Is it safe to use the Connect app post-update?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Given the association between use of the Connect app and the 12V battery depletion issues (see numerous other threads on this forum), I never used the app to communicate with or check on my MY2020 4S. Tomorrow, I have my WMA5/7 update appointment. Is there any indication or evidence that it is safe to start using the Connect app post-update without increasing the risk of 12V battery issues?
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Given the association between use of the Connect app and the 12V battery depletion issues (see numerous other threads on this forum), I never used the app to communicate with or check on my MY2020 4S. Tomorrow, I have my WMA5/7 update appointment. Is there any indication or evidence that it is safe to start using the Connect app post-update without increasing the risk of 12V battery issues?
The correlation between the app and the 12v issue was for a very specific use case (read threads on that), so outside of that use case, it was safe to use it before the update. Post update, I don't know that anyone has tested that use case, so it is conjecture at best as to whether or not it was fully addressed. Porsche was well aware of the issue, so I expect it was.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It was never not safe in my view. I have a MY21 car and have never stopped using the app pre and post software (WMA6) update.

The app continues to prove problematic in terms of functionality / reliability but any 12V fault arising due to its use ought to be addressed.

I never leave the charger connected for more than 24 hours and do not have PLC (Power Line Communications) enabled for network (it is enabled to the car to enable pin-less access to PMCC and charge authorisation) which were a couple of items flagged as possible battery drainers.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The correlation between the app and the 12v issue was for a very specific use case (read threads on that), so outside of that use case, it was safe to use it before the update. Post update, I don't know that anyone has tested that use case, so it is conjecture at best as to whether or not it was fully addressed. Porsche was well aware of the issue, so I expect it was.
@Reg , thanks for reminding me. You are referring to using or changing timer settings via the Connect app, I presume? Has there been no other association between app use and 12V problems beyond this?

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know you've already seen the thread, but for clarity, I had the 12V issue yesterday on WMA6 and I was not using the app. It got picked up earlier and taken into Porsche Cambridge for diagnosis.

So from that perspective, the app cannot make it any worse. Enjoy!

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/locked-out.3916/page-2#post-62282
I very much saw your shocking thread, @TomC , and pitied you for having had the dubious honor of being the first post-update Taycanizen to report the 12V kiss of death. Any further news on its root cause meanwhile?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To further clarify what @Reg said, the theory (and it's just that - a theory) is that changing the active timer and/or profile while connected to the charger is a possible cause of 12V death (prior to WMA5/WMA6 updates). I don't believe there is any evidence that any other use of the Connect app, while connected or not connected to a charger, has contributed to 12V death.

Porsche sees stats of how many people use the app. Yes it has problems. If they see no one is using it, they are less likely to fix it.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To further clarify what @Reg said, the theory (and it's just that - a theory) is that changing the active timer and/or profile while connected to the charger is a possible cause of 12V death (prior to WMA5/WMA6 updates). I don't believe there is any evidence that any other use of the Connect app, while connected or not connected to a charger, has contributed to 12V death.

Porsche sees stats of how many people use the app. Yes it has problems. If they see no one is using it, they are less likely to fix it.
All right, I will give it a try and start using the Connect app after I get my Taycan back which is (hopefully) being WMA5/7-updated as we speak.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't had the car back long enough after the update to try it (It's back in the shop with no AC, again). But when and if I get it back, I am gonna push the app hard and see what happens. The update was a response to the 12V battery issue and we might as well find out if it fixed the problem or not. If the car is dead again(12V dead, already happened once) they can keep it beacsue I'm not taking it back.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
I very much saw your shocking thread, @TomC , and pitied you for having had the dubious honor of being the first post-update Taycanizen to report the 12V kiss of death. Any further news on its root cause meanwhile?
I was speaking to the Taycan tech at my dealership today. He said the issue is based on the power line communication feature. In Europe, the car is able to communicate with the home power - idk what for - but it is not available in the US. So, in some circumstances in the US, the car tries to communicate with something that isn't there and the 12v batt dies in the process. The solution is to disconnect the PLC module so it can't try to do something it can't do. From what I understand, it is something they will/should make sure is done to your car whenever it is brought in for service.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was speaking to the Taycan tech at my dealership today. He said the issue is based on the power line communication feature. In Europe, the car is able to communicate with the home power - idk what for - but it is not available in the US. So, in some circumstances in the US, the car tries to communicate with something that isn't there and the 12v batt dies in the process. The solution is to disconnect the PLC module so it can't try to do something it can't do. From what I understand, it is something they will/should make sure is done to your car whenever it is brought in for service.
This has been covered in another thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...sues-caught-in-the-act.3729/page-4#post-51789

What you're probably referring to is the Porsche Home Electronic Monitor (PHEM) which is not available in the US. I was told my PLC was incorrectly looking for a PHEM every 15 minutes and that is what caused my battery drain. The solution was to disable the PLC module from 'looking' for the PHEM and problem solved. Too bad they didn't catch this in the factory...?