2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
Electric Sport Sound is an "extra sound" to the legal one fot inside and outside the car. So if you don't spec it your car will be legal anyway.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I just read this and it seems all new UK EV’s are required to have sound under 20 km/h. (See link). Does this mean Electric Sport Sound is required (and if so why is it an option?), and since I have it as an option (but hate it) - do I need to use it? Is it an option in the EU (where this law originated?). Thanks!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-stop-silent-electric-cars-and-improve-safety
All EVs have an external pedestrian sound by law (UK, Europe and I imagine further afield).

Electric sport sound is something entirely different. In cabin sound, throttle blip on down change (Sport / Sport Plus Mode) and deeper / louder external sound and is entirely optional.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Electric and hybrid cars: new rules on noise emitting to protect vulnerable road users (europa.eu)

This is required on all new EV's sold after July 2019. (in EU/EFTA++ countries) And being in a business that could potentially benefit from such a law beeing mandated for older EV's as well, we discovered there are actually aftermarket solutions for this. BUT...luckily (or unluckily depending on wich side of the table you are sitting :D) The law only applies to new vehicles, and was not made mandatory in older cars.

Jingle AVAS 2.0 - ACOUSTIC VEHICLE ALERT SYSTEM (GPS Antenna not included) - Safety on the road - Paser SRL

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
All EVs have an external pedestrian sound by law (UK, Europe and I imagine further afield).

Electric sport sound is something entirely different. In cabin sound, throttle blip on down change (Sport / Sport Plus Mode) and deeper / louder external sound and is entirely optional.
It is the same in the US. All EVs are required to have an external warning sound that is activated when traveling at slow speeds. Full compliance by EVs was 2019. You can download the rule from: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/quietcar_finalrule_11142016.pdf

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Without the sound package it still makes cool sound. I love hearing it hum down the street and hear my wife pulling into the driveway. It doesn’t shake the house like the cayenne S we replaced.
Sponsored