Is the Taycan quieter than the Boxster, for road noise especially?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am lucky to have a dedicated room, I know.

I am a music lover and have many thousands of recordings most of which are stereo so I have not bothered to invest the same sort of money in multi channel I did in stereo. I just have 3 additional pro monitors to make a 5.1 system (I have a Marantz processor for this too but just use it for films and TV).

My amps are Devialet Original d’Atelier or Goldmund and my speakers Goldmund Epilogs or Tune Audio Anima horns - depending on what I am feeling like!
The Goldmund is most accurate so best in principle but the horns are 109dB/watt and very dynamic :)
Wow!

That is some set up!. Surprised to hear that you do not drive the horns by a tube amplifier though.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Wow!

That is some set up!. Surprised to hear that you do not drive the horns by a tube amplifier though.
I do have a valve amp and sometimes use it :)
The problem with 109dB/watt speakers can be finding a valve amp quiet enough though. A lot of valve amps have a few milliwatts of noise.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
i think road noise is the weakest spot of the Taycan. My Jag I-pace is far more quiet Than the Taycan. And the Jag is not great at road noise either
What wheels do you have on your Taycan.
I found the 20 inch wheels with Pirelli tyres to be much quieter than the 21 inch. The 21 inch on type concrete roads on the west coast of Sweden were extremely noisy.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
20” Michelin sport 4S. It’s not the tyres it’s definitely poor insulation.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
This is what stuck out to me in the 3 hours or so I've had behind the wheel of Taycans.

A Boxster is a loud car in general. Tons of road noise, tons of wind noise, tons of engine noise. Any sedan is quieter.
you are right. However it’s disappointing the noise insulation is similar to a 30k pounds Vw Golf.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Taycan has really wide tires that's why you get more noise. Get an EQS/I7 if you want minimum of road noise.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
20” Michelin sport 4S. It’s not the tyres it’s definitely poor insulation.
There is a big difference in cabin noise in my Taycan between the 20" winter tyres and the 21" summer tyres.
What makes you belive it is not the tyres? Have you tried many different ones?

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I believe you. If 20” it’s noisy, 21” must be worse.

Taycan has really wide tires that's why you get more noise. Get an EQS/I7 if you want minimum of road noise.
My I-Pace running 275/40 and it’s not noisy as the Taycan is.

In general, it’s acceptable the level of tyre noise. A lot more noticeable when you jump off the Jag and get into the Taycan.

Aluminum chassis and battery pack right underneath definitely doesn’t help to reduce resonance. And of course no engine noise makes tyres noise stand out in all the EV except Mercedes. That ugly EQS has no tyre noise. Cabin Comfort wise, possibly the best Ev around.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Just a thought about the laminated glass: I am not sure it has as much effect as often ascribed to it. Noise that is in the air outside the car will be dampened by it, yes. But it does not make any difference to noise coming through the body from wheels or whatever. I had test drives with both variants, felt not a lot of difference for road noise (there is some) and did not spec it.
Agree.
"This reduces outside(!) noise by up to 7.3 per cent in a frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz."
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-insulated-glass-christophorus-401-26834.html

Last edited:

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I didn’t read all previous messages but I have a CT4S 23 with the thermally and noise insulated glasses because I wanted a quiet car. I have also Bose audio and the 21Rims with Pirelli tire. In all honesty the car is quiet, I can listen to music now on the Highway BUT it depends really on the road surface. Some part of my commute are with a different road surface and the tires make a lot of noises.
So, yes it will be quieter but maybe you should consider smaller rims to avoid unnecessary noise.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have just changed to summer wheels (21" Goodyear Eagle F1 on Mission E) from 20" winter wheels (Nokian Hakkapellitta R) that are also 20mm narrower. I have not measured, but I feel the road noise is more noticeable with the summer tires. More precise to drive with, a bit less comfort, more noise. But I don't mind that extra noise really, it is still acceptable. A good exercise: have the music on for a while, then turn it off, and note the "silence".

I also ponder whether Porsche should have added some more insulation to the car, to make it even quieter. But to me the level they have chosen is fine. More insulation would also have meant more weight.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My I-Pace running 275/40 and it’s not noisy as the Taycan is.
The 21's on Taycan are 305/30 so its big difference if you compare with that. Also Taycan runs on performance tires which are noisier than touring ones.

I also ponder whether Porsche should have added some more insulation to the car, to make it even quieter. But to me the level they have chosen is fine. More insulation would also have meant more weight.
More insulation is not that heavy but Taycan is not build like a luxury limo with thick carpets and non-reclineable rear seats. Its wide low profile tires doesn't help reducing road noise.

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Agree with other comments, if you want quiet, don't get 21" wheels. You may even just go with 19" which would be the quietest. I have 21" and they loud on some surfaces.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
I have a rwd with 20” wheels on summer Michelins and sound deadening glass. It is really quiet on a smooth road. I mean really quiet. 90 mph is freakishly smooth. Oh I have air suspension too.

I think the road noise is due to the stiff bushings needed to have decent handling. And the high pressure needed in the tires to manage the weight.

I also came from a boxster. On our mix of roads here in so cal, the Taycan is infinitely quieter. Even with the road noise.
Sponsored