Is this plan a bad idea?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My original plan for taking delivery of my Taycan was to fly to Los Angeles and do the PCELA experience, get it wrapped and coated in LA, drive from LA to Las Vegas to visit family, then drive the rest of the way back to central Texas.

Of course, these days the prospect of flying isn't a great idea. I'd hoped that by the time my car was ready (currently scheduled for October 23) that the Pandemic will have abated somewhat, but now as infection rates skyrocket, I'm far less confident it'll be safe to fly by then.

Additionally, while my initial looks at the trip back using A Better Route Planner indicated it would be possible to make the trip, now it's indicating that the gap between Las Vegas and Phoenix is too great. It does seem doable using RV parks for charging in Kingman, about halfway between the two cities, according to information available from plugshare, but that information isn't available to ABRP for what it's worth. And this complication made me a little more apprehensive.

And then when I ran across a completely unrelated video of someone describing road tripping through that desert between LA and LV in an ICE car, I really started to question the sanity of my plans. So while I really wanted to get someone at Porsche to teach me to drive this car, and I wanted to visit my family, the experience is going to have changed from side by side instruction to separate cars due to covid-19 and the risk to both me and my family may not be trivial either. And since I just lost my uncle out there in Las Vegas I don't want to risk spreading a deadly disease to the survivors either. And hell, it may be far enough out that I can't really make a decision, but it definitely has me wondering if I'm making a series of big (potentially fatal) mistakes.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My original plan for taking delivery of my Taycan was to fly to Los Angeles and do the PCELA experience, get it wrapped and coated in LA, drive from LA to Las Vegas to visit family, then drive the rest of the way back to central Texas.

Of course, these days the prospect of flying isn't a great idea. I'd hoped that by the time my car was ready (currently scheduled for October 23) that the Pandemic will have abated somewhat, but now as infection rates skyrocket, I'm far less confident it'll be safe to fly by then.

Additionally, while my initial looks at the trip back using A Better Route Planner indicated it would be possible to make the trip, now it's indicating that the gap between Las Vegas and Phoenix is too great. It does seem doable using RV parks for charging in Kingman, about halfway between the two cities, according to information available from plugshare, but that information isn't available to ABRP for what it's worth. And this complication made me a little more apprehensive.

And then when I ran across a completely unrelated video of someone describing road tripping through that desert between LA and LV in an ICE car, I really started to question the sanity of my plans. So while I really wanted to get someone at Porsche to teach me to drive this car, and I wanted to visit my family, the experience is going to have changed from side by side instruction to separate cars due to covid-19 and the risk to both me and my family may not be trivial either. And since I just lost my uncle out there in Las Vegas I don't want to risk spreading a deadly disease to the survivors either. And hell, it may be far enough out that I can't really make a decision, but it definitely has me wondering if I'm making a series of big (potentially fatal) mistakes.
If you have the money, you can take delivery at the PECLA and then have them ship the car to Texas. Then just fly to LV and back to Texas.

as infection rates skyrocket
Are they actually skyrocketing or are people just concerned that it will?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you owned an EV before? If not, don't make that long of a trip your first experience with one.

Get it delivered to you! You can always road trip to LA and do the PECLA thing later, that's what I'm going to do. Trust me, if you let PEC know that you wanted to do the initial delivery there but the pandemic got in your way they'll still make it very special for you at a later date.

OP
OP
thenaimis

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Are they actually skyrocketing or are people just concerned that it will?
Here where I am, they are definitely skyrocketing. This is from the local county govt dashboard. No telling what things will look like in 4 months, though.

Porsche Taycan Is this plan a bad idea? covid

Have you owned an EV before? If not, don't make that long of a trip your first experience with one.
Yeah, I'm on my second (and probably last) Tesla S. I've driven from central Texas to eastern NM and back, among other trips. It's not my first rodeo, but I did always have the supercharger network at my disposal.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
LA to Phoenix (via San Diego) is definitely possible. I did it in early March.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
50 amp generators are bigger and heavier - 30 amp generators can be had that are a bit lighter and smaller - NEMA 14-30/10-30 plug on them and you can charge an EV at 24 amps - just need the correct supply cable/adapter for your mobile charger.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can also just have the vehicle delivered to your dealer normally and pick it up locally. You can take a trip to PEC LA and drive one of their Taycans any time now. Fly there and back whenever.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
If you are twenty years old, have blood group zero, and are slim: Drive.

Otherwise, maybe not...

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, I looked more carefully at Plugshare. Is your car a Turbo or Turbo S? 20 or 21" wheels?

I'm pretty certain you can make the trip from Las Vegas to Flagstaff if you hypermile. It's 253 miles. If you have a Turbo w/ 20" wheels this shouldn't be a problem. You'd need to get to 100% in Vegas and drive slowly in range mode, AC on but in eco mode, never go above 60, but I'd do the trip. Worst case you drop dead a few miles short and get a tow to the charger in Flagstaff, oh well. I'd be surprised if you didn't make it, though.

I'd do it. Like I said, worst case you spend 30-45 minutes getting a tow to the charger. Oh well. Vegas & Flagstaff both look pretty good as charging stops based on Plugshare and plenty of reports have this car going much more than 253 miles even without hypermiling.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm an ER doctor whose Turbo will be here, NY, in about 3 weeks. Very excited but to answer your questions I offer the following:
1. Stay the hell away from airports and public aviation/ Period. The advise that if you are young is wrong as you may not get deathly ill but you can easily become a super spreader and end up killing Grandma.
2. I'm having my car delivered touchless to my house and then put in the garage for 2 days before I touch it.
3. Please don't think this virus is abating. Its not and there are more new cases worldwide today then at any point. The fall/winter will probably actually be worse, time will tell.
4. The above advise is actionable until there is an effective vaccine. Sorry for being a downer but science outweighs really bad politics. Good luck.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm an ER doctor whose Turbo will be here, NY, in about 3 weeks. Very excited but to answer your questions I offer the following:
1. Stay the hell away from airports and public aviation/ Period. The advise that if you are young is wrong as you may not get deathly ill but you can easily become a super spreader and end up killing Grandma.
I do agree with this, getting on a plane anytime soon is foolish. If you do make this trip please take extreme caution, both for yourself and others.
Sponsored