Is anyone driving a Taycan without Rear-Axle Steering?

rjb3md

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I have a 4S without it. Was talked out of it by the salesperson.....after I drove one with it. In my opinion, RWS actually makes the ride very unpleasant for a passenger, particularly back seat passengers. I am very glad I don't have it, and so is my wife,
Sponsored

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
There are 21 hairpin bends to cover between the autoroute and my place in the mountains so I specced the RAS for that.

Also hoping it reduces the likelihood of my girlfriend kerbing the wheels in town...
Mine came so equipped and I don't mind at all. It actually functions so seamlessly that it is difficult to "notice" while driving except when exiting that one corner you swore you were going too fast for. Thats when you find yourself thinking whoa, how did THAT happen?
I really wanted to say that I appreciate the maneuverability at low speed; while parking, backing into the garage, etc. That is the one great advantage I've noticed.

Cheers

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Mine came so equipped and I don't mind at all. It actually functions so seamlessly that it is difficult to "notice" while driving except when exiting that one corner you swore you were going too fast for. Thats when you find yourself thinking whoa, how did THAT happen?
I really wanted to say that I appreciate the maneuverability at low speed; while parking, backing into the garage, etc. That is the one great advantage I've noticed.

Cheers
Do you also have PTV+ and PDCC?

Those options also adds to the driving experience - especially in corners.

jxobrien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo S, '19 GT3, '95 911,'17 Macan GTS,
Country flag
I read somewhere that RAS reduces the turning radius from 19.2ft down to 17.05ft. I split my time between NYC/CT area (pre C19) so I have to contend with parallel parking and some tight parking lots. RAS shines most (in daily life) when you're stuck in slow, tight maneuvering situations or fast cornering/track sessions. I've had it on my last 2 cars so it was a must for me.

If you haven't had RAS in any other car, I'd argue you will not miss it.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
My order was placed a while ago and my biggest regret was not getting the rear-axle steering, I'm now worried this will ruin my experience of the Taycan as its such a heavy car and I'm coming from a 981 Boxster!!

Making a change to the spec now could delay the car and being in the UK this could trigger a 10% Brexit levy which I really want to avoid for obvious reasons.

I've only test driven models with the rear-axle steering. Does anyone have any experience driving Taycans without this option? How does it feel? Is it going to be the heavy nightmare I'm afraid of or is it really only a subtle difference?

Someone please help to put my mind at rest
It is never going to be like a 981 Boxster because that has as much to do with weight distribution over the front and rear axles as it does with overall weight.

What I can tell you is that it drives as well as you would expect for a 4/5 seater car with a length approaching 5metres! Its evenly weighted because of the cells and that distributes the weight across 2 powered axles which you don't have in a 981. This results in little understeer and bags of traction beyond your Boxster could ever imagine - and that's in 2 4S' with no rear wheel steering or even the adaptive chassis - those are the cars I test drove.

The only place you might see a difference is in slow town driving/parking - Personally I did not bother to include it and from what I have heard from others, if you haven't had it you won't know any different but if you've had it, you miss it...but, coming from a 981, you're talking a totally different car with the Taycan.

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
Do you also have PTV+ and PDCC?

Those options also adds to the driving experience - especially in corners.
Yes. Mine was among a batch of Jet Black Turbo S's that Porsche sent to various dealers in December last year, along with "demo" models. Essentially a surprise to the dealerships, they were authorized to sell them. Thus it was with mine!
They came "fully" equipped with options and even the Burmester Stereo.

Cheers

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Never driven with RWS. Mine sticks to the road and corners well. I haven’t managed to slide the car at all.
Sponsored