Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating?

Joe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, I have a Taycan 4S with the performance battery plus (93.4kwh) and 21” wheels. I noticed that all vloggers and car reviewers claim that the Taycan 4S is doing >270miles compared to 220 miles reported by EPA. I’ve had the car for 14 months now and I seem to average at about 200-210 miles on a full battery. 60-70% of my driving is in the city at generally lower speed. Interested to hear what kind of range you’re observing in the day to day usage of your Taycans. Thanks
Sponsored

Ll312

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, S7, Q8
Country flag
Rwd with the standard battery here. 7000 miles on the car, was exceeding epa range regularly with 250 miles on 21” wheels when it was warm. Now in the cold getting around 200 miles on 20” wheels (winter tires)

OP
OP

Joe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Rwd with the standard battery here. 7000 miles on the car, was exceeding epa range regularly with 250 miles on 21” wheels when it was warm. Now in the cold getting around 200 miles on 20” wheels (winter tires)
Thanks. My PCM shows that I’m doing >270miles as well on a charge based on almost 5000miles total - see photos. These numbers however are completely unreliable as I know that I am nowhere close to that range, with the battery depleting from 85 to 10% every 150-160miles…. I wonder if you’re monitoring independently your range or whether you’re reading off consumption from the PCM? Thanks

Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? D9FC3264-229C-46E8-91E2-132564CA4DA7

Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 9BE9AC11-E920-4F7B-87A7-B172D54818ED

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My PCM shows that I’m doing >270miles as well on a charge based on almost 5000miles total - see photos. These numbers however are completely unreliable as I know that I am nowhere close to that range, with the battery depleting from 85 to 10% every 150-160miles….
The range display immediately after a charge is a guess since the cars computer doesn’t know how fast you’ll be driving, what the temperature will be, whether you’ll be using heat, etc. All of these impact range since they either reduce efficiency or use electric power.

After you’ve driven maybe 50 miles, the range display should be more accurate since the cars computer factors in “actual” versus “estimated” efficiency.

The charge display is accurate (like the fuel level display in a gas powered car) so I use that to figure on my real range. I’ve been driving an EV for about 5 years and I do a mental calculation of real range by using miles driven and percentage charge used. Example: the odometer shows I’ve driven 110 miles since my last charge. I started out at 80%. I’m now at 40% so I’ve used half my charge. I can travel another 110 miles until 0 charge left.

Or give your brain a break and let the car do it, remembering it’s just a guess.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
currently my guess o meter shows 170 miles of range @ 80% SOC
after a recent road trip it seems to have reset to this lower level of SOC.
should I be concerned about the loss of indicated range?
could it be pointing to some bad battery modules?
cool temps are not much of an issue as this started before it got cool here, temps down to the 50's

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo S with giant tires was easily averaging around 250-270 miles when I was not out full on thrashing the throttle to message my organs. So yes the EPA rating for the Taycan is insanely low. Which is amusing considering how OVERSTATED the EPA rating for Teslas are. So obviously something need to be fixed. And like others said I was driving in normal but not crazy with AC/heat set to comfortable.

I did a longer drive once in range in the summer and by the time I got back I would have been just shy of 300 miles total range. And that was in 65 mph driving roads mostly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The range display immediately after a charge is a guess since the cars computer doesn’t know how fast you’ll be driving, what the temperature will be, whether you’ll be using heat, etc. All of these impact range since they either reduce efficiency or use electric power.

After you’ve driven maybe 50 miles, the range display should be more accurate since the cars computer factors in “actual” versus “estimated” efficiency.

The charge display is accurate (like the fuel level display in a gas powered car) so I use that to figure on my real range. I’ve been driving an EV for about 5 years and I do a mental calculation of real range by using miles driven and percentage charge used. Example: the odometer shows I’ve driven 110 miles since my last charge. I started out at 80%. I’m now at 40% so I’ve used half my charge. I can travel another 110 miles until 0 charge left.

Or give your brain a break and let the car do it, remembering it’s just a guess.
I largely agree but when using the Sat NAV the accuracy of SOC predicted at the end of journey is right on the money assuming you keep to the speed limits etc. One piece of useful tech that actually works well on the Taycan and in particular when used in conjunction with the PIRM.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yes I'm exceeding EPA estimate. 250-280 range with large battery. Added being in a year-round warm climate.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
It bothers me that many insist on range as a measure of efficiency for BEVs. We don't measure ICE cars efficiency in range, we use MPG. KWH/100mi, MPGe, KWH/mi, etc are measures of efficiency.

The fuel economy portion of my Taycan's window sticker is below.

Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 1637070820908

Over 6500 miles, my actual average consumption is 29.8 kWh/100mi, or 113 MPGe. Far exceeding the 49 kWh/100mi and 69 MPGe on the sicker.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
This thread gives me high hopes for my car when it arrives. I live in an area that seldom gets very cold, even in the winter. Not that range was actually a consideration for me, but it was nice to see virtually all of the road tests confirming that the Taycan regularly exceeded EPA estimates versus the Teslas that almost invariably seem to underperform their EPA estimates.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
4S with PBP but 20" wheels. When I got into the car this morning, it was predicting 202 miles left at 81% SoC (~253 miles total). Siri says it's 37F outside, but the puddles were frozen, so it was probably colder. After completing my 58-mile mixed city/highway drive, the car was estimating 145 miles range at 58% SoC (~250 miles total). Or, viewed another way, I used 23% SoC to go 58 miles, which translates to a total range of ~252 miles.

All-season tires, by the way. I get my winters on next week and expect to take a range hit. I expect another hit once it actually gets cold.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
4S with PBP but 20" wheels. When I got into the car this morning, it was predicting 202 miles left at 81% SoC (~253 miles total). Siri says it's 37F outside, but the puddles were frozen, so it was probably colder. After completing my 58-mile mixed city/highway drive, the car was estimating 145 miles range at 58% SoC (~250 miles total). Or, viewed another way, I used 23% SoC to go 58 miles, which translates to a total range of ~252 miles.

All-season tires, by the way. I get my winters on next week and expect to take a range hit. I expect another hit once it actually gets cold.
Gets cold? 37 is cold!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To clarify an important misunderstanding.

Max range is the distance you can travel at one time, ie.. with no or minor stops. This is always going to be higher than cumulative range, ie.. driving to work and back 5 times a week.

The process of starting the car after it has been sitting for a length of time consumes an inordinate amount of battery. This is most easily demonstrated by watching how high your consumption efficiency starts and how it drops the further you drive.

So in summer I consistently get 270-280 miles of max range at highway speeds but 200-220 miles of cumulative driving range. In winter 220-230 and 140-170 respectively.

This is why many "tests" you see are flawed. The only reliable test for max range is charging to 100% and driving it to below 5%. Any other testing method is measuring something else.

OP
OP

Joe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To clarify an important misunderstanding.

Max range is the distance you can travel at one time, ie.. with no or minor stops. This is always going to be higher than cumulative range, ie.. driving to work and back 5 times a week.

The process of starting the car after it has been sitting for a length of time consumes an inordinate amount of battery. This is most easily demonstrated by watching how high your consumption efficiency starts and how it drops the further you drive.

So in summer I consistently get 270-280 miles of max range at highway speeds but 200-220 miles of cumulative driving range. In winter 220-230 and 140-170 respectively.

This is why many "tests" you see are flawed. The only reliable test for max range is charging to 100% and driving it to below 5%. Any other testing method is measuring something else.
This is an excellent point and it likely explains the low values I quoted at the beginning of the thread. I mostly drive 3-5 miles a day, and most of the times go for about 2 weeks without charging. That being said, I struggle to understand the logic; why would frequent stopping and starting the motor drain the battery. I’ll look it up and probably target a long trip on one go to see if I get a materially different range. Thanks!
Sponsored