Is anyone driving a Taycan without Rear-Axle Steering?

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
My order was placed a while ago and my biggest regret was not getting the rear-axle steering, I'm now worried this will ruin my experience of the Taycan as its such a heavy car and I'm coming from a 981 Boxster!!

Making a change to the spec now could delay the car and being in the UK this could trigger a 10% Brexit levy which I really want to avoid for obvious reasons.

I've only test driven models with the rear-axle steering. Does anyone have any experience driving Taycans without this option? How does it feel? Is it going to be the heavy nightmare I'm afraid of or is it really only a subtle difference?

Someone please help to put my mind at rest
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My order was placed a while ago and my biggest regret was not getting the rear-axle steering, I'm now worried this will ruin my experience of the Taycan as its such a heavy car and I'm coming from a 981 Boxster!!

Making a change to the spec now could delay the car and being in the UK this could trigger a 10% Brexit levy which I really want to avoid for obvious reasons.

I've only test driven models with the rear-axle steering. Does anyone have any experience driving Taycans without this option? How does it feel? Is it going to be the heavy nightmare I'm afraid of or is it really only a subtle difference?

Which model are you buying? if you are getting a Turbo you can still spec change and get it before the end of the year. its standard on the Turbo S i think. 4S they might be able to squeeze you in

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

It won't ruin it, because the weight does not matter. Nevertheless, RAS was the first very pleasant surprise I had, when I drove the car off the dealer ship.

There is also this very funny feeling you get when the car drives side-wards. This happened when I was quickly changing lane on highway speeds... :)

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag

I have test driven cars with and without it and to be honest I could hardy tell the difference. As a consequence I did not specify it for my Turbo (Nov build) and simply ordered power steering plus instead, which at £203 is considerably cheaper! My Porsche dealer told me it was definitely a 'nice to have' rather than a 'need to have' option. Each to their own I guess but I am happy not to have it.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
I have a 4s without it. My demo drive was in a loaded turbo s and to be candid the demo drive was mind-blowing on many levels but it was clearly no boxster. Light cars are snappy. I had to reign in the options at some point and I had faith that Porsche wouldn't produce a bloated pig that could only handle when spec'ed with all the widgets. It's never going to feel like a boxster but it turns in nicely and with summer tires fitted I really like the handling.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
As a daily drive, the difference can be felt when doing a quick lane change; negotiating in and out of tight parking areas; or performing tight u-turns with the rear axle steering (RAS). The RAS feature becomes markedly discernable when either tracking or doing spirited driving, where quick lane maneuvers and high-speed cornering comes into play.

zardoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 BMW Z8 , 2010 BMW 1M , 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

I have about 1,800 miles on my 4S. No rear axle steering. Do not really notice it vs the test drive car that had it. This car is my DD. Not a track car. I had to reign in options as well. One more thing that can do wrong IMHO

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have a 981 Boxster S and a 4S without the rear steering. Agree with everyone's comments that the 4S is NOT a Boxster - you can tell the 4S weighs 5000 lbs! But I think you'll be fine without the rear wheel steering - the car still has an impressive turn radius even without the rear steering (better than my old BMW 435), and performs better than most other sports sedans even in the corners at speed. It doesn't have that "connected at the hips" feel of the Boxster, but is just as enjoyable to drive. I still break out the Boxster to get the open air feel and aural experience of an ICE... but otherwise the 4S is leaps and bounds better in almost all other aspects.

wil932

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
First let me say I have a 4s without rear steering. I too was concerned that I did not add RS to my order and wondered if I should add it before my order locked. In spite of my continued lock date inquiry to my SA, I was told that (maybe due to COVOD) my lock date had in fact locked 2 days earlier and that no changes were possible.

My SA said that I didn't really miss anything by not adding RS unless I was going to track the car. I accepted that I could live without the option as I wasn't going to track the car.

Interestingly weeks later I read an account of someone who attended a test drive of a Taycan, sponsored by Porsche, with multiple people attending. Afterward they all commented how terrific the rear steering was on the track. One participant, knowing that none of the test cars actually had rear steering, privately commented to the the host that none of the cars had rear steering on them. He acknowledged he knew that and asked him not to say anything. I looked for that story but haven't found it tonight.

I have never had RS on my cars, so I guess I haven't missed it and thoroughly have enjoyed my 4s so far. Food for thought.

Jayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi Q7 50, BMW 330 cabrio
Country flag
I have test driven cars with and without it and to be honest I could hardy tell the difference. As a consequence I did not specify it for my Turbo (Nov build) and simply ordered power steering plus instead, which at £203 is considerably cheaper! My Porsche dealer told me it was definitely a 'nice to have' rather than a 'need to have' option. Each to their own I guess but I am happy not to have it.
exactly the same advice from my dealer and the difference is very mild in real life. Don’r bother

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
There are 21 hairpin bends to cover between the autoroute and my place in the mountains so I specced the RAS for that.

Also hoping it reduces the likelihood of my girlfriend kerbing the wheels in town...

Woolfey

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Soon-I hope), Mercedes C43 Cab, Range Rover Sport Hybrid
Country flag

Not gone for it myself and the car is still glued to the country roads in Hertfordshire. I considered it but didn't bother as I wanted it to be more of a sports car than a sports saloon. Test drove a car with RS and it doesn't really impact me personally, its really very much down to personal preference. Try and get a ride in both.

terryb

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.2 GT3, Mk4 Megane Trophy-R, C1 Race Car
Country flag
I reckon drifting will be more controllable without RWS :CWL:
Sponsored