stonypoint

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan GTS
Country flag
What is your experience with the integrated Apple Music service vs regular CarPlay (for those who use it)? Biggest useful difference for me is being able to manage the active playlist via the steering wheel controls, this is neat and doesn’t seem possible over CarPlay. Any other things you’ve noticed?
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’ve never tried to manage playlist with steering wheel, but i set “next song” on a diamond button.
I’m mostly using Carplay, since it;s easier to search… and I prefer Siri over Porsche voice…

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Integrated Apple Music can also drive the dynamic ambient interior lighting. CarPlay cannot. Otherwise, the systems feel identical to me.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Integrated Apple Music can also drive the dynamic ambient interior lighting. CarPlay cannot. Otherwise, the systems feel identical to me.
I’m not sure if the built in Apple Music player does anything different, but I’m very sure the lighting does indeed change depending on the album art of what is playing through CarPlay.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I’m not sure if the built in Apple Music player does anything different, but I’m very sure the lighting does indeed change depending on the album art of what is playing through CarPlay.
Well, then I suppose that is the defective component on my car. "Dynamic" ambient lighting on my car does not change based on album cover with CarPlay or SiriusXM.

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use both. I’d say I use more CarPlay, but use integrated AM when i forget my phone, and also for the “add to Porsche playlist” feature. When using CarPlay I can only add song to a library.

how do you manage playlists from the steering wheel?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone noticed that when in Apple Music the shuffle mode does not work when you choose library/songs and the shuffle button? When I try that, it simply plays the next tune alphabetically.

CarPlay on the other hand does shuffle when you choose library/song and hit the shuffle button. Go figure...

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, then I suppose that is the defective component on my car. "Dynamic" ambient lighting on my car does not change based on album cover with CarPlay or SiriusXM.
Must be. I use CarPlay exclusively and the ambient lighting changes to match the color of the cover art of the album being played.

OP
OP

stonypoint

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan GTS
Country flag
I use both. I’d say I use more CarPlay, but use integrated AM when i forget my phone, and also for the “add to Porsche playlist” feature. When using CarPlay I can only add song to a library.

how do you manage playlists from the steering wheel?
You can get the active playlist to pop up in the rightmost "tube" display in the center screen. Pop it up by clicking the right scroller on the steering wheel, but you have to be in the "media" tab for it to show, but once you do it you can scroll through all songs on the playlist and select which to play. This is my most used feature of Int. Apple Music as I always fiddle too much with my music. :) Nothing pops up if I'm using CarPlay but with Apple Music it works great. See picture for example.

Porsche Taycan Integrated Apple Music vs CarPlay IMG_7287

OP
OP

stonypoint

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan GTS
Country flag
Yes, thats strange... I've tested "dynamic" on both Apple Music and CarPlay in my car and they work identically for me, color changes in the same way. But we dont get satellite/digital radio in SE so wouldnt know about SiriusXM. Another puzzle...

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, thats strange... I've tested "dynamic" on both Apple Music and CarPlay in my car and they work identically for me, color changes in the same way. But we dont get satellite/digital radio in SE so wouldnt know about SiriusXM. Another puzzle...
On a side note....is DAB/DAB+ standard on Swedish Taycans?

OP
OP

stonypoint

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan GTS
Country flag
On a side note....is DAB/DAB+ standard on Swedish Taycans?
Yes, I "digital radio" which I think refers to DAB seems to be standard equipment (on a 4S at least). But we have very few radio stations that actually transmit, DAB has a long and crooked history in Sweden, most of the Nordic countries have been really slow on the uptake compared to rest of Europe. (mainly frequency/regulatory reasons). But it does come standard but I've never tried it myself.

OP
OP

stonypoint

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan GTS
Country flag
I'm 2nd this question...
Make sure you are in the "Media" tab on the rightmost tube display, see picture earlier in the thread. It should be the one where you see the album cover in the rightmost tube of the main display. Then just press the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and you should be able to scroll up/down your active playlist. Select song by clicking the scroll wheel. At least thats how it works for me. Doing this when using CarPlay does nothing, it only works on integrated Apple Music (and perhaps Bluetooth audio pairings as well). Hope you get it to work!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@stonypoint : Thx…I haven’t noticed that. I was asking myself, where are playlists, but ”play next” is actually enough…
Sponsored