Is Porsche starting to cheapen the interior?

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've noticed a number of things in the Taycan that I feel were substantially better on the 911.

The leather interior seems very optimized to save even the last half inch of leather: there's no leather on the outside of the right driver's seat bolster (and mirrored on the other side), there's no leather in the inner space of the rear armrest (that one bugs me, because that is very visible), the leather stops very early on the front seat bolster on the front seats. I also feel that the grain quality of all non-seating leather has gone down.

It's not just the leather either. Things like the plastic being used on the lower B-pillar, the plastic on the window buttons, the lower part of the trunk (it flexes if you push it with your hand!), or even the speaker covers come to mind.

Am I imagining things? This feels closer to the Audis we've had than our past Porsche cars.
I don't have every single option ticked (decent middle of the road: 4S with full interior leather, Bose speakers etc.) but the overall configuration is what I always do with Porsche.

And if not: Is this a Taycan thing? (i.e., they want their margins even with the expensive battery?)
Can anybody confirm whether this is also a thing on the newest 911s and Panamera?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've noticed a number of things in the Taycan that I feel were substantially better on the 911.

The leather interior seems very optimized to save even the last half inch of leather: there's no leather on the outside of the right driver's seat bolster (and mirrored on the other side), there's no leather in the inner space of the rear armrest (that one bugs me, because that is very visible), the leather stops very early on the front seat bolster on the front seats. I also feel that the grain quality of all non-seating leather has gone down.

It's not just the leather either. Things like the plastic being used on the lower B-pillar, the plastic on the window buttons, the lower part of the trunk (it flexes if you push it with your hand!), or even the speaker covers come to mind.

Am I imagining things? This feels closer to the Audis we've had than our past Porsche cars.
I don't have every single option ticked (decent middle of the road: 4S with full interior leather, Bose speakers etc.) but the overall configuration is what I always do with Porsche.

And if not: Is this a Taycan thing? (i.e., they want their margins even with the expensive battery?)
Can anybody confirm whether this is also a thing on the newest 911s and Panamera?
Panamera interior quality and extended leather is superior IMHO.

Still some plasticky black shiny buttons though.

Deleted member 6348

You're going to see interiors that use lighter materials in EVs.
Leather isn't light. Plus, vegan/fabric interiors are getting more popular due to sustainability.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Front seat bolster material is there because real leather would have a risk of prematurely wearing during potential contact with the center console when moving the seats.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Leather isn't light. Plus, vegan/fabric interiors are getting more popular due to sustainability.
Not sure the amount of interior materials used is "material" to any additional weight concerns.

If that were an issue panoramic roofs, rear cycle carriers, hifi systems with subwoofers and so on would not be offered.

OP
OP
fullmetalbaal

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Front seat bolster material is there because real leather would have a risk of prematurely wearing during potential contact with the center console when moving the seats.
That's what I thought first as well, but then I recall having lots of cars where that part was leather and no issues with wear. And also, wouldn't the external side bolster see a lot more contact with more abrasive materials??

OP
OP
fullmetalbaal

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
They don't have any problem coating almost anything with leather as long as I pay for it. I don't think they are concerned with weight (nevermind that I don't see how those 20g matter when the 18 way chair already has dozens of motors etc)

Reactions: B61

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's what I thought first as well, but then I recall having lots of cars where that part was leather and no issues with wear. And also, wouldn't the external side bolster see a lot more contact with more abrasive materials??
Not abrasives per se, just people getting in and out. If the occupants are careless in ingress/egress than yes the bolsters will wear out faster especially with 18-way seats.

Reactions: B61

Mike991GER

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@fullmetalbaal ordered Olea or basic leather? With Olea there’s more leather-coverage (front seats).

Also there’s an B-pillar racetex option. But yes, the more you want the more you pay. As always in life:)

OP
OP
fullmetalbaal

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not abrasives per se, just people getting in and out. If the occupants are careless in ingress/egress than yes the bolsters will wear out faster especially with 18-way seats.
Yes, and that's true for both sides. It's only the inner bolster that has textile on the outside. I've had at least 4 different cars that had leather there too (911s, M3, e-class), I really doubt this is anything other than cost savings.

OP
OP
fullmetalbaal

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@fullmetalbaal ordered Olea or basic leather? With Olea there’s more leather-coverage (front seats).

Also there’s an B-pillar racetex option. But yes, the more you want the more you pay. As always in life:)
Normal full leather interior. Would be cool to see if this is different for Olea. When I ordered, I checked with the dealer and was told the only difference is the back of the seats.

Can somebody with Olea leather confirm whether the outside of the inner side seat bolster has leather? And the interior sides of the opening that results when you put down the rear armrests?

If this is in fact covered in leather, then they should tell folks more clearly. I would have paid more for that.

As for the B-pillar: Agreed: in hindsight I should have paid extra. That part was plastic in my 911 too, just that it didn't look as cheap (and in that case, I don't need leather or suede for that piece). This is this super shiny cheap-looking plastic. Sigh.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As for the B-pillar: Agreed: in hindsight I should have paid extra. That part was plastic in my 911 too, just that it didn't look as cheap (and in that case, I don't need leather or suede for that piece). This is this super shiny cheap-looking plastic. Sigh.
Can always have an upholstery shop cover them.

OP
OP
fullmetalbaal

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can always have an upholstery shop cover them.
I'm boring. I like to order my cars the way I like it, and expect the manufacturer to deliver.

I don't want to have to upgrade suspension and brakes, I don't want to have to redo the interior.
I want to pay for the privilege of getting the car made correctly from the start.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree, I feel the interior is definitely a bit more plasticky than most other Porsches and the fit and finish isn't as high. I have never had so many rattles! Car spent a week at the dealer and they still can't figure out where it's coming from.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
First time Porsche owner: definitely disappointed in the quality of the interior finish. But I’m beginning to understand that it’s a performance brand so that’s where my money is spent
Sponsored