connect to contact me after I opened a new case explaining problems. On the recall for my Taycan Turbo , I knew about it before my dealership! I asked the “top tech “in service at my dealership what happens if the fix for the battery power issue doesn’t work and my car loses power while I am driving in the passing lane… What do I do? Will steering and brakes work? He said he didn’t know. Park assist works sometimes and sometimes not. Same thing with the car lift feature.The car is so overly technical in terms of handling commands. Are you telling me that it is logical to have to go into the PCM to change the airflow vents? Taking your eyes off the road?Give me a break! Don’t get me wrong. The car is beautiful, handles great, and is fast. But I never signed up for being part of the beta testing that should’ve been done before this car went to market.. This is my sixth PORSCHE and probably my last. I hope you all are getting better results and satisfaction than I am.
How do you go from powerloss issue to climate controls? I understand you’re frustrated but it is not making much sense.

-„What if the update doesn’t work“. Well, what if your next car, let’s say a BMW, what if their steering stops working while driving. What if a meteor hits you while driving. There is no guarantee for anything. Porsche says it fixes the issue and we have to roll with it.
-„Porsche dealer knows less than you.“ That is a typical NA thing that I’m getting from this forum. Due to Covid Trainings didn’t go smoothly these days. And often the Porsche centers Lack competence.
-„Climate controls“. You have to know beforehand what you’re buying. Many car makers are doing it that way these days. Yes it’s stupid but that’s where it’s going it seems.
-„I never signed up for beta testing“. Well you kind of did when ordering the first official EV from Porsche. It is the exact same with the first model S, BMW i3 and so on. You can’t be that naive.

Don‘t take this as an insult or attack, but we gotta be reasonable with our criticism.

OP
OP

Mert

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Thanks for your perspective. Not offended.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Uhh. We've got to have reasonable standards too.

"First EV from Porsche" should not equal shit show. Also, more accurately, this is VW AGs first EV with a Porsche badge. And the Audi Etron, for all its faults, had far less drama at introduction. (As did the BMW i3, by the way). And when Tesla had the early teething problems with the Model S, they generally had excellent customer service (this is before the Model 3 flood). They went above and beyond to make it right for most customers. Porsche's record here in the US is spotty at best.

Aside from this, many of the issues have nothing to do with the car being an EV. The PCM flakiness, the lack of replacement parts, the handling of dealer comms, etc. All stuff customers didn't sign up for.

Did "Covid training" make it impossible to send out an email to customers? Sorry, that's just plain bullshit. Plenty of other companies have been weathering Covid without screwing the customers. And this is not just the dealers. Even the way Porsche mgmt is spin controlling the software issues and recall, and the way Porsche NA is reacting to requests to take back cars isn't their finest hour.

Removing chips/components and shipping cars with reduced functionality is just the most recent aspect and really beyond the pale. What is most frustrating: They knew this when they made the car - at the very least they owe us proactive communication, and a choice weeks before the car finally arrives. There's 6-8 weeks between the time they made the call to make the car with missing features, and the time the customer is put on the spot and asked to accept a car that doesn't match what they have been told to expect all along. That's the kind of hacks that people always complain Tesla is doing at the end of a quarter.

Last edited:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Are you telling me that it is logical to have to go into the PCM to change the airflow vents? Taking your eyes off the road?Give me a break!
To be fair, Porsche first introduced this type of climate vent control in the Panamera. Also all Tesla's have a similar setup. I'm not saying it's better than manual vent control, but the Taycan isn't some science experiment.

I leave it set in the "diffused" setting and it seems to work extremely well. No complaints.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't get all the angst over the climate settings, for me it is a set and forget, the temps are easily adjusted via the touch screen.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be fair, Porsche first introduced this type of climate vent control in the Panamera. Also all Tesla's have a similar setup. I'm not saying it's better than manual vent control, but the Taycan isn't some science experiment.

I leave it set in the "diffused" setting and it seems to work extremely well. No complaints.
I will tell you that probably the worst thing in the Tesla Model S is ventilation. It’s abysmal! Maybe improved in the 3 or Y but the S is woeful.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Uhh. We've got to have reasonable standards too.

"First EV from Porsche" should not equal shit show. Also, more accurately, this is VW AGs first EV with a Porsche badge. And the Audi Etron, for all its faults, had far less drama at introduction. (As did the BMW i3, by the way). And when Tesla had the early teething problems with the Model S, they generally had excellent customer service (this is before the Model 3 flood). They went above and beyond to make it right for most customers. Porsche's record here in the US is spotty at best.

Aside from this, many of the issues have nothing to do with the car being an EV. The PCM flakiness, the lack of replacement parts, the handling of dealer comms, etc. All stuff customers didn't sign up for.

Did "Covid training" make it impossible to send out an email to customers? Sorry, that's just plain bullshit. Plenty of other companies have been weathering Covid without screwing the customers. And this is not just the dealers. Even the way Porsche mgmt is spin controlling the software issues and recall, and the way Porsche NA is reacting to requests to take back cars isn't their finest hour.

Removing chips/components and shipping cars with reduced functionality is just the most recent aspect and really beyond the pale. What is most frustrating: They knew this when they made the car - at the very least they owe us proactive communication, and a choice weeks before the car finally arrives. There's 6-8 weeks between the time they made the call to make the car with missing features, and the time the customer is put on the spot and asked to accept a car that doesn't match what they have been told to expect all along. That's the kind of hacks that people always complain Tesla is doing at the end of a quarter.
Usually I go into your points but if you think the Taycan has been a shit show, then I won’t bother with more than this short reply:

Shortages have screwed over everyone and came rapidly, follow the news.

You talk like you have been screwed. Personal grudges don’t count.

New car with new PCM, simple as that.

The vast majority are enjoying their „shit show“ cars. Things have gone wrong and have been handled wrong, especially with NA dealers, absolutely. But the way you describe it we all are suffering under Porsche with the Taycan and should return it ASAP.

You seem very unhappy with your purchase. I hope you can figure things out.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Usually I go into your points but if you think the Taycan has been a shit show, then I won’t bother with more than this short reply:

Shortages have screwed over everyone and came rapidly, follow the news.

You talk like you have been screwed. Personal grudges don’t count.

New car with new PCM, simple as that.

The vast majority are enjoying their „shit show“ cars. Things have gone wrong and have been handled wrong, especially with NA dealers, absolutely. But the way you describe it we all are suffering under Porsche with the Taycan and should return it ASAP.

You seem very unhappy with your purchase. I hope you can figure things out.
My grudge is with the car dealer situation in the US, apologies if that post got out of hand. Car dealers in the US are generally speaking a scourge. Unless you have a personal relationship you are on average going to get screwed. If you move around a lot, it's hard to build those relationships even if you are a car enthusiast that frequently buys nice cars. AutoNation and others make it worse (they are looking out for Autonation, not Porsche, and could care less if you remain loyal to the brand. and their people rotate from dealership to dealership too). And they know it too: witness how they are lobbying like crazy to stop direct sales a la Tesla, Rivian and Lucid. They are also adding friction to the transition to EVs. Anyway, I'll leave it at that: if you live in the US, you likely know exactly what I'm talking about - if you don't, you're lucky and likely bored by this right now.

With respect to the Taycan situation: they went from promising OTA (I still have it black on white on the material they sent me when I signed up on the waiting list), to saying "OTA happens at the dealers because network bandwidth" (huh?), to having to replace hardware and/or having a process that frequently fries hardware. You have multiple owners openly discussing either having returned the car or being in the process of doing so, and how best to apply lemon law. You have a number of recalls, the latest of which addresses an issue where the car can just leave you stranded. You have 3 apps for charging and lengthy guides online as to how to charge with the minimum number of issues. You have people buying adapters so they can use a competitors destination charger network (built/started when they were a plucky start up - meanwhile all I've seen of Porsche's Destination Charger initiative is fancy posters). The list goes on. Whether you call that a shit show or not depends on your expectations I guess. But this is not normal for Porsche and also worse than other new EV introductions.

You might reasonably ask why I'm still hoping to take delivery (no unhappy purchase here yet, I'm not stuck with anything right now - and I'm counting days til August 6th). While not quite at the level of a 911 (IMHO, and also: not surprising, it's a sedan!), it's still a real joy to drive and certainly a true Porsche (again IMHO). I'm willing to deal with a LOT of shit to get a car I enjoy driving. Maybe too much (both the enjoyment and the shit I'm willing to deal with). Won't stop me from getting information (and sharing it) to see whether I've crossed the line from "willing to deal with hassles to get a car I enjoy driving" to "just being plain stupid". It also doesn't hurt that Taycans are amongst the best looking sedans out there :)

Separate from whether I end up accepting delivery or end up keeping the 911 and getting a Model S daily driver - I also just want Porsche to do better. They are one of the few car manufacturers that make cars that car people enjoy driving. BMW already lost their way, I need Porsche to stay on the ball.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there are plenty of reports and descriptions of what people experienced when their cars failed for the recall issue. The steering and brakes continue to work.

OP
OP

Mert

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
there are plenty of reports and descriptions of what people experienced when their cars failed for the recall issue. The steering and brakes continue to work.
Thanks for that. I asked my service rep, supposedly “gold star certified”, he was not able to answer the question as you just did.I would think that he would have said “let me check with others and get back to you”? my issue is with PORSCHE management, not with the fact that there can be bugs with the vehicle. It is new technology in many ways. I am disappointed in the way PORSCHE rolled this out with very little training to service reps and very little information easily available to the customers.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Ditto. Diffused setting works fine even now in HOT south Florida summer.
Sponsored