Interior leather vs race-tex

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
Hello all!

Currently in the process of specifying my Taycan 4S CT, but I’m lost regarding interior.

As a person who avoid meat as much as possible covering the interior does feel a bit awkward. On the other hand race-Tex is a fairly cheap and common fabric found in cheap cars and apparently Porsche is not about to pass any savings along to the customer.

Now, having been told that race-Tex wears horribly and is extremely over priced I am looking for some input and experience with the fabric.

This is my first Porsche so any feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey there! I'm also vegan for several years and ordered the Race-Tex (black) w/o seeing it in person first. I'll admit that I was a little concerned at first, but it's fantastic. It does not feel or look cheap at all; it's hard to describe, but it looks sporty and elegant, without being too much of either. The suede-like material part of it (much like Alcantara) is very nice-- I don't think I will ever have a leather/faux-leather steering wheel again. I've only had my car for about 3 months now, but no wear as far as I can tell. It seems to clean up easily, too. I'm 100% satisfied with my choice and can recommend Race-Tex. As to if it's "worth" it, I don't know-- it's Porsche and there's a price for everything, but I didn't want leather.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello all!

Currently in the process of specifying my Taycan 4S CT, but I’m lost regarding interior.

As a person who avoid meat as much as possible covering the interior does feel a bit awkward. On the other hand race-Tex is a fairly cheap and common fabric found in cheap cars and apparently Porsche is not about to pass any savings along to the customer.

Now, having been told that race-Tex wears horribly and is extremely over priced I am looking for some input and experience with the fabric.

Race-tex is not cheap - it is Alcantara by any other name and fabric on the seat squabs. That's why there is no price reduction.

Suggest visiting your dealer to see sample swatches before deciding.

Alcantara is the brand name of a common synthetic textile material. It has a soft, suede-like microfibre pile and is noted for its durability. Alcantara is commonly seen in automotive applications, as a substitute for leather and vinyl in vehicle interior trim.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I've decided on the standard interior as a compromise. AFAIK, the standard interior has only leather seating surfaces and is mostly synthetic. I had that interior in my Cayenne S e-hybrid and was perfectly happy with the look, feel, and durability. Not a fan of alcantara. Here's a picture of the standard e-tron GT vegan interior for the US market. No extra charge, but not at all premium looking and no ventilation. Part of the reason I gave up my GT build date and I'm back to the Taycan CT.

Porsche Taycan Interior leather vs race-tex image

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Racetex is the best. For the vegan, it's the only way to go. But, I think even some of our carnivorous friends would also prefer Racetex over leather.

After my first Taycan test drive, the only reason I didn't buy that Turbo S on the spot was that it had leather in it. My dealership never has ordered a showroom car with Racetex, and didn't have much in the way of definitive samples, so I had to gamble that I would like the Taycan's version of leather-free interior after taking delivery of my Turbo. I am so glad I spent the extra time and effort to order and wait for this car, with its Slate/Black Racetex interior!

Yes, this is my dream car for sure, and I care for it tenderly. I gently hand-wash the full exterior PPF/ceramic surface using the rinseless method. The only maintenance the interior has required is brushing off dust, wiping the smudges from the touchscreens, a rare dab with a damp microfiber cloth to remove a contaminant, and rinsing off the weatherproof mats.

The interior has worn well, unexpectedly rugged despite the elegant look. As in, looks brand-new even after 4 months, 3000 miles, a road trip, hauling a dog and a two-year-old boy, sometimes with adult passengers, too. Yet the car looks like a garage queen.

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I wish the Race Tex was the micro suede on the center of the seats too. The mesh materials used doesn't feel premium IMO

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Hello all!

I ordered my 4S with race-tex and the 18 way seats and would do the same all over again. I do not like the look of full leather as it is just to monotone for me - but that is just me. My seats are also vented so the seat and back inserts are not race-tex which again breaks up the interior. My car only has 2500 miles so it is way to early to tell how the race-Tex will hold up but I am really not concerned about it. If it holds up great! If it starts to look shady I can always get them repaired/replaced...................or better still, trade the car in for a newer model. ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Race-tex will be durable. Porsche have used this material for many years - standard on any GTS model and is generally favoured by petrol heads.

Cloth inserts are an old Porsche tradition also.

Av0789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
I have black race-tex in my 4s and it’s incredible, so far it’s very durable and gives it a sporty look. Also love the steering wheel!

OP
OP

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
Thank you all for the incredible feedback! I will keep the race-tex, as I believe leather is going to be less popular in the future (perhaps already at the time I will be seeing the car in 2-4 years time).

Quick question to those of you with race-tex; did you add more than just the standard options, and did you pick a single or dual colour scheme? I am currently torn between grey or black/grey.

thewral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't mind leather (our other cars are leather) but purchased a car with Race-Tex off the rack. We were a bit apprehensive before we saw the car but was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the alcantara and the fabric.

Question for those w/ Race-Tex: how do you keep the fabric clean? I frequently apply sunscreen (golf) and then have to drive before I have a chance to rinse off. Usually use clear spray but sometimes use white suncreen; anyone have experience with cleaning the fabric (e.g., spills, smears, etc)?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I don't mind leather (our other cars are leather) but purchased a car with Race-Tex off the rack. We were a bit apprehensive before we saw the car but was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the alcantara and the fabric.

Question for those w/ Race-Tex: how do you keep the fabric clean? I frequently apply sunscreen (golf) and then have to drive before I have a chance to rinse off. Usually use clear spray but sometimes use white suncreen; anyone have experience with cleaning the fabric (e.g., spills, smears, etc)?
Use a fabric/carpet cleaner

This is a lengthy video but gives you an idea how to clean it. The Race-Tex isnt as thick/shag as Alcantara, but same concept

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think you absolutely want to see the entire interior before making the decision. This is an ask-your-salesperson situation to actually sit in one.

I think the alcantara seating surfaces can be nice (I had a beautiful S4 Avant with alcantara interior), but you really want to see all the non-seating surfaces before making the decision, unless you care more about what stuff is made of over what it looks like.
Sponsored