Is it safe to leave your key in the car?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've never left my key in the car, for fear of it somehow causing the 12v battery drain issue. But it's what I'd prefer to do when I leave the car in the garage. What do you think? With the latest software patch, is it now safe to leave the key in the car?
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It could be OK, but it is not my preference, since I like leaving the car locked, even in my car. If you do it, definitely report back on the experience. I think it is less risky if you drive fairly regularly (daily). I, on the other hand, can go days without driving my car, so I would definitely be a risk for me.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Seems obvious, but be sure to turn the car off using the power switch. Otherwise should be fine. The risk would be if the car should turn itself on since it is programmed to turn on when it senses a key and the front door is closed,

Buck

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
And if someone breaks in your garage they could steal the car correct?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've never left my key in the car, for fear of it somehow causing the 12v battery drain issue. But it's what I'd prefer to do when I leave the car in the garage. What do you think? With the latest software patch, is it now safe to leave the key in the car?
If the key doesn't flash when in the car then there should be no drain issue. I think it only flashes when outside but be sure to check.

IJC9

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
I park my car in a 24/7 attendant public garage, and discovered that if the key is left outside the car (as it was, on the windshield), the key's battery completely drains. I don't think that happens when the key is left inside the car, though then the car cannot be locked, to my knowledge.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I think if you stick it in the first cupholder with the key close to the dash side, it charges? or will let the car start.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I park my car in a 24/7 attendant public garage, and discovered that if the key is left outside the car (as it was, on the windshield), the key's battery completely drains. I don't think that happens when the key is left inside the car, though then the car cannot be locked, to my knowledge.
You cannot lock the car without the active key being outside the car. If you have two keys with you then one can be locked in the car but you can only lock the car with the key you used to open it in the first place in this instance.

Leaving the key in close proximity will drain the battery (observe the flashing red light on the key) - so take care not to do that.

The key is not rechargeable. Placing the key in the cupholder simply ensures the key is detected by the proximity sensor which is located directly beneath. Sometimes you may see 'Key not found' - to re-register place the key in the cupholder as needed so that the key is recognised again.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
You cannot lock the car without the active key being outside the car. If you have two keys with you then one can be locked in the car but you can only lock the car with the key you used to open it in the first place in this instance.

Leaving the key in close proximity will drain the battery (observe the flashing red light on the key) - so take care not to do that.

The key is not rechargeable. Placing the key in the cupholder simply ensures the key is detected by the proximity sensor which is located directly beneath. Sometimes you may see 'Key not found' - to re-register place the key in the cupholder as needed so that the key is recognised again.
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere (apologies, lazy on my part for not searching), but what is the minimum distance for the key to not be detected by the car (and/or cause any drain issues)?

I ask as our detached garage is ca. 40-50 ft from the nearest kitchen window - another 10 ft maybe to where I would currently drop my car key - curious to know if I have to change my habits!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere (apologies, lazy on my part for not searching), but what is the minimum distance for the key to not be detected by the car (and/or cause any drain issues)?

I ask as our detached garage is ca. 40-50 ft from the nearest kitchen window - another 10 ft maybe to where I would currently drop my car key - curious to know if I have to change my habits!
You can use a Faraday cover to suppress with wireless signals or place at least 3m away (the key will stop flashing) and further still to be sure.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
If the key doesn't flash when in the car then there should be no drain issue. I think it only flashes when outside but be sure to check.
Correct, flashes when outside. I have found that the flashing (communicating) stops when the key is ~10 feet away from the car.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have actually managed to lock my key in the car once.
I used my key to open and drive the car with the key in my jacket pocket. It got too hot so I took off the jacket and threw it into the back seat, where I left it when going into the house. I pressed the sensor on the drivers door and the car obliged and locked!
I only discovered once I was inside the house that my key was not in my pocket!
luckily enough my wife had the spare key with her as we were about 3000 km from our home.

I was a bit surprised that it work that way as I also thought it would not lock with the key inside, but it did.
All went well though but lesson learned.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have actually managed to lock my key in the car once.
I used my key to open and drive the car with the key in my jacket pocket. It got too hot so I took off the jacket and threw it into the back seat, where I left it when going into the house. I pressed the sensor on the drivers door and the car obliged and locked!
I only discovered once I was inside the house that my key was not in my pocket!
luckily enough my wife had the spare key with her as we were about 3000 km from our home.

I was a bit surprised that it work that way as I also thought it would not lock with the key inside, but it did.
All went well though but lesson learned.
I've tried (and failed) to lock my keys in the car. I've locked my wife's key in the car when using my own key which makes sense.

Inconsistent behaviour to say the least.
Sponsored