OP
thenaimis

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My order is a Turbo with 21" mission E wheels. I haven't done any manual planning yet but Flagstaff is a bit out of the way, when Vegas is already pretty out of the way for my trip back. Though visiting Lowell Observatory would be interesting, if it were actually open. If I were to make this trip, it would probably be via Hwy 93, stopping for a top off in Kingman.

That said, @Skier's advice is pretty sound and what will probably end up happening is I have the car delivered to me in Texas, and I take a rain check on the PEC thing until such time as the risk level is acceptable (e.g. vaccine is available).

Stay the hell away from airports and public aviation/ Period.
As it happens the reason I have family in LV is that my cousin is a pilot for an airline with a hub there. He's back flying again, and I'm a bit worried about that.
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My order is a Turbo with 21" mission E wheels. I haven't done any manual planning yet but Flagstaff is a bit out of the way, when Vegas is already pretty out of the way for my trip back. Though visiting Lowell Observatory would be interesting, if it were actually open. If I were to make this trip, it would probably be via Hwy 93, stopping for a top off in Kingman.
Do you mean at a 14-50 outlet in Kingman? That would be many hours slower than going to Flagstaff. Safer, yes, but much much slower. You'd have to stop for 3-4 hours of charging, versus 20-40 minutes at Flagstaff.

Just curious how you're planning. It's good to get used to taking detours with an EV to find ideal charging stops.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this trip is _VERY_ easy via route 10…50 kW charger in Blyth - 120 miles to the EA chargers in 1060 S. S. Watson, Buckeye, Arizona, 85326, US

You can pick the car up in LA - and drive south via Route 10 to get to Pheonix - if I understand your goals properly.

there are several good fast charging choices along route 10 - an only one 120 mile segment with out multiple options - you might need to stop 3 or 4 times to get some buffer…but there are highly rated reliable choices on that route.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Las Vegas to Flagstaf is 256 miles (as you indicated) - I would stop _IF_ necessary in Kingman for 1-2 hours on an L2 charger.

Assuming the chargers in Kingman are 208 volt 30 amp - that would be 6 kWh for a one hour stop - the taycan is about 350 wh//mile (worse case)

so a 1 hour stop in Kingman would been 6 kWh / .35 kWh/mile = 17 miles range - or 35 miles for 2 hour stop

so a few things
  1. Leave vegas at 90% or more
  2. I think properly driven 256 miles is doable
  3. start slow - speed up every 30 minutes as range appears under control
  4. worse case scenario is a 2-4 hour stop in Kingman to gain some range to finish the trip to Flagstaff
  5. I'm betting if you drive "slow" to Kingman - you can have a 90 min stop in Kingman to gain confidence
  6. drive normally post Kingman with no issues.
yes there is no fast charging - but 2-4 hours in kingman will get you more than enough to finish the trip - so it's not like there are no options…

120 W Andy Devine Ave, Kingman, AZ 86401

powerhouse vistor's center is a 10 reliability rating plug-share L2 charger in Kingman

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Level 2 EV Charger with J-1772 is located on the south side of the building. Located at the Kingman Powerhouse, the charger is available to travelers visiting the Visitor Center and EV Museum from 7 am to 7 pm daily. However, on rare occasions the charger needs to be rebooted and the breaker is in a restricted area, so it's advised to not depend on the charger if using it outside of our operating ours. As of June, 2020, we are open Tuesday thru Saturday, 9am to 4pm. Please check our Google Business Page for our current hours. Courtesy of the City of Kingman Visitor Center. http://www.gokingman.com/attraction-Historic-Powerhouse

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is also a NEMA 14-50 @

22900 W Historic Rte 66, Seligman, AZ 86337, USA

10 rating in Seligam - General Store & camp ground - but NEMA 14-50 is 9.6kW - so again worse case 2 hours here gets you more than enough to finish the segment to Flagstaff

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Seems a bit extreme, @Skier , but you do you.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@thenaimis I completely agree with Don @louv, going through San Diego should be easy and it adds squat to the overall travel time. You really don't want to depend on campsites for charging unless you have absolutely no other feasible routes. It's at best 10% per hour.

Here is a sample route to Austin as I did not know where in Texas you were. I do plug-in 300 what hours per mile which I think is feasible with the 20 inch tires if you are running 21s it may not be quite that good. Love your PECLA delivery, I'm planning on going there in November to pick up my car as well but I will drive down and have my son bring back my travel car.

I'm still undecided on doing PPF. Very interested in hearing what you decide.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Seems a bit extreme, @Skier , but you do you.
Doug you live in a state where the Governor, DeSantis, a staunch ally of the President, opened the state too soon, did not follow the White House or CDC guidelines for phased re-opening and now the state is entering a new explosive phase which probably will result in many closures, more cases and more deaths.
So NO, I don't think my response is extreme, not if you want to stay healthy and alive along with your friends and relatives. Please follow the CDC guidelines, EVERYONE, for your locale. Stay smart, safe and healthy.

OP
OP
thenaimis

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Going through San Diego wasn't really under consideration since my plan was to visit family in Las Vegas, with the car, on the way back home.

That said, while nobody said outright that my plan was a bad idea, the covid risks are non-trivial. The day after I posted that graph of the skyrocketing infection rates, there were over 500 new cases in the county and they had to increase the y scale on the graph.

This morning I removed the delivery experience from my order. I can always make a driving experience trip later, and visit my family, after a vaccine has become available. It's not worth risking my life and the lives of my family to do.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I've made the right decision, and even the dealer thinks so. :)

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I've made the right decision, and even the dealer thinks so. :)
Absolutely agree. I've done the same thing (cancel PECLA delivery & planning the trip for a future date) and I'm confident it will be an even more enjoyable trip whenever we're able to safely do it.
Sponsored