Is there an answer to preheating challenge?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
There are bound to be answers to my issue on the Forum, but I can't find them.
I want to use an Ionity 350 kW charger on a trip.
Previously I have only been able to get 100 kW and think this could be related to having a relatively cold battery pack.
I have tried running in Sport Plus, but temp seems little affected (and my familydon't like the ride!).
I have also tried using the Porsche navigation, but it ignores the charger and takes me to one close by, but much slower (amazing as VW are an Inonity partner).
Is there anything I can do to increase the battery temperature before a mid trip charge?
Sponsored

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Previously I have only been able to get 100 kW and think this could be related to having a relatively cold battery pack.
I have tried running in Sport Plus, but temp seems little affected (and my familydon't like the ride!).
I have also tried using the Porsche navigation, but it ignores the charger and takes me to one close by, but much slower (amazing as VW are an Inonity partner).
Is there anything I can do to increase the battery temperature before a mid trip charge?
There are many experts here. Just adding my experience from last Monday Ionity charging:
It heavily depends on SoC (State of Charge) as well. With a battery temperature of 38 C (100 Fahrenheit) and a SoC of 55% the inflow was, for some very short seconds, at 225 kW/h and after that did not get any better than something like 100 kW/h.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Would also like to know this. I am going to Sheffield next week for a few days. The Porsche Centre there have the 350kW chargers however they are not on the Porsche Charging Service app.

Be nice to get there and charge at the highest kW as possible. They state on their website:

"Our new super charging station will allow us to charge the New Porsche Taycan to 80% charge in 20 minutes!". Assume that is in the right conditions.

Edit: found the 350kW charger on the Porsche Charging Service app. Now just need to know how to put the car in its best condition to charge at max rate.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Did you use your PIRM and NAV to select this as a destination / stopover - if so this will automatically pre-condition your battery for arrival as it recognises it as a charger?

Also check the charge options (sub-menu) to see if you have protection enabled or not (enabled = reduced charge power from these beasts).

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
There have been tons of map updates in the last couple days. Porsche Nav should find Ionity chargers. Just set it as your destination manually and it should preheat the battery. Like AMERCY said it depends strongly on your state of charge. I drove to Italy last weekend. On my way there I stopped at Ionity at about 25% and it never went above 150kw. On my way back I stopped at Ionity at 11% and it went straight to 259kw - 30ish minutes to 94%.

The Porsche Center chargers: does anyone know what the Taycan/Porsche charging card/app charges when using them??? If you look at the official prices of the App, it says besides Ionity, everything else is pretty expensive. I went to Porsche and they said they dont know. It should be what the app says. However, my friend went to Porsche the other day and charged for 30 minutes at the 350kw charger. It cost him 12 CHF (~13 USD). Looking at the Porsche Charging Service price list, it doesnt make any sense. It's funny how Porsche themselves (at least Switzerland) doesnt know.

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Would also like to know this. I am going to Sheffield next week for a few days. The Porsche Centre there have the 350kW chargers however they are not on the Porsche Charging Service app.

Be nice to get there and charge at the highest kW as possible. They state on their website:

"Our new super charging station will allow us to charge the New Porsche Taycan to 80% charge in 20 minutes!". Assume that is in the right conditions.

Edit: found the 350kW charger on the Porsche Charging Service app. Now just need to know how to put the car in its best condition to charge at max rate.
I was there today and tried them out. They have 2 350kw chargers you need the Porsche charging card to activate the charge.
Think I was charged 30p per kWh looking at my charging app. I forgot to ask if they are on/accessible out of opening hours

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was there today and tried them out. They have 2 350kw chargers you need the Porsche charging card to activate the charge.
Think I was charged 30p per kWh looking at my charging app. I forgot to ask if they are on/accessible out of opening hours
Thanks. Yes I have the charging card.

I called them a few days ago. Available between 7am and 6pm.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There have been tons of map updates in the last couple days. Porsche Nav should find Ionity chargers. Just set it as your destination manually and it should preheat the battery. Like AMERCY said it depends strongly on your state of charge. I drove to Italy last weekend. On my way there I stopped at Ionity at about 25% and it never went above 150kw. On my way back I stopped at Ionity at 11% and it went straight to 259kw - 30ish minutes to 94%.

The Porsche Center chargers: does anyone know what the Taycan/Porsche charging card/app charges when using them??? If you look at the official prices of the App, it says besides Ionity, everything else is pretty expensive. I went to Porsche and they said they dont know. It should be what the app says. However, my friend went to Porsche the other day and charged for 30 minutes at the 350kw charger. It cost him 12 CHF (~13 USD). Looking at the Porsche Charging Service price list, it doesnt make any sense. It's funny how Porsche themselves (at least Switzerland) doesnt know.
Free in year 1 right (UK at least) with your card?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Free in year 1 right (UK at least) with your card?
Is the amount of energy supplied free of charge for the first year in the U.K.?
I only have the Porsche subscription fee included in the 3 year deal, but any energy consumed is charged. At Ionity stations that is very favourable now. The subscription is for one year at a time and renews automatically. All the costs for charging are invoiced from MyPorsche on a monthly basis.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hmm not sure. I thought it was the subscription and the charge for electric for the first year but on reflection I could be wrong and is just the subscription.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
You guys in the UK got a different package as the others in europe. We have a 3 year free subscription that lets us use Ionity chargers for a lot less than regular users. Thats about it. Nothing else that is special about it. But with the Porsche Charging card the Porsche 350kw chargers should be priced low for everyone. So far no Porsche center knows the real numbers on that. I cannot finde it anywhere on Porsche websites, no matter which language. I think the only way to know is to call the company that runs them, the Porsche Smart Mobility GmbH.

Vintageice

First Name
Ismaiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan
Country flag
Hi guys,

This is my first post on here.

Had my Taycan delivered yesterday.

Took it to a Ionity 350kw (darwen/blackburn services) charging station this evening, my very first charge.

Signed in as guest. Still waiting on the card from Porsche.

69pence per kW

Total cost £45.12 Inc vat.

Works out around 25p mile.

Didn't realise it would cost so much.

Didn't work on two stations, finally charged on the third station with the help of customer support team.

Couldn't take out the charging port until they unlocked it on their end and locked and unlocked the car.

Charged up very quickly.

Starting at 15% - 28 miles

Got to 85% in 26 minutes

Ended at 95% - 191 miles

Total time 35 mins

Used the car for 20 mins prior in sport plus mode.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
To pre-condition the battery prior to charging use the NAV and select the location as your destination or add manually as a stopover. No need to do this any other way.

It's not essential to pre-condition either but can reduce charging times. I've yet to do it and would never do it when charging at home.

Enjoy the new toy!

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Great idea, just wish the Porsche nav would find the Ionity chargers more often!
To pre-condition the battery prior to charging use the NAV and select the location as your destination or add manually as a stopover. No need to do this any other way.
Sponsored