tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Just about to catch the boat (has EV charging on-board) from Cherbourg back to Dublin after a week's driving in France (and northern Spain). Rough route:

Cherbourg -> Nantes -> Bordeaux -> San Sebastian -> Andorra (EV black spot) -> La Rochelle -> St. Malo -> Cherbourg.

The IONITY network along the French autoroute's worked well, were available, frequent enough and fast.

In the one or two spots where I had to rely on Total's EV chargers, they also worked and I paid using the Porsche Charging Service.

Most of the hotel's I stayed in had EV charging (or nearby public car parks with chargers) that worked and I started each day with 100%.

I was impressed with my first EV road trip.

I only saw one other Taycan while in France – a white RWD – at an Ionity stop.

I may write up a fuller trip report if there is interest.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Nice to hear That it worked so well for you. Would be nice to hear about your experience in more detail and also how you found the hotels with chargers.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Just about to catch the boat (has EV charging on-board) from Cherbourg back to Dublin after a week's driving in France (and northern Spain). Rough route:

Cherbourg -> Nantes -> Bordeaux -> San Sebastian -> Andorra (EV black spot) -> La Rochelle -> St. Malo -> Cherbourg.

The IONITY network along the French autoroute's worked well, were available, frequent enough and fast.

In the one or two spots where I had to rely on Total's EV chargers, they also worked and I paid using the Porsche Charging Service.

Most of the hotel's I stayed in had EV charging (or nearby public car parks with chargers) that worked and I started each day with 100%.

I’d certainly be interested in a bit more info, if you’ve the time. I plan to go to the continent a lot when mine arrives, subject to the vagaries of the weird world we currently live in.

Thanks!

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just drove from Switzerland to the Scottish Highlands and the charging experience was mainly positive. First charge at a hotel in Baden Baden on a Tesla Wall charger. Worked perfectly. Second at the Ionity charger at Bad Honnef, South of Bonn was the most powerful starting at 260kWh (I don’t recall getting better than 100 kWh at Tesla Suoerchargers with my old 2016 X 90D). Next stop was a challenge - Nav sent me to the Sandelingen Oost “Fastned” Charger and this didn’t work with the Porsche Charging card. Had to take next exit and use Sandelingen West which was an Ionity. First charger wouldn’t connect. Second one worked perfectly and gave a quick 199 kWh of power. Next stop Porsche dealer in Hull worked fine at 150kWh. Next stop Gretna Green on the England / Scotland border worked great with 197kWh. Interestingly there was an ID3, iPace and Polestar 2 at the 3 other chargers and they seemed to be charging about half the speed of the Taycan. A Model 3 which also connected was charging around the same speed as the Taycan. Last stop Perth again 195kWh worked perfectly. So in summary the Ionity charging stations worked well (apart from one), were very fast and are better positioned than the Tesla Suoerchargers as they were typically at motorway service stations or places with facilities. Several Tesla SC’s have no facilities. Main negative is that in the UK the Ionity chargers are few and far between. The 8 brand spanking new Glasgow chargers are still not connected and it looks like we’ll struggle around London. Tesla chargers if slower are easier to find and I never had a failure at a Tesla SC.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The CEO and all the engineeers that developed the charging for these EVs should be forced to only drive said EV and only change at public networks.
Sponsored