Is Porsche starting to cheapen the interior?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'm boring. I like to order my cars the way I like it, and expect the manufacturer to deliver.

I don't want to have to upgrade suspension and brakes, I don't want to have to redo the interior.
I want to pay for the privilege of getting the car made correctly from the start.
That's why they give you the option to have them in suede or leather.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

motherheroic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo S
my 2018 panamera turbo s e hybrid was silent in EV mode with no creaks or rattles with full leather everywhere standard, our new taycan is rattling and creaking and vibrating all over. the other day i notice the door pockets are wrapped in pleather instead of leather, the amount of PU and plastics in the Turbo S trim is shocking.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm boring. I like to order my cars the way I like it, and expect the manufacturer to deliver.

I don't want to have to upgrade suspension and brakes, I don't want to have to redo the interior.
I want to pay for the privilege of getting the car made correctly from the start.
Actually, that is one of the things I like, and hate, about Porsche, the plethora of options available. With a car this expensive it is nice to be able to individualize the build to my tastes. Of course it is also easy to miss an option you later regret not taking.

My wife loves her Acura RDX. With Acuras you have four or five trim levels and the color to choose from, that's about it. You'd be hard-pressed to find more than a couple of thousand dollars in options, none of them, to my mind, that are very important.

With my 4S I ended up with over 50% of the base price just in options and the only thing that saved me from even more was the freeze date or I'm pretty sure I would have convinced myself there were a couple of more I needed.

YawningFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've noticed a number of things in the Taycan that I feel were substantially better on the 911.

The leather interior seems very optimized to save even the last half inch of leather: there's no leather on the outside of the right driver's seat bolster (and mirrored on the other side), there's no leather in the inner space of the rear armrest (that one bugs me, because that is very visible), the leather stops very early on the front seat bolster on the front seats. I also feel that the grain quality of all non-seating leather has gone down.

It's not just the leather either. Things like the plastic being used on the lower B-pillar, the plastic on the window buttons, the lower part of the trunk (it flexes if you push it with your hand!), or even the speaker covers come to mind.

Am I imagining things? This feels closer to the Audis we've had than our past Porsche cars.
I don't have every single option ticked (decent middle of the road: 4S with full interior leather, Bose speakers etc.) but the overall configuration is what I always do with Porsche.

And if not: Is this a Taycan thing? (i.e., they want their margins even with the expensive battery?)
Can anybody confirm whether this is also a thing on the newest 911s and Panamera?
I agree, the interior in my Taycan does not feel as premium as my last 2021 BMW.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
First time Porsche owner: definitely disappointed in the quality of the interior finish. But I’m beginning to understand that it’s a performance brand so that’s where my money is spent
Well, compared to interior of Tesla, IMO, Taycan is luxury, isn’t it?
OTOH, interiror in Mercedes EQS looks superb….but exterior is boring even more, so…
Sponsored