IONITY

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
First charge at IONITY yesterday and had a couple of problems.

I arrived with 5% charge left. Very scary !

Firstly Porsche navigation was misleading and I got a message saying not available and that I wouldn’t make it and no alternatives! I know that’s a valid site as my cousin uses it so I was worried to say the least.

When I arrived all chargers were full but I waited about 5 mins and one came available.

I used the Porsche app and started charging got a charge rate of 68kw when these are supposed to be 350kw!

When I finished it seemed to say no cost to charge even though I had topped up for at least 60%.

After ages I stopped and tried the neighbouring charger this time it said cost was 30p ( I would rather pay and get a quicker charge!) and I got a charge rate of 101kw.

Not sure what I did wrong but I’ll learn for this evening when I use another IONITY charger at Beaconsfield.

Porsche Taycan IONITY A6E7EAB7-D4FD-4440-BD75-15217C333CDC

Porsche Taycan IONITY 860F9FC4-6017-4E86-8890-30C6652C5126

Porsche Taycan IONITY E1D85568-DBC5-430E-934D-983C7A73572B

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
I had a similar experience at Cobham a few weeks ago.

First attempt at about 9am at around 30% SOC and I got 64kw (all stalls were being used). That lasted 9 minutes and then failed. So I walked back out from the services and started it again and got the same speed. I gave up after another 10 minutes which had given me enough for the next step of the journey thankfully.

Later that day (9pm) I came back to the same set of Ionity chargers at cobham, used a different stall which was the last one available. I arrived with approx 10% this time an it immediately went above 200kw and stayed high for the full charge while I had a KFC (apologies).

So it's not you, its them!

Might be time of day and overall site load, might be the load on the other Ionity chargers that are in use at the time, who knows. Its not consistent and if you look at the comments on Zap-Map this is normal for them.

In Europe it seems they go flat out every time?

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I think if i was getting at least 100kw then i'm ok with it but i was there for far too long charging (an hour) when i specifically went her for a faster charge. I read the reviews and expected to at least get 150kw otherwise i might aswell have charged it somewhere else while i went for a KFC (don't apologise!).

MK coachstation has NOTHING ! i even had to find 10p for using the loo and getting water (note keep some 10p coins in car !!)

Also the charge did stop in the heavy rain fall - why can't they put a cheap roof above the chargers like BP in neighbouring stalls do ??

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Leeds is horrific , only car there first port wouldn’t work second one I got 103kw max, as it’s not that old either

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
His sounds typical of what I find. When they are really slow they are usually free though. They seem to have got steadily worse over the last two years which is a shame

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Public high-speed charging wise I've been spoilt the last 5 years and have pretty much exclusively used the Tesla supercharger network - which has to be the simplest, fastest and most reliable charging network.

The feedback I read on Ionity really doesn't inspire much confidence and their rollout appears to have stumbled and stalled somewhat - a grand total of 19 charging stations throughout the country is pretty poor.

Maybe the onboard 150 kW DC-DC option was a good box to tick...

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Firstly Porsche navigation was misleading and I got a message saying not available and that I wouldn’t make it and no alternatives! I know that’s a valid site as my cousin uses it so I was worried to say the least.

When I arrived all chargers were full but I waited about 5 mins and one came available.

I used the Porsche app and started charging got a charge rate of 68kw when these are supposed to be 350kw!
Suspect the battery did not pre-heat to enable fast charging due to 1) not thinking it would reach Ionity, 2) the low SoC. In these situations the car heats the battery only when connected to the charger but it then takes time to warm up and reach max charge speed. Like others say, some Ionity don't go as fast as you expect, but generally I've found them excellent.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Suspect the battery did not pre-heat to enable fast charging due to 1) not thinking it would reach Ionity, 2) the low SoC. In these situations the car heats the battery only when connected to the charger but it then takes time to warm up and reach max charge speed. Like others say, some Ionity don't go as fast as you expect, but generally I've found them excellent.
beaconsfield IONITY gave me a better result around 150kw although it slowed down when it hit 60%

Porsche Taycan IONITY E280192D-AA97-47A5-A988-B3D7F0D8C16F

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
I used Gretna and Perth on Monday. Less that 20% left in the battery on both occasions and the satnav route had both chargers on the plan. The battery was heated to 40-50 degrees C when I arrived and I got 260kW+ on both chargers for the first phase of the charge.

I did notice the consumption was very high for the first 5 miles afterwards though, when the battery was very hot. i.e 1.2miles/kW

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’ve never got above 160kw at beaconsfield IONITY in any of the five occasions I tried it

Milton Keynes though I got 265kw and it never charged me for some reason! I had always preheated but tbh I did also notice that fast charge battery optimisation was ticked in charging the day before I went to Milton Keynes so could explain the slower speed at beaconsfield

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
beaconsfield IONITY gave me a better result around 150kw although it slowed down when it hit 60%

E280192D-AA97-47A5-A988-B3D7F0D8C16F.jpeg
I popped into Beaconsfield Services yesterday, not charging related I live nearby, but noticed two Dolomite silver Taycans so went over to look, the Ionity chargers had an assistant there helping drivers to start charging, just wondered how common this was?

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I popped into Beaconsfield Services yesterday, not charging related I live nearby, but noticed two Dolomite silver Taycans so went over to look, the Ionity chargers had an assistant there helping drivers to start charging, just wondered how common this was?
I was parked next to a selfish Tesla driver who had left his car there but wasn’t charging. Other bays were free but it’s just bad manners.

Admit it Simon you went for a KFC like Beardo !?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I was parked next to a selfish Tesla driver who had left his car there but wasn’t charging. Other bays were free but it’s just bad manners.

Admit it Simon you went for a KFC like Beardo !?
Haha, close it was a Leon 🤣🤣

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Aren't these EVSEs load balanced and therefore available output may be limited depending on how busy they are?