Is there going to be a new Taycan?

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Hey guys,

As we all know Taycan is Porsche's first attempt at making a fully electric vehicle. I think they did a terrific job, but I also think that most of their design choices were heavily influenced by Tesla.

So I'm curious if Porsche will be making a brand new Taycan in the next 2-3 years? Or will they be following Tesla's playbook and keep the car as is with minimal upgrades every now and then?

Tesla has been making the Model S since 2012, and the body of the car is pretty much the same today except for some facelifts and improvements.Taycan has been around since 2019, how long do you think we'll be seeing the same chassis/design?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
but I also think that most of their design choices were heavily influenced by Tesla.
Like what…?
Exterior design is very Porsche.
They didn’t do the single tablet screen.
The charging controls are clearly different (based on grumpy forum).
They didn’t do one-pedal driving (brake regen is totally different).

They’re both electric though. So, there’s that.
So I'm curious if Porsche will be making a brand new Taycan in the next 2-3 years? Or will they be following Tesla's playbook and keep the car as is with minimal upgrades every now and then?
Typcially 7 years between generations with minor refresh after 4 years into a new generation.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
The standard upgrade sequence for established models is a 4 year refresh (MY24 in 2003) and an 8 year new model (MY28 in 2007).

But Taycan has had a birth with new variants in it's first 3 years - and there is the supply/covid situation - So it could be that there is a one or two year delay in the 4 or the 8 year timeframe (a pure guess) - and this could be moderated according to new EV step change developments.....

But the fact that the EV development speed is so very rapid - so it may be that the traditional development process changes and mini updates are done each 1-2 years to keep up with tech.

In addition - Porsche and VW are bringing on stream a new EV platform for Bentley/Lambo and top end Audis etc...... And that is estimated to be available for Taycan later in this decade so 2027/8/9?....... It could be that any 8 year model change could be synchronised to that.

I think given the rate of change in the EV development - the 4-8 year traditional stages could be moderated to decent changes every couple of years - and then a change to a new platform (and hence a new model) in 2028..

just a crystal ball guess

FWIW

Last edited:

Deleted member 7736

Purely a wild guess here... I think Porsche is going to be a lot more focused on bringing new EV's to market than they are refreshing a model they already can't make enough of to fulfill demand. My dealer told me they're now selling more Taycans than 911's. That's saying something. I'm guessing we may see a minor cosmetic refresh, and perhaps a bump in battery pack spec but I wouldn't expect anything dramatic for a while.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Like what…?
The charging controls are clearly different (based on grumpy forum).
They didn’t do one-pedal driving (brake regen is totally different).

They’re both electric though. So, there’s that.

Typcially 7 years between generations with minor refresh after 4 years into a new generation.
Add 2-speed transmission to your list.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
They often make some of the bigger powertrain changes in the .2 refresh. Consider the 991 gen 911 that went from NA to Turbo across the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see meaningful powertrain improvements but minimal to no styling and interior changes in the .2 taycan refresh. Like others I do think that even the refresh may be a few years out as they are likely focused on getting the EV Macan out ASAP, and given the covid dynamics when the taycan was released. I'd bet probably the 2025 model year could see the .2 refresh

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Like what…?
The proportions are solely based on Tesla Model S IMO.

They did a lot of screens with a touch interface, whereas other Porsche's have solid buttons.

Also:
The glass roof which doesn't open: Tesla did that first

I mean you're also right, but it's clear that Porsche guys took the Model S as their main competition when they were doing the Taycan.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The proportions are solely based on Tesla Model S IMO.
I don’t see it. Do you have a specific example?

They did a lot of screens with a touch interface, whereas other Porsche's have solid buttons.

Also:
The glass roof which doesn't open: Tesla did that first
Maybe. I haven’t researched the history of glass roofs to verify that. But regardless. Even if I grant the fixed glass roof and increase in touch screen based controls, I don’t think that elevates the influence to the claimed amount of “most”.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Purely a wild guess here... I think Porsche is going to be a lot more focused on bringing new EV's to market than they are refreshing a model they already can't make enough of to fulfill demand. My dealer told me they're now selling more Taycans than 911's. That's saying something. I'm guessing we may see a minor cosmetic refresh, and perhaps a bump in battery pack spec but I wouldn't expect anything dramatic for a while.
Yep. They have to electrify every model in the next 15 years, that is their priority! The only thing they need for the Taycan to stay competitive is better battery and power electronics tech.

The real model upgrade for the Taycan will come with a new platform...

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey guys,

As we all know Taycan is Porsche's first attempt at making a fully electric vehicle. I think they did a terrific job, but I also think that most of their design choices were heavily influenced by Tesla.

Tesla has been making the Model S since 2012, and the body of the car is pretty much the same today except for some facelifts and improvements.Taycan has been around since 2019, how long do you think we'll be seeing the same chassis/design?
Agree with the other comments. I think there'll be the Macan EV and potentially a Panamera EV before the next incarnation of the Taycan. Personally I'll probably jump to the Panamera EV should that happen.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
MY 2027

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My dealer told me they're now selling more Taycans than 911's. That's saying something.
It is not necessarily saying anything given current market conditions. Today dealers are selling everything they can get their hands on, so naturally it would follow that they will sell more of the model that Porsche produces more, i.e. the most sold car is not the most popular car, it's just the one they manage to make the most of. They must have a real production slowdown on 911's if tiny Taycan numbers exceeded it.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is not necessarily saying anything given current market conditions. Today dealers are selling everything they can get their hands on, so naturally it would follow that they will sell more of the model that Porsche produces more, i.e. the most sold car is not the most popular car, it's just the one they manage to make the most of. They must have a real production slowdown on 911's if tiny Taycan numbers exceeded it.
Again, another nonsense post by the Tesla troll. Before you post drivel like this, you might do a little basic research about 911 sales history. Taycan annual sales are higher than 911 sales have ever been. In any year. Ever.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Again, another nonsense post by the Tesla troll. Before you post drivel like this, you might do a little basic research about 911 sales history. Taycan annual sales are higher than 911 sales have ever been. In any year. Ever.
If they sell every 911 and Taycan they produce with people on wait lists, that means the sales numbers are production constrained, i.e. there is untapped demand for more than they can produce for which you don't have any numbers, therefore you have no clue which one would sell more if production capacity was not severely limited as it is right now. Sorry, I fail to see your logic here even if you were to back up your claims with sourced data.

I also fail to see a Tesla connection, how you made a leap from someone saying 911 vs. Taycan numbers are production constrained therefore cannot be compared, to calling them a Tesla troll. The only explanation I can think of is that you call anyone a Tesla troll who owns a Tesla who makes any statements you don't like or disagree with, in which case I suggest you lookup the definition of a troll.
Sponsored

Last edited: