Is The Optional $1850 Head-Up Display Worth It On The Porsche Taycan?! What Features Does It Add?! - Pcarwhisperer

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nice overview of HUD from Mason.

Is The Optional $1850 Head-Up Display Worth It On The Porsche Taycan?! What Features Does It Add?!
Pcarwhisperer

100% Fantastic when you are driving a car on winding roads here in the Uk all the information you need it right in front without having to look at the dash. Mind you if you are 5 ft in height and drive like miss Daisy then maybe not but for me 6ft 2 and like to drive it’s the perfect option
Sponsored

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I've wanted a HUD ever since I learned it was a thing, and despite having gone through a couple cars since then, I never got it. Either bought a car off the lot that didn't have it, or decided to put the money into different options instead.

Since this is basically my YOLO car, this time I'm getting it. Maybe it's useless, maybe I'll hate it, but I know that if I didn't order it I would regret it.

I will say that the steering wheel on the Taycan blocked the top quarter of the "dials" on my test drives. My current car with analog dials has the same problem, and it means I can't see how fast I'm going on the highway without ducking or leaning to the side. On the Taycan, I don't lose any essential information because I can still see the digital speedo display, and nobody needs to see the power meter. But it is still an actual functional difference.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it on both of my cars now and don’t plan on getting it in my 4S. I find it rather superfluous especially since I use CarPlay for my navigation. If the HUD had the ability to display the CarPlay functions it would likely be a harder decision.
Totally agree.

My wife's X5 had HUD and it's fantastic. It works with CarPlay so you can see the navigation arrows and distance, select music, receive alerts, etc. BMW nailed it.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I got it as part of the technology package in the US. I wanted ACC and I got the active parking support to hopefully get the extra camera views that were removed from the surround view. These 2 options came out to $3.3K if purchased individually.

if you are getting the premium package the cost of the technology package is $4k. It is like getting the HUD and passenger display for an extra $700. That seemed worth it. Individually I wouldn't have got it.
The tech package became an option a few weeks after my config locked. It would have saved me some $$. Annoying.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
The tech package became an option a few weeks after my config locked. It would have saved me some $$. Annoying.
Ditto.

But so it goes, First World problems. Still, I love the car exactly as I spec'd it.

Last edited:

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I've wanted a HUD ever since I learned it was a thing...
Ditto, I worked as an aerospace systems engineer on cockpit systems, so I geek out on things like this.
Since this is basically my YOLO car, this time I'm getting it. Maybe it's useless, maybe I'll hate it, but I know that if I didn't order it I would regret it.
You'll love it.
I will say that the steering wheel on the Taycan blocked the top quarter of the "dials" on my test drives... it is still an actual functional difference.
I always thought a HUD would offer a huge practical advantage for drivers. After experiencing it as an owner for a while, it's true.

BTW, why can't Porsche figure out how to put the instrument cluster where you can see all of it?

Last edited:

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it, its a great gimmick just like passenger display, although I would always get them.

Things like rear wheel steering or surround camera are super useful
Rear Axle Steering is the only option that I wish my Taycan had. I bought my Taycan CPO and it had every option that I wanted except RAS ?

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
BTW, why can't Porsche figure out how to put the instrument cluster where you can see all of it?
My assumption has always been that they design for the "normal" person, whereas I am an un-gorilla (short arms and legs, long torso).

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If you're worried about the extras, the tax on the thing is going to kill you!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If you're worried about the extras, the tax on the thing is going to kill you!
I wish people would stop suggesting that the options are cheap compared to...whatever they feel like comparing them to at the time.

Individually...no, not a problem. But it turns out they add all of the options up and charge you the total sum at the end! Crazy, right?

I can spec a RWD to $195k ($115k in options).

And sales tax on that would only be $15k (where I live).

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
I bought my car off the lot, so it was already optioned. That being said, I wouldn't spec it.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
100% Fantastic when you are driving a car on winding roads here in the Uk all the information you need it right in front without having to look at the dash. Mind you if you are 5 ft in height and drive like miss Daisy then maybe not but for me 6ft 2 and like to drive it’s the perfect option
I'd just be curious to know what 'information' you need to have continuously displayed for you while driving winding roads? When I'm driving in a 'spirited' manner, a HUD is the last thing I would want. Just a continuous bunch of crap switching values and colors on my windshield that distracts me from what I should really be paying attention to. Don't see them using HUD in F1 or any race cars - wonder why??

Last edited:

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd just be curious to know what 'information' you need to have continuously displayed for you while driving winding roads? When I'm driving in a 'spirited' manner, a HUD is the last thing I would want. Just a continuous bunch of crap switching values and colors on my windshield that distracts me from what I should really be paying attention to. Don't see them using HUD in F1 or any race cars - wonder why??
Speed limits change in the Uk so ideal to keep check as I have never seen speed limits on race tracks

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Speed limits change in the Uk so ideal to keep check as I have never seen speed limits on race tracks
If you’re driving hard enough that you can’t glance at the dash for the speed limit, I’m not sure you’re paying attention to it anyway...?

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you’re driving hard enough that you can’t glance at the dash for the speed limit, I’m not sure you’re paying attention to it anyway...?
??
Sponsored