Is it possible for 3 Kids in the back seat (2 car seats + 1 booster)

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Hey guys,

Does anyone here drive 3 kids in the back seat? We have 2 kids currently and might be adding 1 at some point and I'm curious on how to fit in.
My 7yr old can move to a simple booster seat, my 4yrs old is in a more structured booster seat and the infant would be facing rear for a couple years.

Thoughts? Anyone doing that and can share some pictures of the set up and space?
Sponsored

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Hey guys,

Does anyone here drive 3 kids in the back seat? We have 2 kids currently and might be adding 1 at some point and I'm curious on how to fit in.
My 7yr old can move to a simple booster seat, my 4yrs old is in a more structured booster seat and the infant would be facing rear for a couple years.

Thoughts? Anyone doing that and can share some pictures of the set up and space?
I have been able to fit three skinny 16 year olds in the back. Person in the middle sat a little higher than others and said it was fine for the shorter rides.
I imagine two boosters and a rear facing would be tight due to the base sizes of the devices.
Maybe your dealer would let you try placing your two boosters and the rear facing which you probably still have in a Taycan on the lot to see how you like it.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
If you put the infant rear facing in the middle and get a belt-based isofix seat you can link them to the inner points of the left and right seat, then put your boosters on either side. No guarantee if this won't result in a lot of complaints tho.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think it would be too tight to be practical - I think you could “make” it work - but I lack confidence it would really be effective.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really doubt that this works in practice as soon as more than 1 baby/booster/infant seat of any kind is involved.

I have 2 backless boosters (for an 8 and 5 yr old) that I bought precisely because they were narrow enough to fit (believe me, that took several attempts of buying and returning different options).

I can measure it, but even just putting a backpack between those boosters is annoying. I really really doubt anybody would have any fun sitting in between. It's too narrow and unfortunately the Taycan also has a battery tunnel or whatever nuking space for feet next to the "foot garages".
Aside from the fact that getting in would be a major hassle every time...

Edit: I measured it: 8 1/2 inches (22cm) of space in between.
For such a wide vehicle, the Taycan has surprisingly little space width wise in the rear seat.

OP
OP
andre-s

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have been able to fit three skinny 16 year olds in the back...
If you put the infant rear facing in the middle and get a belt-based isofix seat...
I think it would be too tight to be practical - I think you could “make” it work - but I lack confidence it would really be effective.
I really doubt that this works in practice as soon as more than 1 baby/booster/infant seat of any kind is involved...
Thank you all for your thoughts!! Yeah, so as I thought, it would be hard to use as a family car. So I better enjoy it until, and if, baby #3 comes in and then move on to something bigger. Too sad to realize that, but I agree, it wouldn't be practical. As mine is 2 seats only, I would need to change it to get a 2+1 anyway, so by then I just have to go look for something else.

OP
OP
andre-s

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have three kids, 4, 9, and 12. They fit but it’s tight. No problem for driving around town, but a several hour road trip would be too much.
If anytime you have a chance, can you send me a photo of them sitting there? It can be via message if you don't want to post here.
I imagine your 9 as 12 are not on backless booster, so might be a little better than my situation but worth to see the space.

Adriansjo

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a front facing(4yesrs) and infant seat in my 4s. It works great and it was also possible to bring the 8year old. It was a little crowded in the back but works perfectly for short and medium length trips. Can try to get a picture of the layout tomorrow if you would like to see

OP
OP
andre-s

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have a front facing(4yesrs) and infant seat in my 4s. It works great and it was also possible to bring the 8year old. It was a little crowded in the back but works perfectly for short and medium length trips. Can try to get a picture of the layout tomorrow if you would like to see
THAT WOULD BE PERFECT!!
It's my situation, so I would love to see how they fit in there. Thanks so much Adrian

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Edit: I measured it: 8 1/2 inches (22cm) of space in between.
For such a wide vehicle, the Taycan has surprisingly little space width wise in the rear seat.
Yeah the ratio of its exterior dimensions to interior room has got to be one of the worst outside of 70s American personal luxury coupes and such. I think the Mini Clubman has similar interior room for example (though the mini probably has slightly more legroom). I don't know how porsche managed it.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
If anytime you have a chance, can you send me a photo of them sitting there? It can be via message if you don't want to post here.
I imagine your 9 as 12 are not on backless booster, so might be a little better than my situation but worth to see the space.
My 9 year old is at cross-country so my wife filled in. You can see my 12 year old son in the middle is tight in the shoulder area. Leg room not an issue. Like I've said, they have put up with driving around town, but a long road trip would be too much.

As bsclywilly recommended, the Diono car seats are great and really narrow. We did have my daughter in a booster until recently, and it was fine.

Porsche Taycan Is it possible for 3 Kids in the back seat (2 car seats + 1 booster) IMG_4185

Porsche Taycan Is it possible for 3 Kids in the back seat (2 car seats + 1 booster) IMG_4187

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Thank you all for your thoughts!! Yeah, so as I thought, it would be hard to use as a family car. So I better enjoy it until, and if, baby #3 comes in and then move on to something bigger. Too sad to realize that, but I agree, it wouldn't be practical. As mine is 2 seats only, I would need to change it to get a 2+1 anyway, so by then I just have to go look for something else.
I think you can do it even without the 2+1 because you can anchor the infant seat in the middle with the two sides seats isofix points. Just throw a small towel over the tray area. Boosters front facing with a middle rear facing should be fine.

I've done a full family in an E400 coupe -- but then again I also got an X7 for family trips to go along with the Taycan so maybe im not the right representative
Sponsored