iOS 14 Car Play changes -- will no longer allow phone to play music unless cell service turned on for iTunes on my phone

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I updated my iPhone SE to iOS14 and was excited to see new features added. I have one problem and wanted to see if anyone has figured this one out yet. I live in the mountains where there is a lot of blackout cell coverage so Apple Music usually doesn't work and I use my phone with Car Play and downloaded music to provide the tunes. After updating, Car Play won't allow the phone to play music unless I turn on cell service for iTunes on my phone. This is new. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, maybe folks will use this thread to help us all take advantage of Waze and other new features on Car Play.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/23/everything-new-coming-to-carplay-with-ios-14
Sponsored

f02kbf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like the phone deleted the locally cached versions of the songs to make room for the update. Make sure you have the option turned off to “optimize storage” under Music settings and automatic downloads turned on. While on WiFi, create a playlist with all of your music on it. You can then hit the download button for the playlist and it’ll download all of your music. Should play offline after that.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Sounds like the phone deleted the locally cached versions of the songs to make room for the update. Make sure you have the option turned off to “optimize storage” under Music settings and automatic downloads turned on. While on WiFi, create a playlist with all of your music on it. You can then hit the download button for the playlist and it’ll download all of your music. Should play offline after that.
Thanks. That doesn't seem to make the Car Play let me connect without turning on cell data for iTunes. Before the update, I didn't have to have a connection for Car Play to play my downloaded songs. They all still appear on my phone and can play if I have Airplane Mode turned on.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thanks. That doesn't seem to make the Car Play let me connect without turning on cell data for iTunes. Before the update, I didn't have to have a connection for Car Play to play my downloaded songs. They all still appear on my phone and can play if I have Airplane Mode turned on.
Everything does seem to be working, but it wants either a wifi connection or turning cell data on for iTunes and it didn't before. The iOS14 update really makes Car Play a lot better.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
CarPlay got a nice upgrade in iOS 14, but I think a new bug has been introduced. Twice now I’ve been playing music and it’s just stopped - pressing play won’t start the music. Yesterday, while playing music the entire PCM crashed, which is the first time that‘s ever happened to me. The center and lower screens went black (dash screen was working fine) and it took about two minutes for everything to reboot and come back online. iOS 14.2 will be released soon and it may contain a bug fix for me. I can’t yet reliably reproduce it, but when I can I’ll be submitting a bug report to Apple.
Sponsored