I've now test driven all 3 models...and I have some comments and questions.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
There is a now a video on Taycan Turbo S vs. latest Tesla model S performance (Raven with Cheetah mode for suspension). Very unofficial, with 2 races from standstill and 2 from 20 mph. Looks like initial acceleration is the same, but at higher speeds the Taycan gets ahead; they had to go a while though until this became apparent. My guess is that there will be no meaningful difference in perceived acceleration when driven in traffic. The Turbo S I tested felt very fast in Sport mode, clearly faster than my model 3 performance.

To me it does not matter, as I do not plan to race my 4S - the 0-60 below 4 seconds is more than enough for me. I would be curious though how the 4S feels vs. model 3 performance.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
“New thermal models for battery pack and model” for Cheetah mode...ummm ok new model. The model says we run it hotter and it breaks faster. That’s the model.

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
There is a now a video on Taycan Turbo S vs. latest Tesla model S performance (Raven with Cheetah mode for suspension). Very unofficial, with 2 races from standstill and 2 from 20 mph. Looks like initial acceleration is the same, but at higher speeds the Taycan gets ahead; they had to go a while though until this became apparent. My guess is that there will be no meaningful difference in perceived acceleration when driven in traffic. The Turbo S I tested felt very fast in Sport mode, clearly faster than my model 3 performance.

To me it does not matter, as I do not plan to race my 4S - the 0-60 below 4 seconds is more than enough for me. I would be curious though how the 4S feels vs. model 3 performance.
It also seemed to me like the Tesla driver jumped the gun every time, and the Taycan driver gave up. Ultimately, I don't care, but I wouldn't rely on that video.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
It also seemed to me like the Tesla driver jumped the gun every time, and the Taycan driver gave up. Ultimately, I don't care, but I wouldn't rely on that video.
All guys in the video were very favorable on the Taycan as it offers more than just the acceleration from standstill - better quality, more connected drive - and that is from people coming from an impressive collection of luxury cars. It will be hard though to beat the 2.4s 0-60 mentioned at the beginning of the video - and as I said, it really does not matter if they are as fast or 0.1 s different one way or the other. Those are just for bragging rights.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For those of you commenting on the rear axle steering, how much weight is added by this option? And just how reliable is the extra complexity? While the initial cost isn't that high, relatively speaking, it seems like the sort of thing that would end up needing expensive repairs over time.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
For those of you commenting on the rear axle steering, how much weight is added by this option? And just how reliable is the extra complexity? While the initial cost isn't that high, relatively speaking, it seems like the sort of thing that would end up needing expensive repairs over time.
Not really. I have it on my 991.2 TTS too, four years of fun now, no single issue observed.

pkkaiser

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100DL and soon a Taycan!
Country flag
I have a Ludicrous Tesla and now a Taycan Turbo...and have driven the Turbo S: the "punch" of the Tesla is more immediate with a slight delay with the Taycan. After 1-2 seconds though the two are pretty even and of course the Porsche maintains the acceleration longer...

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have a Ludicrous Tesla and now a Taycan Turbo...and have driven the Turbo S: the "punch" of the Tesla is more immediate with a slight delay with the Taycan. After 1-2 seconds though the two are pretty even and of course the Porsche maintains the acceleration longer...
Seriously? I do own a Ludicrous Tesla. The punch does not seem any “more immediate”.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of you commenting on the rear axle steering,
BTW, the rear axle steering was available in the 911 3 years ago and also is in the Panamera (haven't checked the other models). The point being that given that, I assume that it is of sufficient reliability and quality in the Taycan.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I've PTV+ in my Macan. I added both (yep, US performance package) to the Taycan. Anything which makes it handle better in corners, even just around town, is what I was looking for. Probably will come in handy if I ever have to swerve away from a crash, too.
Totally agree, anything extra to get this heavy racing machine with ease around the corners! I added Rear-Axle Steering and Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus).

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

So finally I got to drive the 4S. The second Porsche dealer had one in stock, so I just went to check the car out. Big mistake....... As you can see from the signature, I drove that beauty home.

For other Tesla owners who consider switching, here is my take on the 4S
1. I will not miss ordering the Turbo / Turbo S. This is mainly because I do not track the car, and getting a older makes me less likely to smash the accelerator.
2. The car is PLENTY fast in sports mode. Probably on par with long range model S, my guess slightly slower than my wife's model 3 performance, but nothing that would make me regret not spending the extra 30-40 k.
3. Range is definitely better than my previous P85D. For a 90 mile trip I used 30% of battery. More testing to come.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For other Tesla owners who consider switching, here is my take on the 4S
1. I will not miss ordering the Turbo / Turbo S. This is mainly because I do not track the car, and getting a older makes me less likely to smash the accelerator.
2. The car is PLENTY fast in sports mode. Probably on par with long range model S, my guess slightly slower than my wife's model 3 performance, but nothing that would make me regret not spending the extra 30-40 k.
3. Range is definitely better than my previous P85D. For a 90 mile trip I used 30% of battery. More testing to come.
Congrats! More pictures? We also very happy to get more practical range tests...

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Congrats! More pictures? We also very happy to get more practical range tests...
I am getting approximately 265 miles on my Taycan 4S. I drive all of my cars pretty aggressively around town and from stop lights. I am glad to trade 50 extra miles of range for the smiles and giggles I get when I hit the go pedal.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am getting approximately 265 miles on my Taycan 4S. I drive all of my cars pretty aggressively around town and from stop lights. I am glad to trade 50 extra miles of range for the smiles and giggles I get when I hit the go pedal.
Are you driving in mostly level country, not to hilly? Great range and I am happy to say that I also beat the range by a long mile.
I live in some quite hilly surroundings so I will typically have a decent of about 800 meters and very low consumption, but the other way going home! Still my overall range with a fully charged battery is about 400 km ( about 240 miles), which I am very pleased with. It certainly matches a Tesla M3 in the same areas.
Sponsored