Is $157K MSRP too much for 4S

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
PCCB's are a waste of money on a car where 90% of the braking is regenerative. Base brakes or PSCB's are the way to go. Mine had MSRP of $149,500. I thought that was a little too much but did get 10% off a 2020 model on the lost in 11/20. The resale value percentage is best if options are generally under 20% of base MSRP as a rule of thumb.
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Unless you are going to track the car, I see no reason for the PCCB brakes. Save yourself like $4-5K and just get the coated brakes.
Agreed. For the Taycan, it’s not even clear how much you’re using the brakes in the first place!
I don’t understand why people remove the name from the back unless you don’t want people to know you have a 4S.
I optioned this on my car, and I regret it for this reason. I just don’t like badging generally, so I thought it would be nice not to have the badging. However, I definitely don’t like people thinking I’ve splurged for the Turbo or Turbo S, so I am considering having it added back on.

OP
OP

squiresGT3

First Name
Squires
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.2 GT3 Touring
Country flag
Unless you are going to track the car, I see no reason for the PCCB brakes. Save yourself like $4-5K and just get the coated brakes. I don’t understand why people remove the name from the back unless you don’t want people to know you have a 4S.
PCCB is a must for me . My White GT3 Touring has it so I would like to match them look like twin .

I don’t like Model logo because something always got stuck in between ..like when you are using micro fiber towel cleaning wiping the rear bumper it got stuck with the logo and scratching the paint. Also car looks a lot cleaner without logo anyway.
I’m still on the fence if I should stay with 4S build or spend $30K more for Turbo. Thank you everyone

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Here is updated 4S build
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMM95BI6

All CF parts been removed .. now I’m at $146K for 4S ...and 176K for Tubo

I’m not sure the $30K different will worth the upgrade.
I ended up coming to the same conclusion, The Turbo is quicker but honestly I was impressed and satisfied by the performance of the 4S when I test drove it. TEHO.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
PCCB's are a waste of money on a car where 90% of the braking is regenerative. Base brakes or PSCB's are the way to go. Mine had MSRP of $149,500. I thought that was a little too much but did get 10% off a 2020 model on the lost in 11/20. The resale value percentage is best if options are generally under 20% of base MSRP as a rule of thumb.
Unless you are going to track the car, I see no reason for the PCCB brakes. Save yourself like $4-5K and just get the coated brakes. I don’t understand why people remove the name from the back unless you don’t want people to know you have a 4S.
Actually, PCCB's aren't a great choice for tracking because, while extremely effective, they do wear significantly in very heavy use and replacement costs are huge. Many guys who frequently track their PCCB equipped cars replace the rotors with aftermarket cast iron and save the PCCB's for lighter duty use.

I ordered PCCB's in part because I have them on my GT3 and feel like it would be a step down not to order them on the Taycan. If you drive the Taycan in a spirited fashion, as I plan to do, you will definitely get past regen into the friction brakes so it's not like they won't get used. They have great feel, don't dust, don't fade, are much lighter than both the standard and especially the big PSCB rotors, and they look terrific. They're also a known quantity and I guess I am a bit leery of the mere 0.1 mm tungsten carbide coating on the PSCB's. Porsche says the PSCB's will last 30% longer than cast iron but while much cheaper to replace than PCCB's they are about 5 times more expensive than cast iron. FWIW, I auto-crossed my GT3 for 4 seasons and did plenty of canyon carving. The last time the dealer checked with their special electronic tool the wear on my PCCB's was negligible. They will last virtually forever in street use.

Anyway, that was my rationale for getting PCCB's. YMMV.

Last edited:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I got PCCBs over Sport Design & Burmester. The choice was cosmetic as much as performance. They look incredible.

Mslk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah the brake decision comes down to what color do you like best?!

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
ha.. and that price is b4 taxes... Fuck it. go for it . your gonna love it. and as far as PCCB are concerned. your gonna loves those . the only regret you will have is if you decide not to get them.
Great build.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
ha.. and that price is b4 taxes... Fuck it. go for it . your gonna love it. and as far as PCCB are concerned. your gonna loves those . the only regret you will have is if you decide not to get them.
Great build.
I got the PCCB as the PSCB was not available when I did my build for the mission E wheels.. I got the dealer to drop the cost of the PCCB to match the PSCB price so it was a net 0 for me... only negative was I wanted white calipers- had to have the yellow with the PCCB....

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
As a gauge for whether you've "over specced" the car when it comes to future resale value, you might want to look at Porsche's mrm (maximum residualizable msrp) that they use for leases on your model. The edmunds lease forums are usually a good place to look for that info if you're interested.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
As a gauge for whether you've "over specced" the car when it comes to future resale value, you might want to look at Porsche's mrm (maximum residualizable msrp) that they use for leases on your model. The edmunds lease forums are usually a good place to look for that info if you're interested.
I believe the MRM on a 4S is $138,200. If you can get a discount on your options/car and get near the MRM, that would make more sense.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
170k for a 4S?
Pretty easy to get the 4S up to >$180K. I didn't really even need to add crazy things like embossed leather or personalized illuminated door sills. Granted, I didn't buy the car that I configured to that price, but still... :D

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just be aware that the moment you sign on the dotted line your $157 MSRP Taycan will be worth $125-130k MAX. You're getting a bunch of expensive options that have no resale value.
Sponsored

Last edited: