Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
Sad to say not in the Taycan CT nor 991 Cabrio as there are no longer any ferries between Sweden and UK. For this trip, I find it too long to pass the channel etc.... Hence, it will be by plane to Dublin and rented car. :confused:

Will first go by airport bus or train to Belfast for a four day reunion with former international colleagues. Will then have roughly two full days in Dublin to enjoy the city life followed by one week roadtrip on the countryside. Probably mostly along the scenic coastline for landscape photography, good seafood, drinks and nice places to stay.

In spite of not doing this trip in a Taycan (if no loaner from Porsche Center Dublin :clap:) any suggestions not to miss during these ten days on Ireland?

//Mats
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

Brian IRL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW E30 Cabriolet, VW ID4
Country flag
Second tigerbalm’s opinion, west cork & Kerry drives and coastlines are fantastic!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Strongly endorse @tigerbalm suggestion. We lived in Ireland for ten years and have enjoyed parts of that west coast drive several times. You will have a memory for life. Great food and fantastic pubs and people.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Been mulling over a trip to the Emerald Isle as well. Still not quite sure how the toll roads work (we don't have those here), and whether it is cool with the car hire company to cross over to Northern Ireland. Would be nice to visit some Gaeltacht areas and see the beautiful nature!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Been mulling over a trip to the Emerald Isle as well. Still not quite sure how the toll roads work (we don't have those here), and whether it is cool with the car hire company to cross over to Northern Ireland. Would be nice to visit some Gaeltacht areas and see the beautiful nature!
There is only one automated toll road in Ireland – meaning there are no toll barriers – its the M50 that circles Dublin. If you cross it you have until 20.00 the next day to pay online using your registration number.

(Btw, the toll is €0.52c if you are in an EV!)

All other toll's have barriers and machines where you either pay with euro coins or card/phone tap to open the gate.

Some rental cars might even have a toll device attached to windscreen.

All rental car companies allow their cars cross into Northern Ireland – i.e, stay on the island – so you'll have no issues there. They won't allow you take the car off the island – at least without advance permission.

Even though crossing into Northern Ireland from the Republic you are entering into a different country, entering into the United Kingdom – even leaving the European Union – its not really treated as any of that.

The relationship between Ireland and Northern Ireland is bound by a million, billion special rules – as the UK government is currently discovering (* and agreed to!).

Please come and enjoy the two countries on this island – and don't worry too much about "the rules" – we are generally a laid back bunch.

OP
OP

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all your great advices. Have also heard about the Blue book covering nice country houses, castles to stay in.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.irelands-blue-book.ie

Was aware of it – but haven't used it. Its got some really good listings but isn't exhaustive. I had a look at some area's that I am familiar with and its missing some good options in various town's – in some cases the superior option.

But you won't go wrong with the list there either – some nice country estates, lighthouses and castles.

I'd use it as inspiration and perhaps if you see something you like in an area – search that area on hotels.com or booking.com – they have almost everywhere in Ireland.

When you get to planning stage - ask questions here – and you'll get some local suggestions.

Here are two of my favourite: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/short-road-trips-weekends-irish-castles.6854/

OP
OP

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.irelands-blue-book.ie

Was aware of it – but haven't used it. Its got some really good listings but isn't exhaustive. I had a look at some area's that I am familiar with and its missing some good options in various town's – in some cases the superior option.

But you won't go wrong with the list there either – some nice country estates, lighthouses and castles.

I'd use it as inspiration and perhaps if you see something you like in an area – search that area on hotels.com or booking.com – they have almost everywhere in Ireland.

When you get to planning stage - ask questions here – and you'll get some local suggestions.

Here are two of my favourite: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/short-road-trips-weekends-irish-castles.6854/
Thanks a lot. Will for sure start a more detailed planning in a few weeks. Re Northern Ireland, we are all set with a comprehensive program. Ireland we will do on our own and open to all options as long as we will meet great people, food, drinks and landscape. ;) Will just miss the opportunity to drive in either the Taycan or the 911.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
On my last visit home to Dublin a month or so ago we did a side trip through Kerry to Cork (did Kinsale etc), but in regards the toll roads both in and everywhere outside Dublin we used, all of them accepted credit card Tap which makes them a breeze to use - wasn't always the case but definitely appears to not be a concern at all now; same experience a few months further back on another visit when we vacationed over in Galway and pts north).

Cheers, C.

Annalore

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Audi A7
Country flag
Thanks a lot. Will for sure start a more detailed planning in a few weeks. Re Northern Ireland, we are all set with a comprehensive program. Ireland we will do on our own and open to all options as long as we will meet great people, food, drinks and landscape. ;) Will just miss the opportunity to drive in either the Taycan or the 911.
When you are in Belfast try to visit the village of Hillsborough, even if you skip the castle tour the village and surrounds are special.
If in Kinsale highly recommend Man Fridays for dinner. After a gap of 25 years we did the Cork and Kerry coast line last September…on clear days some of the views are world class
Sponsored