Is Taycan/ Porsche right choise for me?

victor432

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes EQS
Hi everybody!

Very useful forum you have here.

I'm thinking to purchase a Taycan, but I'm not sure if it's the right choice, so I want briefly explain what I search in a car and hear out your opinions.

First, I'm a Lexus guy, and since I want to drive an EV, I was waiting for the new Lexus EV, rz450e, but the range is way, way too low. So for now I must say goodbye to Lexus and wait until things changes.

Taycan does have every feature that I want, and no other car have at the moment the same combination:
- Range. Especially with the 19" wheels. Powder coating in grey/ black color the aero 19", and they look okay. It is so disappointing that Porsche refuse to make beautiful 19" wheels.
- Real axle steering. I live in Switzerland, and as in almost every European country, we don't have large spaces as in US. This feature helps turn long cars in tight spaces
- Reliability/ build quality. I do not consider brands like Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover etc. because I don't trust them. The way I look at cars in my utopian world, higher price = higher reliability. Porsche is almost good as Lexus in this area. The only exception I could possibly make is for Tesla, justified by efficiency and range, but Tesla lacks a very important feature for me:
- Head up display

The only problem is that I'm driving per year around 40,000 km. I'm not sure if this car is suited for something like this. I've never owned a Porsche, and I'm also not a car guy, so I lack a lot of knowledge. With Lexus, I have peace of mind doing so many kilometers. I have the perception that Porsche/ Taycan is more of a delicate car. I change my car every 4 years, more or less.
What do you think? Is it advisable to buy a Taycan in my situation? In my case, it will be a Taycan 4 cross turismo, price around CHF 130k - 140k with optionals. At the end of the 4th year, I will have around 160k and I would like to sell it. How much do you think I can make, 1/4 of the original price, or even less?
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have had a HUD for 10 years on my BMW and also have on my 4 CT now. It is less important because the dashboard is very close to the HUD. You should try to see it in person. I still like it but is less important as I initially thought.

The range difference between 19 and 20 inch is not really substantial but they look better

how much do you drive a typical day? More than 300 km? If not it should be ok.

rear wheel steering is nice to have.

the 4 CT is a really nice car.

Reactions: B61

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
It's not going to be as comfortable as your Lexus. The Taycan is a sports car not a cruiser. Be prepared to experience a little rougher, but in my opinion more enjoyable, ride than the Lexus even with the 19" wheels.

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
Welcome to the forum - In the end, nobody can answer this questions for you. You should go and test drive, which, as stated above, you will have plenty of time to do, as allocations are sparse. My daily driver is a Lexus LX. This is my seventh Lexus and I would have never dreamt of switching brands. Until I drove a 911. I was sold. Lexus tries everything to isolate you from the road, while porsche tries to achieve the opposite. In terms of reliability, I haven't had any issues with Lexus or Porsche other than regular maintenance.. - hope this helps..

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi everybody!

Very useful forum you have here.

I'm thinking to purchase a Taycan, but I'm not sure if it's the right choice, so I want briefly explain what I search in a car and hear out your opinions.

First, I'm a Lexus guy, and since I want to drive an EV, I was waiting for the new Lexus EV, rz450e, but the range is way, way too low. So for now I must say goodbye to Lexus and wait until things changes.

Taycan does have every feature that I want, and no other car have at the moment the same combination:
- Range. Especially with the 19" wheels. Powder coating in grey/ black color the aero 19", and they look okay. It is so disappointing that Porsche refuse to make beautiful 19" wheels.
- Real axle steering. I live in Switzerland, and as in almost every European country, we don't have large spaces as in US. This feature helps turn long cars in tight spaces
- Reliability/ build quality. I do not consider brands like Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover etc. because I don't trust them. The way I look at cars in my utopian world, higher price = higher reliability. Porsche is almost good as Lexus in this area. The only exception I could possibly make is for Tesla, justified by efficiency and range, but Tesla lacks a very important feature for me:
- Head up display

The only problem is that I'm driving per year around 40,000 km. I'm not sure if this car is suited for something like this. I've never owned a Porsche, and I'm also not a car guy, so I lack a lot of knowledge. With Lexus, I have peace of mind doing so many kilometers. I have the perception that Porsche/ Taycan is more of a delicate car. I change my car every 4 years, more or less.
What do you think? Is it advisable to buy a Taycan in my situation? In my case, it will be a Taycan 4 cross turismo, price around CHF 130k - 140k with optionals. At the end of the 4th year, I will have around 160k and I would like to sell it. How much do you think I can make, 1/4 of the original price, or even less?
40KM per year is a lot. For that kind of driving, you would probably be better of with an ICE cruiser instead of an EV. Charging likely to be an issue with that many KMs and the focus will likely be on relaxing instead of driving. My recommendation is to get another luxury ICE cruiser.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
The EPA range for the Lexus is very similar to that of the Taycan line. If you want an EV SUV with long range, rear axle steering and heads-up augmented reality displays, have a look at the Mercedes EQS-SUV, I guarantee that the build quality will be at least as good as any Tesla. (BTW, I think you are only the second person on the planet -- Elon Musk was the first -- to rank Tesla ahead of MB in terms of build quality.;)) But seriously, test drive some Taycan CTs, you just might discover that there is more to life than a couple miles of extra range.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Do you own a second vehicle? I'm not sure I'd ever personally recommend a Taycan to anyone who drives it exclusively 40000 km/yr.

It's a car for someone who wants to be involved in the drive. It's very low so you'll always watch for road hazards and transitions that will damage the car.

Don't get me wrong, it handles beautifully. You point it and it does exactly what you want. You just have to be more attentive almost all the time. Mine is always scowling at me because I'm not in the center of the lane or my hands are not on the proper spot on the wheel. If I'm tired or just not that into driving, that can get annoying.

Snow sounds like a nightmare in a Taycan unless the roads are impeccably cleared.

It's comfortable, especially with massage seats, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as my Land Rover on an hour+ drive. You're definitely sitting "in" the car. Getting out sometimes feels like I slept on a mattress that needs to be replaced.

If your definition of "reliable" includes maintenance costs, you should consider that you'll probably have to replace your tires once or possibly twice yearly in a Taycan with the kilometers you'll put on it. You might want to get the price for a new set in advance.

Further, there is no spare so getting a flat is an ordeal that often involves a tow truck. Does that still sound "reliable"?

On the other hand, that Lexus looks like a typical dull Toyota utility box. Has a strong vibe of a cheap version of a Rav4. I can understand crossing that off the list.

I love my Taycan... for what it is. I would just never want to have to drive it that much.

Just an opinion, others will have their own. Good luck.

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As others said: 40k/year is a lot for an EV...with battery range of about 350km.
I own CT4, and I'm doing about 20kkm per year, most of that is daily commuting (and I can charge at work @22kwh).
My longest business trip would would over 400km (one way), but I've never been there since covid19 started.

Anyway: EQS-SUV would probably be better for my needs, but Taycan is the most beautiful one :clap:

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
The mileage per year is what we should talk about.

1. EVs are very well suited for constant use & charging cycles
2. The battery warranty keeps you safe here
3. charging: will you have enough options to charge on the routes you will be traveling?
4. charging: can you charge over night on trips - this would actually be best
5. reselling price: nobody can safely say with EVs. At the moment: excellent!

Otherwise, the car's brilliant. I am very happy and like it a lot.

OP
OP

victor432

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes EQS
Thanks everybody for your opinions!

I apologize for some grammar mistakes ;)

I have had a HUD for 10 years on my BMW and also have on my 4 CT now. It is less important because the dashboard is very close to the HUD. You should try to see it in person. I still like it but is less important as I initially thought.

The range difference between 19 and 20 inch is not really substantial but they look better

how much do you drive a typical day? More than 300 km? If not it should be ok.

rear wheel steering is nice to have.

the 4 CT is a really nice car.
20" wheels looks better, I agree, but on bjorn channel the 19" wheels perform much better because they are more narrow.

I drive once per week 500 km, and other 500 km are spread between 3-4 days.

It's not going to be as comfortable as your Lexus. The Taycan is a sports car not a cruiser. Be prepared to experience a little rougher, but in my opinion more enjoyable, ride than the Lexus even with the 19" wheels.
You made me realize that I'm a cruiser driver. I drive very safely, and I just want comfort. As you said, my Lexus is more comfortable, but I guess the taycan with air suspension it is pleasant to drive as well.

Welcome to the forum - In the end, nobody can answer this questions for you. You should go and test drive, which, as stated above, you will have plenty of time to do, as allocations are sparse. My daily driver is a Lexus LX. This is my seventh Lexus and I would have never dreamt of switching brands. Until I drove a 911. I was sold. Lexus tries everything to isolate you from the road, while porsche tries to achieve the opposite. In terms of reliability, I haven't had any issues with Lexus or Porsche other than regular maintenance.. - hope this helps..
Sure it helps, thanks for the feedback. These 2 brands are indeed reliable

40KM per year is a lot. For that kind of driving, you would probably be better of with an ICE cruiser instead of an EV. Charging likely to be an issue with that many KMs and the focus will likely be on relaxing instead of driving. My recommendation is to get another luxury ICE cruiser.
Charging actually is not a problem, I will be doing one busy day of driving per week, and others are more chill. Anyway a luxury Ice cruiser is a good option for now for sure, but my hunger for EV is big :D

The EPA range for the Lexus is very similar to that of the Taycan line. If you want an EV SUV with long range, rear axle steering and heads-up augmented reality displays, have a look at the Mercedes EQS-SUV, I guarantee that the build quality will be at least as good as any Tesla. (BTW, I think you are only the second person on the planet -- Elon Musk was the first -- to rank Tesla ahead of MB in terms of build quality.;)) But seriously, test drive some Taycan CTs, you just might discover that there is more to life than a couple miles of extra range.

I wasn't clear enough about tesla reliability. I wanted to say that I consider only reliable brands like Lexus or Porsche, but the only exception that I could make is for Tesla, not very reliable brand, because of the efficiency.
By mentioning EQS SUV, you have awaked my forgotten love for the Mercedes EQ line-up, not for the aesthetics, but for the interior and ride quality. EQS it is superb. I have excluded the Mercedes brand because I was told and convinced that I'll be driving the loaner vehicle more than mine, due to continuous problems. This kind of scenario it is so bad for someone like me that I instantly excluded Germans brand cars from my list, exception being made for Porsche. Now, is it truly so unreliable, the Mercedes brand? I had a friend with a Range Rover, and it was quite often at the repair shop. I actually would like to purchase a car like EQS SUV, I like SUV's and the range is amazing, the interior is very appealing to me, a bit too flashy but still amazing. I just don't want a scenario where I spend CHF 150k on a car, and then it is away for weeks multiple times. What are your thoughts?

Do you own a second vehicle? I'm not sure I'd ever personally recommend a Taycan to anyone who drives it exclusively 40000 km/yr.

It's a car for someone who wants to be involved in the drive. It's very low so you'll always watch for road hazards and transitions that will damage the car.

Don't get me wrong, it handles beautifully. You point it and it does exactly what you want. You just have to be more attentive almost all the time. Mine is always scowling at me because I'm not in the center of the lane or my hands are not on the proper spot on the wheel. If I'm tired or just not that into driving, that can get annoying.

Snow sounds like a nightmare in a Taycan unless the roads are impeccably cleared.

It's comfortable, especially with massage seats, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as my Land Rover on an hour+ drive. You're definitely sitting "in" the car. Getting out sometimes feels like I slept on a mattress that needs to be replaced.

If your definition of "reliable" includes maintenance costs, you should consider that you'll probably have to replace your tires once or possibly twice yearly in a Taycan with the kilometers you'll put on it. You might want to get the price for a new set in advance.

Further, there is no spare so getting a flat is an ordeal that often involves a tow truck. Does that still sound "reliable"?

On the other hand, that Lexus looks like a typical dull Toyota utility box. Has a strong vibe of a cheap version of a Rav4. I can understand crossing that off the list.

I love my Taycan... for what it is. I would just never want to have to drive it that much.

Just an opinion, others will have their own. Good luck.

Maybe a Macan EV suits me more, but since it not yer available, I was thinking of 4 cross turismo because of the higher ground clearance and more practicality.

For me, the definition of reliability is that it is not weeks away due to some kind of problems. The maintenance costs it is not an issue. The important thing is that I can drive my own car instead of a loaner car

As others said: 40k/year is a lot for an EV...with battery range of about 350km.
I own CT4, and I'm doing about 20kkm per year, most of that is daily commuting (and I can charge at work @22kwh).
My longest business trip would would over 400km (one way), but I've never been there since covid19 started.

Anyway: EQS-SUV would probably be better for my needs, but Taycan is the most beautiful one :clap:

Taycan's design, it's superb!

The waiting list is over a year so you have plenty of time to test drive.
That's right

The mileage per year is what we should talk about.

1. EVs are very well suited for constant use & charging cycles
2. The battery warranty keeps you safe here
3. charging: will you have enough options to charge on the routes you will be traveling?
4. charging: can you charge over night on trips - this would actually be best
5. reselling price: nobody can safely say with EVs. At the moment: excellent!

Otherwise, the car's brilliant. I am very happy and like it a lot.
No charging problems at all.
Have fun with your Taycan! ;)

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
The only problem is that I'm driving per year around 40,000 km.
I drive once per week 500 km
As with any EV, you need to make sure you can charge somewhere convenient within the once per week 500km trip. You won't be able to make this on one charge, so my recommendation would be to use A Better Route Planner:
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/classic/
and enter your starting and ending address to see where you can charge along this trip.

In regard to comfort, unless you're driving on the German autobahn (where you could cruise at 180km/hr+) you'll be in the car for maybe 3 to 4 hours on the 500km trip. The Taycan is a sports car not a cruiser so it might not be as comfortable as your Lexus. The Taycan is comfortable on longer trips (I make a 1-1/2 hr trip weekly) and you can check out the comfort at your local Porsche dealer.

I happen to like the Taycan's adaptive cruise control. Even though its not as good as a Tesla auto-steer (which has its own problems since its not 100% reliable), it works well enough that I use this for 90% of my long range trips. Its very relaxing to be able to remove your foot from the pedal and momentarily remove your hands from the steering wheel.
Sponsored