Instavolt Charging Hub - Banbury

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just wanted to share my experience at this new charging venue that opened only 12 days ago.

I always find the Ecotricity motorway chargers either out of order, charging at something like 3kW, or already in use. I now never plan a route that relies on using them, they are a colossal waste of time.

The Ionity chargers coverage is still incredibly thin, for example none on my drive London - Birmingham - Manchester, you'd have thought they would have some on the connections of three of our largest cities?

I am however finding the Instavolt network much more reliable, if sometimes a little off the beaten track. The new Banbury hub is at J11 of the M40 and has 8 (yes 8!) shiny new 150kW chargers, one of which just gave me a mega fast charge on the way back to London tonight.

We need more of these please!!

Porsche Taycan Instavolt Charging Hub - Banbury IMG_5568
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Perfect. Good shout as I will be heading down the m40 soon. How long did it take you to charge?

OP
OP
SteveMc

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Perfect. Good shout as I will be heading down the m40 soon. How long did it take you to charge?
I was on about 28% when I arrived, plugged in and walked to the Costa next to the chargers. Spent around 30 minutes having a coffee and leg stretch and returned to about 90% battery, which by my maths equates to about a 114kW charge.

I didn't really log it in the car or Connect app, but the charger screen said it was charging at 125kW when I plugged it in, which seems about right given the above.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Yes Instavolt are on a roll and their chargers are being rolled out way faster than IONITY! Very easy to use too. Many more coming within the next 6 months. They have had a massive equity injection by their funders.
35p per kw not bad too!

https://instavolt.co.uk/for-drivers/

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Good to know. What I am a bit unclear on is how do you find these places. Is the Porsche inbuilt GPS picking up all these potential charge locations, or do you have to use Apple Carplay and a different GPS/navigation app? Just trying to figure out how many steps/complex it is to find when you are out on the road and need a charge.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Good to know. What I am a bit unclear on is how do you find these places. Is the Porsche inbuilt GPS picking up all these potential charge locations, or do you have to use Apple Carplay and a different GPS/navigation app? Just trying to figure out how many steps/complex it is to find when you are out on the road and need a charge.
https://www.zap-map.com - and the app on your phone.

Edit: Ironically the Banbury ones are not yet on there :facepalm:

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
https://www.zap-map.com - and the app on your phone.

Edit: Ironically the Banbury ones are not yet on there :facepalm:
yes - more apps to manage :-( I think I might use the app "A Better Routeplanner" and connect it via Apple Carplay if that works...

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Yes I totally recommend Zap Map as well

The Banbury hub is on there (it's how I found them :like: )
You're absolutely right - i was filtering by Ionity, but they're also listed at only 100kW.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’ll be swinging in past these next week for a charge. Heading to southampton for the boat show! I’ll be leaving my cheque book at home!!

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
I used my first instavolt charger yesterday, a 125kw one and it worked flawlessly. Very easy to use, just tap and charge.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Used it a few times, good, especially when costa is open. Similar one, ionity at Milton Keynes coachway.

Just wanted to share my experience at this new charging venue that opened only 12 days ago.

I always find the Ecotricity motorway chargers either out of order, charging at something like 3kW, or already in use. I now never plan a route that relies on using them, they are a colossal waste of time.

The Ionity chargers coverage is still incredibly thin, for example none on my drive London - Birmingham - Manchester, you'd have thought they would have some on the connections of three of our largest cities?

I am however finding the Instavolt network much more reliable, if sometimes a little off the beaten track. The new Banbury hub is at J11 of the M40 and has 8 (yes 8!) shiny new 150kW chargers, one of which just gave me a mega fast charge on the way back to London tonight.

IMG_5568.jpg

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
These chargers are great. Used them 4 times now. Perfect speed for charging.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I used this twice yesterday !
It was raining. Hopefully they'll start putting canopies over them soon. Always seems to rain when I charge these days :D.

I drive into Beaconsfield services on way to see how the ionity units were coming along. They don't look far off but still no covers.

I've emailed Instavolt in the vain hope they might listen!

Device 2 - the card reader wouldn't work yesterday. Someone else tried too.

Did you find it strange that you had to use your card to end the charge though before you could remove the plug ?

IMG_5568.jpg