Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have followed the experience of the Taycan owners in the US, charging at EA stations, and been horrified to say the least. So I decided today to test out a known Ionity charging station that is about 120 km from my home. Since I had charged my car to 85% I would make it there and back safely if things would go belly up and the station being off line?

I have followed the build out of Ionity stations since the beginning of the year and especially on routes that I am likely to drive, once we can do so freely after Covid 19. I would normally travel from the French Italian border to the UK and Sweden and Norway, several times per year.

There are now more than 325 Ionity stations built or under construction here in Europe. And the target seems to be 400 by end of 2020. Then we also have other Rapid Chargers like the FastNed and EON chargers so things are looking up. And there are also quite a few 170 kW stations coming on line, where the overall charge time is quite acceptable and not reducing so much over time. So with careful planning and functioning chargers it looks promising.

I planned the route both in the car and also with ABetterRoutePlanner. The car indicated a charge level at destination of 53% while ABRP showed 48%. I did manage to send the destination to the car through the Connect app and that worked just fine, no delays or so. The Connect app showed that there would be 7 Chargers available with the Porsche Charging! One of them is shown as 350kW Type 2! That did not inspire a lot of confidence, see picture.

Porsche Taycan Ionity charging experience in South of France 2A1F41BF-AD04-4ED5-92FC-220A643C6056
Porsche Taycan Ionity charging experience in South of France 733F8E38-9CB5-4452-9C3D-6BCEB58A8ED0

The route was in nice sunshine and with temperatures between 32 and 35 Celsius, and at Official Speed limits. Aircon in normal mode not any Eco settings since it was quite warm. Only drove in normal and Sport Mode. Arriving at the stations the battery still had 58% so both the car and ABRP were surprisingly out of prediction. The overall distance was 110 km, average speed 71 km/h and E-consumption 199 Wh per km!

Arriving at the service station with all the chargers, there was also 10 Tesla Superchargers and a few Teslas being charged. Slightly surprised to only find 4 Ionity chargers, with provisions for an additional two parking spots but no chargers installed.

Porsche Taycan Ionity charging experience in South of France EFF59366-86E4-4B4A-9C6B-F1ABD49852A3

As you can see the cable is quite short so lucky to have the camera in the front!!
Plugging in was no problem but then trying to read the display, which of course was directly in the afternoon sun was nearly impossible. The display is also placed quite low, but I found that the display was readable from a lower position. So down on my knees to read. Worked fine with a loud laughter from the Tesla guys. Asking if you needed to pray evertime you wanted to charge?? Must have looked quite funny. The Porsche Connect app would not connect to the internet at all. Everything else on the phone worked but not the Connect app. I started the Charging app instead, scanned the code on the charger and it sounded like a jet taking off from the charger. Success! No hesitation at all. The car was charging at over 100 kW directly. Overall set up time less than two minutes but with being on my knees`!!

Very pleased with the overall experience and just stayed for about 10 minutes with out any greater issues. I am however quite baffled by the fact that Porsche Connect app does give the incorrect number of charging stations and completely incorrect data on power supply. I found another brands charging station on one side of all the Tesla Superchargers, with a 50 kW CCS and Chademo connector as well as a type two socket. But not with the power indicated in the app. If we can not trust the Porsche app then it is really bad. The charging session is also promptly register Ed in my account with Porsche.

Porsche Taycan Ionity charging experience in South of France 9BE74951-358F-4140-9E0E-C544945D68D4

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The nav in the car is disappointing on long journeys. Especially if you don’t know where the best chargers are. The display tends to cut off the KW part so you have no idea. I found the best way was to use ABRP, then program the nav destination, followed by the furthest stopover and try find it and add it. The problem with this is if you add a stopover destination that is not a known charger In the database but you know it is it add more Rapid stopovers and screws up range mode. Programming each stop over manually worked for me. But it ain’t easy.
Sponsored