mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Did similar with my 2021 Carrera S in July 2020...traded in my 2014 Carrera S for the car at time of order in July 2020 and they applied the $$ owed back after everything to the new car which was delivered in Nov 2020. No issue and I had other cars to drive...so no problem trading early for me.

In the OPs case if he doesn't need the GTS then by all means he could sell it privately or sell it to the dealer also as inventory is lacking nationwide in the US as most have already said. They do not have to keep the entire amount and can write him a check minus deposit for the Taycan or he can have it applied to the new car ordered. As long as there is a record of the transaction and money applied he is good from that standpoint. Only issue there is whatever the cost of the trade/sale will be tied up with the new dealer till the new Taycan arrives. THAT may be quite a while given the current allocation and inventory/supply issue at almost all Porsche dealers nationwide...so significant $$$ could be just sitting there for a long period of time and no real promise of a car and timeline. Talking to my dealer about 2 weeks ago, he informed me that at least PCNA had NO allocations avail to US dealers for EVs (i.e. Taycan) when allocations were resourced out to US dealers last time as Porsche AG had shifted production of available Taycan slots elsewhere. So he was unable to offer me anything if I wanted to upgrade my current Taycan CT4 or trade my wife's BMW X3 hybrid for a slot. Had no idea either if they would get any next allocation drop from PCNA but was told not to expect anything until maybe Q4 of this year which would mean a car next summer if possible or Fall as a 2023. That aligns with what folks are seeing at 12-18 mos for a car! So that is the only part the OP needs to worry about as he likely has NO idea when he will get his car other than 8-24 mos likely. :(

In my case was able to order a 2023 BMW I4 M50 for the the other EV in the household but even then that is a Spring 2023 delivery! So it's not just Porsche but most other manufacturers having similar issues it seems and convos with many of my friends. Welcome to the US car market 2022 and 2023 folks...
Sponsored

OP
OP

thomas ficho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 targa 4 GTS
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the info. I have called three dealers
The most recent was the most informative who said his sales manager just checked with the Porsche district manager who indicated that I could get my name on the list for the first allocated 2023 with a small refundable deposit. But they are not going to resume TAycan production until 2023. So I'll probably place 2 orders for that first slot and definitely keep my GTS until close to delivery.
Hard for me to get my arms around how a 100 billion dollar company cannot find an alternate supplier for wiring harnesses.
Tom

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hard for me to get my arms around how a 100 billion dollar company cannot find an alternate supplier for wiring harnesses.
There will almost certainly be more than one potential source but that doesn’t mean they can quickly get full production volume from it since a lot of car companies are in the same boat.
Germany is also extremely dependant on Russian energy so any cut backs here will negatively effect the production capacity of all of German Industry.

HZ2004

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT 2021
Country flag
I also sold my 2.5 YO, 2019 911 4S with around 4000 miles back to the dealer I bought it from for more than I paid him for it. Then I bought my Taycan 4S CT from another dealer who had the allocation. No sweat. Federal Tax credits available, though since I am a NY resident and bought the Taycan from a Connecticut dealer, I lost out on the NYS tax credit ($1K). I would not be too trusting of any dealer to hold on to my $$$ and it appears that there is some risk to your tax credit etc. The Connecticut dealer told me to expect a 6 month wait. But it took 9 months. I cannot imagine the setback to dealers and expectant buyers when the Felicity Ace went down. Bummer for all..
Sponsored