thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I decided to take thanksgiving week off, so I wanted to adventure in the Taycan. My kids are older, and have other plans, so I figured I would take the mountain bike to Vegas to ride around on the west side of town since it will be in the low 70's. I had 20' Pirelli Scorpion Winter's put on my 4s this week, so I feel more comfortable driving through the Colorado and Utah mountains in those instead of the Conti all seasons that came stock on the vehicle.

I installed the roof rack this morning - it has been gathering dust on the garage for a couple months. And, I installed the Thule ThruRide carrier to hold my electric mountain bike. I did a shake drive drive around town and hit a few more bumps in the road than I usually would to make sure the system was securely holding the bike. Tomorrow will the interesting day since I will be driving almost 800 miles through high mountains with a big mountain bike on the roof - I will keep an eye on how range is affected in the very cold higher mountain temps, and by carrying a big bike on the roof. The good thing there are plenty of Electrify America locations between Denver and Las Vegas.

Just in case no one has seen what a mountain bike looks like on top of a Taycan, because until today, I had not, I took a couple of pictures to share.

Porsche Taycan Installed roof rack and bike carrier to carry mountain bike - the big experiement IMG_0226

Porsche Taycan Installed roof rack and bike carrier to carry mountain bike - the big experiement IMG_0225

If anyone sees a big, weird guy driving a Frozen Blue 4s with a big electric mountain bike across Colorado, Utah, Arizona, or Nevada over the next week, please don't hesitate to say Howdy.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Am new to bikes on the roof rack - I used to put on back of previous car - but I did also buy the roof rack. But, why is it that you take the front wheel off? Is it aerodynamics or that it is safer or some other reason? Thanks.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Am new to bikes on the roof rack - I used to put on back of previous car - but I did also buy the roof rack. But, why is it that you take the front wheel off? Is it aerodynamics or that it is safer or some other reason? Thanks.
Good question. I like having the bike secured by the front fork into the bike mount - it just feels more solid. And, it is easier to mount, in my opinion.

Not sure on aerodynamics, but once you mess with air flow by putting a bike on the roof of an electric car, there is going to be a hit.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Suncoast had a sale on the Taycan roof carrier and bike rack so I decided to go for it as well, but with the wheel mount vs. the fork mount in the front. Hopefully the weather holds here in Ohio and I can post comparison shots.

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Very cool to see. Thanks for sharing. I just got myself a Carbon E-Fully and noticed that the Porsche manual states that Carbon bikes should not be mounted. Any idea why?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very cool to see. Thanks for sharing. I just got myself a Carbon E-Fully and noticed that the Porsche manual states that Carbon bikes should not be mounted. Any idea why?
I read that warning as well on the rack that holds the front wheel, but I did not see the warning on the rack that holds the front forks.
The rack that holds the front wheel requires an extra bar that mounts to the frame to keep the bike from tipping. I think that may be an issue that they would not want to damage a carbon like.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Specifically, bikes with carbon frames. Bikes with carbon forks are not mentioned as excluded.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Specifically, bikes with carbon frames. Bikes with carbon forks are not mentioned as excluded.
Just as an update, I am not using the Porsche bike carrier/rack - I am using the Thule 535, so has a different mechanism to secure the front fork to the rack. I secures by using the thru bolt, so uses the same process as if you were attaching the front wheel.

And, I had decided to take my Cayenne on this trip, since they are expecting over a foot of snow in the Colorado mountains today, and again on Thursday. Little too much snow for the Taycan, but not the Cayenne!

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I decided to take thanksgiving week off, so I wanted to adventure in the Taycan. My kids are older, and have other plans, so I figured I would take the mountain bike to Vegas to ride around on the west side of town since it will be in the low 70's. I had 20' Pirelli Scorpion Winter's put on my 4s this week, so I feel more comfortable driving through the Colorado and Utah mountains in those instead of the Conti all seasons that came stock on the vehicle.

I installed the roof rack this morning - it has been gathering dust on the garage for a couple months. And, I installed the Thule ThruRide carrier to hold my electric mountain bike. I did a shake drive drive around town and hit a few more bumps in the road than I usually would to make sure the system was securely holding the bike. Tomorrow will the interesting day since I will be driving almost 800 miles through high mountains with a big mountain bike on the roof - I will keep an eye on how range is affected in the very cold higher mountain temps, and by carrying a big bike on the roof. The good thing there are plenty of Electrify America locations between Denver and Las Vegas.

Just in case no one has seen what a mountain bike looks like on top of a Taycan, because until today, I had not, I took a couple of pictures to share.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

If anyone sees a big, weird guy driving a Frozen Blue 4s with a big electric mountain bike across Colorado, Utah, Arizona, or Nevada over the next week, please don't hesitate to say Howdy.
This is the setup that I also have, Porsche crossbars just with a different Thule bike rack. Works perfect. Also works to give Santa some delivery help!

Porsche Taycan Installed roof rack and bike carrier to carry mountain bike - the big experiement IMG-1379

Porsche Taycan Installed roof rack and bike carrier to carry mountain bike - the big experiement IMG-1382.PNG

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've had big problems getting my rack to actually work. While the bars go onto the mounting brackets, the bolt won't actually engage the threads in the bracket. Any tips?

(I've verified I'm using the right bars in the right location, oriented the right way; I can usually get one side or the other to screw down, but not both.)

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've had big problems getting my rack to actually work. While the bars go onto the mounting brackets, the bolt won't actually engage the threads in the bracket. Any tips?

(I've verified I'm using the right bars in the right location, oriented the right way; I can usually get one side or the other to screw down, but not both.)

Look at the directions in the owners manual, it will show you how to loosen the bolts where the bars connect to the mounts. this will allow you to move the mounts to fit the part where it bolts to the roof.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Look at the directions in the owners manual, it will show you how to loosen the bolts where the bars connect to the mounts. this will allow you to move the mounts to fit the part where it bolts to the roof.
Oh, geez, is that where the instructions are? The rack itself came with nothing, and I was going by the sticker on the bars. (Don't even ask how long it took me to find the little key pouch....)

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Oh, geez, is that where the instructions are? The rack itself came with nothing, and I was going by the sticker on the bars. (Don't even ask how long it took me to find the little key pouch....)
Best not to tighten up one side first, go back and forth to get them set. Once set, second install is easy.
Porsche Taycan Installed roof rack and bike carrier to carry mountain bike - the big experiement 58D9FFD3-35B4-4985-8632-03E6591D655F