f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Personally I'll probably jump to the Panamera EV should that happen.
The Panamera shares a VW group platform used on the Audi A8 and Bentley (and maybe others I don't know) too so it is very likely that there is a VW group EV platform being developed now for that class of big saloon.

I also agree that until all the models are covered with an EV variant significant changes to the Taycan would be unlikely. Improvements under the skin shared across the entire EV range, like battery or inverter improvements which could be cost, weight or performance improvements, perhaps.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer told me they're now selling more Taycans than 911's.
I read the same but the reality is that the market for the 911 and Boxter being so small is the reason Porsche was bailed out by VW a few years ago.
The Porsche developed VW based Cayenne then Macan became big sellers which saved Porsche's bacon.

The Taycan is the first Porsche lead development for many years that has a big market potential and it was always likely to outsell the niche products.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The Panamera shares a VW group platform used on the Audi A8 and Bentley (and maybe others I don't know)
Drivetrain – engines, gearbox, differentials – are shared with Lamborghini Urus.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The Taycan is the first Porsche lead development for many years that has a big market potential and it was always likely to outsell the niche products.
If they can make enough of them of course. The big news topic lately has been which manufacturer secured enough parts to produce the cars they say they plan to make, with emphasis on EV battery components. I think I saw some announcement that both Tesla and VW secured some good numbers of battery components for the next 3 years, though unclear whether VW includes Porsche or is Porsche on its own when it comes to sourcing components.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
unclear whether VW includes Porsche or is Porsche on its own when it comes to sourcing components.
They are supposed to be selling off part of Porsche, which I don't see as a good thing for Porsche, personally.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Agree with the other comments. I think there'll be the Macan EV and potentially a Panamera EV before the next incarnation of the Taycan. Personally I'll probably jump to the Panamera EV should that happen.
The Taycan is what the Panamera was supposed to be, as the limitations of a front-engine car to the signature 911 silhouette were unsurmountable. The front-engine led to some grotesque, earlier renditions of the Panamera most would rather not remember.

Curious why would someone jump to the Panamera when the Taycan is the complete, unconstrained embodiment of the Porsche fly-line in a 4-door sedan?

Going to Macan EV, I get it, but to the Panamera EV?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The Taycan is what the Panamera was supposed to be, as the limitations of a front-engine car to the signature 911 silhouette were unsurmountable. The front-engine led to some grotesque, earlier renditions of the Panamera most would rather not remember.

Curious why would someone jump to the Panamera when the Taycan is the complete, unconstrained embodiment of the Porsche fly-line in a 4-door sedan?

Going to Macan EV, I get it, but to the Panamera EV?
More luxurious than the Taycan would be one reason and the ability to fit a tow hook.

If the two models are to survive then there will have to be a clear differentiator.

Pana EV will have a new floorplan and won't rely on the old one.

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
A very good description of the Taycan's beautiful design :like::like:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
They are supposed to be selling off part of Porsche, which I don't see as a good thing for Porsche, personally.
Me neither. The cost structure of cars is changing towards having higher and higher proportion spent on the development/engineering side, which needs to be amortized over the entire volume of cars. The days of most of the cost coming from manufacturing and physical materials are going away. With this new structure, the higher volume cars have a tremendous advantage over lower volume cars, simply because they will have a much higher budget for things like software development. For example a Toyota Corolla has and will have much better infotainment than a Rimac Nevera, even though the latter has a MSRP 100 times higher. All the profit from the all the Neveras sold will never come even close to the total profit from all Corollas sold. Porsche sharing engineering and development (as well as component procurement) costs with VW and Audi was a good thing for Porsche.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can they redesign the bloody armrest on the Taycan in the next one please ? Take a leaf out of other manufacturers perhaps and make it more useable ?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Can they redesign the bloody armrest on the Taycan in the next one please ? Take a leaf out of other manufacturers perhaps and make it more useable ?
it's quite comfortable as an armrest though.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
The Panamera shares a VW group platform used on the Audi A8 and Bentley (and maybe others I don't know) too so it is very likely that there is a VW group EV platform being developed now for that class of big saloon.

I also agree that until all the models are covered with an EV variant significant changes to the Taycan would be unlikely. Improvements under the skin shared across the entire EV range, like battery or inverter improvements which could be cost, weight or performance improvements, perhaps.
I agree with that PoV. Also, I am not sure what external improvements are needed - it just looks great from every angle. Maybe just a few tweaks to bumpers etc may come but I doubt it...for now

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
More luxurious than the Taycan would be one reason and the ability to fit a tow hook.

If the two models are to survive then there will have to be a clear differentiator.

Pana EV will have a new floorplan and won't rely on the old one.
I don't think they will ever make a Panamera EV. Because Taycan IS the Panamera EV.

Sure Panamera has more bling with more chrome bits inside and out, but I cannot say it's more luxurious than a Taycan.

In fact, I think they left out the aluminum/chrome bits in Taycan just to prevent it from cannibalizing Panamera sales. If Taycan had the same bling bling interior as the Panamera, then no one would have bought a Panamera after Taycan's launch.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
In fact, I think they left out the aluminum/chrome bits in Taycan just to prevent it from cannibalizing Panamera sales. If Taycan had the same bling bling interior as the Panamera, then no one would have bought a Panamera after Taycan's launch.
The two cars have some pretty fundamental differences, the drivetrain and method of propulsion, for one. I don't think people are making decisions on which one to buy based on aluminium and chrome "bits".

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
The two cars have some pretty fundamental differences, the drivetrain and method of propulsion, for one. I don't think people are making decisions on which one to buy based on aluminium and chrome "bits".
If you want an electric sedan, get the Taycan.

If you want a petrol-powered sedan, then get the Panamera.

The point you make doesn't add any value to the discussion.
Sponsored