ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Review with several fair points, disregard his range statements. Look at Bjørn Nyland's spreadsheet and see the range diff is less than 5% with a Model S Raven LR.

Is the Porsche Taycan Competing With Tesla?
Undecided with Matt Ferrell
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
NO - there is no need - Tesla has it's own market - and it's own way of doing things. Porsche is playing it's game - at volumes that are a bad production month for Tesla…

now VW - that's another story.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
"everyone including Porsche was comparing it to the Tesla Model S"

I don't remember that or comparison tables or anything except maybe a mention if they were asked.

and then later he admits that Porsche knows their target market and what they want (e.g. don't want the minimalist design of the Tesla and want a different driving experience)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
NO - there is no need - Tesla has it's own market - and it's own way of doing things. Porsche is playing it's game - at volumes that are a bad production month for Tesla…

now VW - that's another story.
I know that the volumes are low, but the margin is probably not Dave. :giggle:

At the start of the video he said that the two cars were for different audiences. Though I agree that the Porsche has a more limited audience, it's obvious from the forum that there is a significant overlap in folks interested in EV solutions from both brands. I was only pointing out the mileage thing because that was the most blatant error I found in the video.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm deeply aware of Porsche's margin's - being one of (if not the) most profitable vehicle makers on the planet - I still think mostly Porsche doesn't care other than making sure they are not blatantly worse than Tesla on any particular metric.

After that they've got their core audience…and they only need make them happy.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm deeply aware of Porsche's margin's - being one of (if not the) most profitable vehicle makers on the planet - I still think mostly Porsche doesn't care other than making sure they are not blatantly worse than Tesla on any particular metric.

After that they've got their core audience…and they only need make them happy.
But about 50% of Taycan interest is from people new to the brand, so I think it's a bit unfair to say that they only focus on "their core audience".
That being said I agree the user interface is poor and their mobile apps atrocious. I hope they will spend a little money toward that effort. Software developers abound, seems a solvable problem if they get decent architects.

Re profits: https://www.worth.com/why-porsche-is-the-worlds-most-profitable-mass-market-luxury-auto-brand/

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And most the new folks will be gone when some new shiny EV comes along, because they were more interested in EVs than Porsches, as this forum is a strong demonstration of.

The Macan EV will be more of a mass-market brand ambassador than a luxury sedan will be. Look at the sales number differences in the US between the Macan+Cayenne and the 911 and then compare that to EU, where the numbers weren't that much different.

The Taycan is currently benefitting from Model S owners looking for something better, but many other cheaper cars will fill that role in the future.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
The Taycan is currently benefitting from Model S owners looking for something better, but many other cheaper cars will fill that role in the future.
Think this is very true. Although I always wanted a Porsche, when car shopping I entertained a new Model S vs a variety of different Porsche models, and crossed off the Model S because there wasn't enough new or different from my current S to make the jump.

I was originally looking at higher trim Boxsters or Cayman models when the dealer told me to take a 4S he had for a spin. The rest is history.

I wouldn't doubt if you see Taycan sales take a hit in a year Tesla updates the S. The Taycan is unique in that you are getting EV customers and porsche buyers under a single roof.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Think this is very true. Although I always wanted a Porsche, when car shopping I entertained a new Model S vs a variety of different Porsche models, and crossed off the Model S because there wasn't enough new or different from my current S to make the jump.

I was originally looking at higher trim Boxsters or Cayman models when the dealer told me to take a 4S he had for a spin. The rest is history.

I wouldn't doubt if you see Taycan sales take a hit in a year Tesla updates the S. The Taycan is unique in that you are getting EV customers and porsche buyers under a single roof.
There are still very few "EV customers" in the US but at this point, we're still talking about very small numbers so obviously there are some. The EU is a different story because governments are forcing customers into EVs whether they like it or not & all of the numbers are bigger.

Many people said these same things about the Macan (new customers won't like X about Porsche & will be gone soon) and it hasn't worked out that way. Porsche has a way of sucking you in. Based on the numbers I've seen for the US, the Taycan is primarily cannibalizing the Panamera & taking some share from upper trim BMW 5-series, Audi A7/S7, etc. Might be good to do a thread on "Your Taycan replaced X?"

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I thought this was a decent review until the end when he compared ranges and threw up Bjorn's range test results. Which fully contradicted his voiceover where he stated the Tesla was a long way ahead.

And he did it twice :)

ATLTaycan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I thought this was a decent review until the end when he compared ranges and threw up Bjorn's range test results. Which fully contradicted his voiceover where he stated the Tesla was a long way ahead.

And he did it twice :)
As a Tesla owner for the last 6 years, I highly agree. He tried to make it sound like the 400 mile MS actually gets 400 miles, while the Taycan 4S gets an actual 260 or better if driven in range mode. What he didn't mention is how a big battery Taycan still charges at 90-100kW at 85-90% battery. I experienced this a few days ago when we drove my brothers 4S from Atlanta to Columbus, OH. Even a LR Model 3 on a V3 supercharger won't maintain half of that kW at the same SOC.

Our total charging time was the same as a LR3 would be on the same trip according to ABRP.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Elon just announced big price cut to $69k on model s.... new batt tech making an impact or reacting to market conditions?
Lots of factors I think.

Probably part of the push to deliver 500k cars this year. Pissing contest/Competition with Lucid. Wanting to dump existing stock. Possible refresh coming.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
This is my first Porsche. I love the way it looks and drives, I hate the Connect app - mainly because it is not working for me with no solution in sight. My lease expires in 3 years, so far top of my list are the S-class EV vs. BMW vs. refreshed model S; Lucid and Karma may be contenders, but would like to see hands on experience . As others pointed out, there are several cross-shoppers, mainly people interested in luxury sedans with EV drivetrain.
Sponsored