Integrated Apple Music vs CarPlay

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, I "digital radio" which I think refers to DAB seems to be standard equipment (on a 4S at least). But we have very few radio stations that actually transmit, DAB has a long and crooked history in Sweden, most of the Nordic countries have been really slow on the uptake compared to rest of Europe. (mainly frequency/regulatory reasons). But it does come standard but I've never tried it myself.
Ahh...thanks. Although...DAB is the default in most of Europe now, and in Scandianvia its Sweden and Finland that are lagging behind. As i understand it in Sweden its mainly for political reasons and the in Finland it was mainly because they did not want to upset the Russians...as they use adjacent spectrum for "military purposes" if i recall correctly.

Thats why i thought it strange if Porsche Sweden was selling their cars without digial radio, as it in that case would have been...to my knowledge...the only market to do this :)
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Bizarrely – Ireland had full coverage of the country with digital radio – with dozens of stations – some exclusive to DAB – since 2006 – shut it all down last year!

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/03/dab-digital-radio-broadcasting-ends-in-ireland/

They said the combination of FM remaining too popular to turn off and internet radio streaming – meant too few used DAB.

All Porsche's sold in this market continue to have DAB radio units as standard configuration.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Bizarrely – Ireland had full coverage of the country with digital radio – with dozens of stations – some exclusive to DAB – since 2006 – shut it all down last year!

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/03/dab-digital-radio-broadcasting-ends-in-ireland/

They said the combination of FM remaining too popular to turn off and internet radio streaming – meant too few used DAB.

All Porsche's sold in this market continue to have DAB radio units as standard configuration.
Yeah, I remember that happening in your country too.... Really strange. In Norway we've had full (read: usefull) DAB-coverage since 2016'ish (ok'ish coverage since the mid 2000's.), and to be honest...in a car...listening to FM honestly feels like a throwback to the 60's or 70's! ...and not in a positive sense! :D

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
One other difference is that with integrated AM you can have the PCM display song lyrics on the main or (if equipped) passenger screen (but in either case only when the vehicle is stationary). AFAIK, CarPlay does not show lyrics on the vehicle screen; only on the phone itself (likely Apple wanting to stay clear of anything that pulls the driver’s eyes off the road). Displaying lyrics on the PCM is pretty cool at stoplights or charging stations for some Careoke fun. My kids love it. You can even scroll the lyrics to seek within the songs.
Sponsored