Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is quite a good and fun video to watch about an EV only track day. Would like to do it in the Twizzy though.

Surprised at the Taycan comments about understeer. And horrible Tyre wear!

Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes.

Combined with other videos and comments, it pretty well lays out where the Taycan stands at this time.

The Taycan was competitive with most cars by compensating for its reduced battery efficiency by using a bigger battery. But this is a bit of a one trick pony, because bigger means heavier which reduces range.

The small increase in range for the MY2022 and little performance increase is disappointing and is due to what looks like some software tweaks, and not due to increased access to battery capacity or improved battery chemistry. It's not competitive with the Plaid. And given the cost differentials the Turbo and Turbo S look like they make less and less sense.

I just don't see how Porsche can play the same hand for MY2023.

If you are buying a Taycan, its for the styling, fit and finish and joy of driving. Not for maximum performance.

The guys who leased their Taycans got it dead right. Those who bought not so much.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Why would you say the understeer comment is surprising? It's not going to oversteer with four wheel drive, and it's got a fairly even weight distribution. The understeer coming out of a turn is completely predictable.

As for the tire wear, yup. It's a heavy car.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Yes.

Combined with other videos and comments, it pretty well lays out where the Taycan stands at this time.

The Taycan was competitive with most cars by compensating for its reduced battery efficiency by using a bigger battery. But this is a bit of a one trick pony, because bigger means heavier which reduces range.

The small increase in range for the MY2022 and little performance increase is disappointing and is due to what looks like some software tweaks, and not due to increased access to battery capacity or improved battery chemistry. It's not competitive with the Plaid. And given the cost differentials the Turbo and Turbo S look like they make less and less sense.

I just don't see how Porsche can play the same hand for MY2023.

If you are buying a Taycan, its for the styling, fit and finish and joy of driving. Not for maximum performance.

The guys who leased their Taycans got it dead right. Those who bought not so much.
Do you think Taycan owners should have buyers remorse?

I think bang for the buck, Model 3 Performance wins.

Tayan is definitely not a value when comparing it to many EVs. You get the Taycan for the range of benefits you point out and other elements that can only be described as the driving emotion.

The HP wars, 1/4mile wars have become draining, it's whack a mole.
I think the solution is to get an EV that's fast enough and gives you the entire driving experience.

That modded M3P is beast, but I can't imagine how it feels driving on public roads.

Last edited: