Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Inspired by @tigerbalm and his European tour, I thought I’d post some details and observations from our first trip in the Cross Turismo. Two adults, two dogs and a pile of stuff for a week self-catering in the remote location of North Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.

Car swallowed up all our gear no problem, the frunk useful for smelly stuff like walking boots, dog beds etc.

A few ferries were involved reaching the island and for a day trip to the neighbouring island of Harris. Lift function worked well, zero scraping despite the steep slip roads and chunky ferry ramps. Remembered to activate the ‘transport mode’ from the Connect App to avoid any calls from Vodafone vehicle tracking.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1134

Charging was a mix of 44/50kW DC, 22kW AC and granny charger at the house. Chargeplace Scotland is an extensive network, essential to explore Scotland, but the RFID card is crucial due to the very limited (mostly no) cell phone reception rendering the app useless. For a remote part of the world there was good charger cover, mostly 22kW AC but more 50kW DC than I expected. The DC units can charge one car on DC and one on 22kW AC at the same time (cannot charge two DC at the same time). I used 22kW as much as DC so glad I took the option (we also have 6x 22kW AC chargers installed at work).

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1090

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1118

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1173

Porsche charge planning was not effective where I was, most/all of the chargers were not listed, I found Zap-map was best to find chargers. On other occasions when travelling on the main motorway network for business the Porsche charge planner has been excellent.

I managed to lose the speed limit display a few times on small roads where no navigation data was found, you know that you are remote when this happens.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1171

The car forgot my login a couple of times and the navigation occasionally turned into German. It was a not a significant problem, I put it down to no cell phone coverage upsetting the PCM.

With so many small single-track roads, a few gravel tracks and grass fields to navigate the Gravel mode was useful. The 10mm lift helps but more importantly it also stiffens the suspension notably, feels a bit like sport or sport+ setting, helpful to stop bottoming out or scraping over lumps and undulating roads. 20inch alloys with the bigger rubber gave a bit more confidence quickly diving into passing places -the locals don’t take any prisoners.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1139

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1068

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1146

Some of the white and fluffy road users were particularly difficult to deal with but they did know how to use the passing places, I was impressed.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1178

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1179

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1180

Unlike cyclists who generally do not hear you coming, even with sport sound on, so peeping the horn was the only option to get past them on single track roads.

The smooth power delivery, beautiful ride and quietness made touring around the countryside while soaking in the views a really great and relaxing experience.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1049

Local food not too bad either….

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1155

Very happy with the car and looking forward to the next trip.

Porsche Taycan Island holiday with Cross Turismo IMG_1071

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Outstanding report. Thanks for sharing.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Good to see the 22kW charger be so helpful. A good hint on the RFID cards – even for non-locals. The only time I have ever used the Porsche "Charging" app was here in Ireland when I was at an IONITY charger that seemed to be working, but had a non-responsive screen.

The cars unpredictable behaviour when it runs out of GSM coverage is something they need to fix. You don't have to be as remote as you were on this trip for it to happen – an underground in a city centre can trigger it.

I'd love your dashboard compass option on the regular Taycan.

Looks like you got some good weather for being that far north.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Enjoyed reading this and your report.
Our first trip when we get the car will be around Scotland visiting relatives and friends and probably a trip west too, it is a "standard" holiday for us but we have never ventured onto an island other than Skye, which has a bridge nowadays so seems less like an island than it did!

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Bravo! Loved every bit of your journal. The part about the 'passing places' made me laugh out loud, literally.

Always wondered what those remote islands are like, and now I've had a glimpse! Thanks so much for sharing.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Very nice write up, thx! A few more pics or info on the dogs possible please? How comfy is it back there for them in the CT?

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
Nice border terriers too! Perfect dog for the location.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Does the Taycan read the road signs to figure out the speed limit, or does it rely on some online database?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does the Taycan read the road signs to figure out the speed limit, or does it rely on some online database?
It reads road signs to complement navigation data. It can handle temporary signs in construction areas, etc. It is based on this work from NVIDIA.

OP
OP
Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
It reads the road signs, for example at road works with temporary limits it shows the correct speed. I think it also uses nav data but the signs it reads appear to take priority.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Enjoyed reading this and your report.
Our first trip when we get the car will be around Scotland visiting relatives and friends and probably a trip west too, it is a "standard" holiday for us but we have never ventured onto an island other than Skye, which has a bridge nowadays so seems less like an island than it did!
We drove back home via Skye. Some of the best driving roads in the highlands, lots of long sweeping corners with great visibility that make it easy to pass the hoards of camper vans. Stunning scenery for backdrop.

OP
OP
Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Very nice write up, thx! A few more pics or info on the dogs possible please? How comfy is it back there for them in the CT?
They are more than happy up back, the car is so smooth on air suspension, just need to remember not to accelerate too hard! I have a small cage for them that fits perfectly in the CT. It stops them rattling around too much and when inside they just sleep. Also purchased a foldable cover to protect the tailgate that attaches to the boot floor by velcro. Will post photos when I get home.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It reads the road signs, for example at road works with temporary limits it shows the correct speed. I think it also uses nav data but the signs it reads appear to take priority.
Then why the message about restricted speed limits due to lack of nav data (which I presume was due to missing internet connection)? Or was it off-road, no signs, not on the map?

OP
OP
Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Then why the message about restricted speed limits due to lack of nav data (which I presume was due to missing internet connection)? Or was it off-road, no signs, not on the map?
Despite no data connection the navigation worked fine so the car must have the basic nav data on the hard drive. The location was off the road -well where the navigation thought there should be no road. The system uses road signs and must also verify/check with nav data. Thinking back, on a few occasions I did not pass a speed limit sign after starting the car therefore forcing it to use nav data (or lack of it).
Sponsored