Is The Optional $1850 Head-Up Display Worth It On The Porsche Taycan?! What Features Does It Add?! - Pcarwhisperer

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice overview of HUD from Mason.

Is The Optional $1850 Head-Up Display Worth It On The Porsche Taycan?! What Features Does It Add?!
Pcarwhisperer

Sponsored

Ice

First Name
Ice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In my opinion, not so useful. I've had it in all my recent cars dating back for 6-7 years and seldom look at it. The instrument cluster in the Taycan already sits very high and in front of you with all the relevant visual information. Maybe someone has another aspect...

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My experience with HUD's is they make nav a bit easier, but otherwise add no value. In some cases you can't see wearing polarized sunglasses, and I never really liked having all that text in my field of view if I wasn't navigating, so I would definitely pass.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I really like it on mine. This is the first car I have had with it though - could be the newness factor driving my perception. The HUD allows me to have to power meter and compass while keeping the dash for the background map. I can still see it with my sunglasses - it is dimmer but I can see it.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I had a HUD on my M3 and it was nice for showing the tach and the shift lights, but I’m not sure I see anything on the Taycan that’s necessary or extremely helpful. Maybe it looks better in person.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I have it on both of my cars now and don’t plan on getting it in my 4S. I find it rather superfluous especially since I use CarPlay for my navigation. If the HUD had the ability to display the CarPlay functions it would likely be a harder decision.

Botox

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Cayenne TGT, 20 Taycan TurboS, 22 M5c
Country flag
On the Taycan probably not that useful as the seating position is low, and with the map setting for the center portion on the instrument cluster the speedo is very high. HUD is useful if seating is high and there is a large distance between the HUD and the gauges. Taycan it is so close with the awesome seating position.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
My wife's e-Tron is the first car I've ever owned with a HUD (it was included in the Prestige package)and I find it more useful than I thought I would.

That said, IMO it isn't $1850 worth of usefulness and it pretty much disappears when wearing polarized sunglasses. I passed on the HUD when ordering my Taycan.

Ajes

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Highl. Hybrid, Civic HB, Taycan 4s order
Country flag
I got it as part of the technology package in the US. I wanted ACC and I got the active parking support to hopefully get the extra camera views that were removed from the surround view. These 2 options came out to $3.3K if purchased individually.

if you are getting the premium package the cost of the technology package is $4k. It is like getting the HUD and passenger display for an extra $700. That seemed worth it. Individually I wouldn't have got it.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had looked into this previously when speccing my car - and having read comments on here decided it wasn't really worth getting on a Taycan because of the dash location/layout.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have it, its a great gimmick just like passenger display, although I would always get them.

Things like rear wheel steering or surround camera are super useful

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
since I always wear polarized sun glasses and the HUD isn't visible with those glasses on the feature would have been foolish for me to order.
I had a BMW with it and it didn't really add much to the driving experience. one thing I did like was the nav arrows would show up on the HUD.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Honestly I could take it or leave it, the only thing I’d like to have in front of my face is the speed I’m traveling for obvious reasons. But I’m not willing to trade off the free-floating driver instrument cluster just to have it. To my eyes the hood really damages to clean shape of the dash.
Sponsored