IONITY charging issue

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
After my first long drive, I decided to charge my Taycan at Cobham services using their IONITY chargers. I’ve signed up to Porsche Charging Services, so thought it would be great to test these 350kW DC chargers at £0.30 per kW.

5 of 6 IONITY chargers were online. However, I could not get my Taycan to initiate charging on any IONITY charger, with “communication error” between charger and the Taycan. I tried the PSC card, the IONITY app (credit card) and even rang IONITY to initiate a remote charge, but always got the same error.

I tried turning off the General charge profile, using Direct Charging, turning the car off, etc, but to no avail.

A fellow Taycan driver showed up, whose car charged without any issue.

Cobham also has GridServe 120kW DC chargers, which worked flawlessly first time. I have the 150kW 400v DC charging optioned on my car.

Any thoughts on why IONITY charging failed?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Sometimes, I have to hold the CCS cable up when the car is "communicating" with Ionity chargers, before the DC power kicks in. Next time, try doing that – hold it against the car, pulling it up as if you are really trying to squeeze the top of the charging plug against the car – it might make all the difference.

See 1:14 on this video from Ionity which mentions this:

I would say that in that video he's not holding it up as firmly as I sometimes have to. Really yank it up against the top of the socket in the car!

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I tried that at the time, but still no luck. I’ll try again next time.

JanL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
After my first long drive, I decided to charge my Taycan at Cobham services using their IONITY chargers. I’ve signed up to Porsche Charging Services, so thought it would be great to test these 350kW DC chargers at £0.30 per kW.

5 of 6 IONITY chargers were online. However, I could not get my Taycan to initiate charging on any IONITY charger, with “communication error” between charger and the Taycan. I tried the PSC card, the IONITY app (credit card) and even rang IONITY to initiate a remote charge, but always got the same error.

I tried turning off the General charge profile, using Direct Charging, turning the car off, etc, but to no avail.

A fellow Taycan driver showed up, whose car charged without any issue.

Cobham also has GridServe 120kW DC chargers, which worked flawlessly first time. I have the 150kW 400v DC charging optioned on my car.

I was facing the same problem during my road trip to France this weekend with brand new Taycan. I've learned from another discussion that park brake has to be activated to start the charging.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I was facing the same problem during my road trip to France this weekend with brand new Taycan. I've learned from another discussion that park brake has to be activated to start the charging.
I can’t remember if I the parking brake on, but I did turn off the car. Still, that’s really good to know! My car has successfully charged since then.

NeilJ

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT (Taycan 4S - sold), VW ID3
Country flag
Sometimes, I have to hold the CCS cable up when the car is "communicating" with Ionity chargers, before the DC power kicks in. Next time, try doing that – hold it against the car, pulling it up as if you are really trying to squeeze the top of the charging plug against the car – it might make all the difference.

See 1:14 on this video from Ionity which mentions this:

I would say that in that video he's not holding it up as firmly as I sometimes have to. Really yank it up against the top of the socket in the car!
Just wanted to reinforce this point. We’re currently on a convoluted route to Italy via Provence. Ionity chargers have by and large been very good (occasional one not working), but yesterday all four failed at one Aire. I’d forgotten the advice above to pull the plug up, especially with chargers where the cable isn’t counter-balanced, so ended up without a charge. Having been reminded of this issue when I searched the forum yesterday evening, I returned to the Aire today and, bingo, lifting the cable to lever the plug right into the socket cured the problem!!

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I tried that at the time, but still no luck. I’ll try again next time.
I had the exact same issue there (Cobham) on my first charge. Called them up but they couldn’t see anything wrong. I switched off and up plugged. I noticed that the IONITY Display screen had OK showing on it, as if someone hadn’t finished their session. So I clicked it and then tried to follow the instructions again. This time it worked!
next time (return journey) it didn’t start until I swiped the RF card. Interestingly the first Plug and Charge session was never billed. Only the card swiped session. :)
Sponsored