JamesP

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Just got the nod to start my order on a ST and got me thinking what insurance companies need to know in terms of options - especially as they are not cheap! Do things like RWD need to be mentioned or is it all considered as factory as opposed to modifications. And then there is the Pano roof!!
Sponsored

DJBlack

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe, Taycan GTS on order
Country flag
You don’t list optional extras IMO, only modifications.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I don't think you need to declare any options only modifications. The premium will be impacted by the value you declare. I was pleasantly surprised at price for a CT4S. My best quote for my wife and I using the usual comparison websites was £535 incl. protected ncd from Aviva which is about what I pay on my X5.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just got the nod to start my order on a ST and got me thinking what insurance companies need to know in terms of options - especially as they are not cheap! Do things like RWD need to be mentioned or is it all considered as factory as opposed to modifications. And then there is the Pano roof!!
The model variant you must specify but as per any other car the insurers will have the list of variants / models to choose from. Battery size if optional will be needed too.

Value they will ask.

Listing factory options is a grey area and depending on insurer and the rep you get will either insist on listing all options or not. Make it clear that the options are factory fit rather than post purchase modifications.

I've had the experience either way with the same insurer which can be frustrating.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Different insurance companies will have a different approach. Many do ask for optional extras fitted to the vehicle, even if they are factory fitted.
To avoid any issues, it is always best to provide full information - I’ve always sent a copy of the full vehicle specification.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think you need to declare any options only modifications. The premium will be impacted by the value you declare. I was pleasantly surprised at price for a CT4S. My best quote for my wife and I using the usual comparison websites was £535 incl. protected ncd from Aviva which is about what I pay on my X5.
This is not true. You do need to declare everything - some options will affect the premium charged while others will not, it depends on the insurer‘s approach. The value of the car is only one factor taken into account.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
This is not true. You do need to declare everything - some options will affect the premium charged while others will not, it depends on the insurer‘s approach. The value of the car is only one factor taken into account.
When I completed information requested various insurers they wanted to know exact model including battery size nr of seats plus any modifications, didn't have an option to enter options?

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I completed information requested various insurers they wanted to know exact model including battery size nr of seats plus any modifications, didn't have an option to enter options?
I did say it depends on the Insurer. However, the key test will be if you have to claim and they value the car based on a standard model with no extras…

Did you read all of the policy documentation that you were sent?

Admiral do normally ask about ’modifications to the standard specification’, which includes factory fitted options.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I did say it depends on the Insurer. However, the key test will be if you have to claim and they value the car based on a standard model with no extras…

Did you read all of the policy documentation that you were sent?

Admiral do normally ask about ’modifications to the standard specification’, which includes factory fitted options.
Yes, can't speak for others insurers as I'm sure each will be different but my Aviva policy says optional extras including alloy wheels fitted by the manufacturer are automatically covered. But I always speak to the insurers before finalising my policies as I often find something is not correct.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SST, 718 Boxster S, Nissan Juke
Country flag
My T4SST is due soon and, as a starter for ten, I obtained quotes this morning from the meerkats.

Cheapest annual quote (compulsory excess £1,350 plus additional voluntary excess £500) with 5,000 annual mileage, was £253 with a major insurer (NCB not protected but extras included).

Took me by surprise, pleasantly! :like:

David

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
My T4SST is due soon and, as a starter for ten, I obtained quotes this morning from the meerkats.

Cheapest annual quote (compulsory excess £1,350 plus additional voluntary excess £500) with 5,000 annual mileage, was £253 with a major insurer (NCB not protected but extras included).

David
Could be worth checking policies as quite a few insurance companies will not use Porsche garages for repairs as they insist that you use their approved garages which for obvious reasons will be cheaper therefore not sure if that then affects Porsche warranty and as the saying goes you pay for what you get

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SST, 718 Boxster S, Nissan Juke
Country flag
Gary

Appreciate your comments. The insurer's policy means I need to check if my preferred repairer (Chartwell of Derby) can be agreed in advance of policy inception.

Anyone suggest competitive insurers where this is not an issue?

Thanks
David

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

David
Likewise was pleased with the insurance costs. For my wife and I it was £535 with £550 excess from memory.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Having had previous insurers not bothered about factory fitted options I was surprised that Admiral wanted them listed. So, amongst other things, my car is listed as having rally lights (this was the closest they could get to the matrix headlights). So it varies from insurer to insurer.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
My car is still many months away, but for giggles I plunked the deets into moneysupermarket comparison site. The lower end of the premium range wasn’t too horrific for central London, driveway parking and not too far off why I’ve paid for new cars on the right side of £100K. Mind you there’s always the second and third year surprise bounce.

Admiral cheapest, but not going near their telematics alternative offer with a large barge pole.
Sponsored