Issues with car post WLG2 Campaign software updates and 12v battery

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had mine updated today. It took about 6 hours. No issues so far. I had to relink Apple Music, reconfigure the instrument display to my previous selections, and redo the seat memory settings.
Similar experience here in losing a couple settings. But mine only took 3.5 hours.
About 300 miles since and no new issues that seem to have been caused by the upgrade.
Sponsored

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I saw reference to communication from Porsche about a WLG6 campaign in a Facebook group. Has anyone heard of that?

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
So, today I took a 400 road trip through the Colorado mountains to see how the car behaved after the 12v battery replacement and software updates I received last week.

Mechanically, the car preformed without any issues, but I received repeated electrical system errors on the dash when I would start the car back up after stopping and shutting off. The vehicle alternated between showing warning screens that the vehicle was experiencing electrical issues and I needed service, and the vehicle was experiencing electrical issues and that I needed to pull over and have the vehicle serviced immediately. This happened 6 or 7 times today - basically, every time I stopped some where and turned the vehicle off. I was able to clear the warnings by then turning off the car again and waiting for a minute or two before turning back on.

After already having the car in the shop for two weeks while waiting for a replacement 12v battery, these new issues are extremely frustrating. I will call the dealership tomorrow, and schedule time to have the car examined again, but dealing with this electrical issue is starting to get real old.
Would it be possible for people to add what software version they have had their Taycan upgraded too?

I can only assume that we will get different version updates depending on the continent/country/region that we live in. Which in turn could flag up different or trending issues.........just a thought.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I just picked up my 4s at the shop again yesterday after having it checked why I was getting electrical system warnings while on a 400 mile road trip, and a broken drivers side charge port. They did not mention anything about any new campaigns while I was there.

Just as an aside, the highlight of my visit to my dealership was having them tell me that my TeslaTap caused the driver side charge port to break, and that it would have to be replaced. They said I should have not have tried to plug a Tesla supercharger cable into the TeslaTap I leave in the car and then connect to the Taycan to try to charge. I was so taken aback by the level of stupidity in that accusation that I just did not bother to respond. I did not have the heart to tell them that I had owned Tesla's for four years previously to the Taycan and that I have yet to use the TeslaTap on my car - I had used it on the Audi e-Tron I had previously, so I could charge on my old Tesla wall charger at home.

After this experience with the service team at the dealership where I bought my 4s, I plan to start getting the vehicle serviced elsewhere. The lack of knowledge amongst some of the Porsche service staff about the Taycan, and how electric vehicles function, should be a wake up call for Porsche NA to get folks trained if they seriously plan to expand their EV offerings. The guy I dealt with yesterday would not know the difference between a J1772 plug, a CCS plug, a ChadeMo plug, or a Tesla plug if they collectively bit him on the rear end, nor does he know the difference between charging speeds amongst the various types of chargers available. I realize this is all new to them, but they need to be educated. It is not my job to explain to them that I am not stupid enough to try to plug a Tesla supercharger into a TeslaTap and then into my car.

Anyway, it will be another two to three weeks before the replacement charging port comes from Germany. Two months in to vehicle ownership and I have had the 12v replaced, and now a charging port. I am jealous of those owners out there who have had trouble free experiences with their Taycan. It is an amazing piece of machinery, and I just want mine to work properly!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
next time they suggest your Taycan broke because of attempting to use a Tesla supercharger ask them:

”why would it break the Taycan, is that because Tesla’s supercharger network actually works?”

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
next time they suggest your Taycan broke because of attempting to use a Tesla supercharger ask them:

”why would it break the Taycan, is that because Tesla’s supercharger network actually works?”

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. that is hilarious. unfortunately, the service guy at my dealership would not know how to plug an EA charger into the car if I showed him. That is what we are dealing with. Heck, most of the sales guys have never seen a Taycan used at an EA location. If they did, and saw what a pain in the butt it was, they would be asking Porsche to simplify the process as well.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The lack of knowledge amongst some of the Porsche service staff about the Taycan, and how electric vehicles function, should be a wake up call for Porsche NA to get folks trained if they seriously plan to expand their EV offerings. The guy I dealt with yesterday would not know the difference between a J1772 plug, a CCS plug, a ChadeMo plug, or a Tesla plug if they collectively bit him on the rear end, nor does he know the difference between charging speeds amongst the various types of chargers available. I realize this is all new to them, but they need to be educated.
They really don't have a clue about the basics of EV vehicles. I hard wired a radar detector this week. The fuses have a protective cover that is hard to remove. I called the service department for help. The guy on the phone freaked out when I said I was doing something with the 12V battery fuses. He said don't you know the Taycan is an electric car (duh) and I could severely damage the high voltage batteries by doing anything with the fuses. I didn't even bother to reply, I just hung up and figured it out myself. Needless to say the detector is up and running and the car is fine.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Would it be possible for people to add what software version they have had their Taycan upgraded too?

I can only assume that we will get different version updates depending on the continent/country/region that we live in. Which in turn could flag up different or trending issues.........just a thought.
Other than PCM updates, there's no way for the end user to know what firmware versions are running on all the other ECUs in the car.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I've now driven approx 500km after the update & no issues. Replacement of the 12V battery was not necessary in my case, it was purely a software update.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is good to know.

I am curious to know if anyone who received the update has gone on an extended road trip - like 800km to 1,000km. This would allow the battery to really warm up, since that is when I saw the errors.

I have driven around my city, but not on an extended drive, so I have not been able to repeat the errors I received on my last longer trip post the battery replacement and software update.
Sponsored